Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall, which is a better car (given that they have the same engines)? I've heard that a Base model is faster than an SL because it is lighter. So, what are the advantages of an SL? ABS brakes? Any other notable features? Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
My base has ABS. The only real difference is the ECS unit. It will give you a stiffer ride than the base. I would think that in a straight the base might be slightly faster, very slightly, but in the curves (w/sport mode on) the SL would be quicker. Right now my base model is only as fast as I can push it since my water pump is broken and I have to wait for UPS to deliver my new one.

Hans

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the differences are now, but in 1993 some of the more noticeable things on the SL were the automatic climate control (looks like a TV set) and power windows/locks. I also have leather seats, which were an option on the SL but not offered on the base.

I think the latest base offeres the SOHC engine (all 3000's had DOHC up until a couple of years ago) like the base Stealth was.

Overall, the SL is just a little fancier but it is a little slower with the added weight of the upgrades and gadgets.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
The ECS does give the SL a stiffer ride, but I have to say my Base is already Really stiff. I would have to say I like the Base better.

Advantages (Base)
Faster
Cheaper
Most things missing, you can add

SL Advantages
ECS (Cant Add)
ABS (Cant Add)
Remote Door Locks
Leather
91-93 had the Digital Climate (tough to add)
Sunroof

SL Disadvantages
ECS Shocks cost up to 200 dollars each
The Sunroof has a manual crank
ABS, while not unreliable, can fail(adding to the cost)

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT Base http://mason.gmu.edu/~tluu

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was always curious as to why my SL doesn't have a sunroof. I always thought that all SL's came with them standard... I think I have yet to see another SL without one. I just thought it sucked when I went to look at the car because I was expecting one..

·
'05 Pontiac GTO CGM/M6
228 Posts
Well, I can speak for Dodge, but I hear even from the dealers, that the sunroofs all eventually leak anyway, and obviously don't provide as much protection in a rollover (which i definately don't plan on doing)Also NOTHING is "standard" on these cars except for a few basic things. All are different. You may see a "stripped" R/T or TT and a "loaded" ES or base. Some have leather, some don't, some have ABSome don't, some have climate control, some don't..getmy point? I think that alot of the cars were ordered this way, either by customers, or just dealers that wanted a good selection for people to look at. Just my two cents Happy holidays!

-Ed
'93 R/T Pearl White

·
Registered
253 Posts
I remember trying to race an sl in atlanta this past summer.His car looked just like mine.I was on his back like white on rice.He must have seen me quick with the snake eyes mod and the high halogen fog lamps I had.This guy did not really try to race.He tried going about a 100 but I changed lanes and passed him.Damn that car was too slow.I am yet to find people in my part of town to run with.I think the 300z NA should be much faster than the sl.Without the FIPK, forget it!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 98 SL and it is faster than a base of the same year due to the change of engines base-SOHC, SL-DOHC and yes it does have a sunroof and no its not a manual crank-everything is power in the car. If you are looking for a late model like 98 or 99 i suggest the SL due that it has more luxuries and it is quicker than the base of its same year, but if you are looking for an older model sounds like the base is just as fast as the SLs of old

Andrew
98 3000GT SL (pearl white)

[This message has been edited by AJP (edited December 26, 1999).]

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
First, the SL always had 222/218 hp, the Base had222/218 during 1st and 2nd gens (91-96) and 161 3rd gen (97-99). The 3rd gen base should statistically be "slower" (i.e., not as quick) than earlier bases and any SL.

Second, with the cars that have the same engines, the differences in weight are negligible, what, 100 pounds? That variance can be made up by which car has the bigger driver? Which one has more gas? A full tank is 160 pounds (+/-) versus nearly empty (20 pounds?).

Third, driver knowledge and skills will make it a coin's toss as to who will win between a the DOHC N/A engines.

I've got one of those fat-n-heavy R/T (read - same as SL as far as weighty options like ABS, ECS, leather) plus about 200 pounds of stereo. But my car also has a reputation of being pretty damn fast when blazing down the highway at gatherings.

The weights of the Base (91-96) vs SL vs ES vs RT (all DOHC NA engines) is really negligible and the winner will really rely variations in other variables besides curb weight.

EricB

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might also throw in the transmission variable...My SL has 222 HP but an automatic transmission. I like to think of it as my luxury cruiser!...I've driven other SL's of the same year with a manual transmission, and with the right driver, the manual is ALWAYS faster I think. Sometimes I wish I had the manual (and sometimes I wish I had a VR4 also) but everyday driving makes me glad its an automatic transmission!
Randy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the SL has the additional options than the base: climate control pictograph,ecs,steering wheel stereo controls(an awsome option)leather,more speakers,power seats,some base came with no spoiler,SOHC vs DOHC,i think that's it,i might've left a thing or two...still all models are nice,a lot nicer than other sports cars..

·
Registered
293 Posts
The newer Base models (my 99 included) have only a 160 hp engine. I can tell you that it is quite a performance letdown. I do have leather interior and an upgraded soud system. I do not have abs, however. I live in Westlake, Oh and we just had our first *Real* snow over the weekend. My car drove horribly. I wish I had the AWD and AWS of the VR4, not to mention ABS. If I were to make the choice again, I would choose the SL for the HP and ABS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts