Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thinking about placing my battery in the trunk. if anyone has done this I would appreciate some advise.

Thanks
Ted 92 TT

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By moving the Batt to the trunk your transfering about 50 lbs of weight from the front to the rear. it'll help in the weight differental from front to rear.
it'll also free up some much needed space under the hood. this will allow you to install the dsbc box or other items in a handy location.
My main reason is to give myself room for the water injection system. I don't have fine details on the water system, but once I get the Batt. moved I'll then ask the fine people on this board to assist me in the water mod.

Ted 92 TT

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
well, if i were to do it, i think i would locate it in the rear drivers side under the flap. i would remove the flap and build a box. it would be nice to locate it on the passenger side to level out the weight of the driver, but i do not know if it would fit. if you really want to get into it, gut the rear deck and build a nice box in the middle between the struts. then build a nice deck around it with a cover over the battery. this may eliminate the spare tire but if you are racing you dont want that anyway. i would also like to make more room under the hood.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I ordered a relocation kit from Summit ($49) and relocated mine to the driver's side. Originally, I wanted it located on the passenger side to even out the weight, but when the battery box arrived, I found that it was too big and to make it fit without removing or cutting some of the paneling. I opted for a the driver's rear instead and went ahead with the installation. Since the biggest part of this job is running the wire, it's not a big deal to "re-relocate" the battery to the passenger side if and when I acquire a smaller battery and box. With the current configuration, the passenger has to hold my spare tire in their lap. The fact that the gas tank is skewed to the passenger side reduces somewhat the weight imbalance of the driver and battery.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I thought guys typically relocated the battery to the rear in order to get more weight over the drive wheels, which clearly won't work for us.

Also, does a sealed battery, or maintenance free, or whatever they're called, give of gas like an ordinary battery? If so, you won't want that sucker inside your trunk. Especially if you smoke.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
There are benefits of the transfer for a rear wheel drive car with an engine that is not horizontally opposed, but for an AWD car that has a front wheel drive layout, the benefits are questionable. If you do it for room under the hood, then its prob the only thing you can move, but for weight transfer advantages, it probably in not worth it. Especially if you see how these things launch on a drag strip. The whole body lifts off the chassis, with the nose high in the air.

just my .02, I'm bored at work

Sam

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe all sealed or maintenance free batteries do have a vent somewhere on the battery. I recently installed a "sealed" battery in a 1995 BMW 325I which has the trunk mounted battery. They come from the factory with filler caps and a vent tube. When I replaced the battery with a sealed unit, the parts store gave me a vent tube kit which I installed also. Got to keep the explosive hydrogen fumes out of the passenger compartment!

Brian 1995 VR-4

·
Registered
600 Posts
If I was going to move my battery to the rear, there are a few things I would make sure of.... fist of all, make sure to place the battery inside a plastic battery box... COVERED and secured. If the battery explodes, you want that cover! I also believe that a battery box is manditory for most racing sanctioning bodies if the battery is in the passenger compartment. Next, use AT LEAST 4 guage or better cable. The starter is now a HUGE distance away from the battery and if you use smaller cable, the cable might heat up and melt the insulaion. That may sound far fetched but I had a four guage cable in a car that ran to the back for my audio system. The system was pushing so much juice that it DID burn through the insulation. Luckily, I had a fuse on that cable. Thats the next thing. I'm not sure how big of a breaker you will need but you should put a breaker or fuse on that line. Having a long cable unfused cable is asking for trouble! Maybe you can't fuse it because of the heavy amp draw from the starter but I would try. I'd start with a 12volt 200amp breaker and see if it blows when you try to start your car. Id should be enough...

Hope this helps!
Jose Soriano
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts