Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all of the brand names, and non brand names that are out there today, which one deliveres the most bang for the buck. I am talking about amps and subs and highs. I just don't understand how one brand can sell an amp rated at some power level for $800 while another sells it for $200 with the same power rating. I understand that some amps produce more current than others, but come on... how much more current justifies paying the extra buck??? I am in the process of creating a system for a <$1500 budget, and am having a hard time differentiating between the name brand crap and the not so well known good stuff. Help me out here.

·
poser
2,611 Posts
It's not simply current, it's internal componentry. Many say that amps are all the same, sound the same, etc. I am not in that camp. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only thing the "same" is potentially the peak or RMS power rating. After that the amp's distortion factor, delivery of current instantaneously (this is also affected by your power system), and other factors come into play. You can get a better apple/apple comparison if you obtain the frequency graph as well as the power curve diagram ... hard to come by.

Also, tests of amps are done while cold ... when they get hot, many begin to distort more than reported.

Think of it as a fighter, strong but can't place a punch? fades after a few rounds? etc. You want strength, agility, and long run capability.

So, end the end, you do get what you pay for. The question is can you hear the difference? How accurate of a system do you need? In a car driving down the road, you are losing almost 50% to noise ... so you don't want to spend a gazillion dollars. Of course if you amplify a bunch of noise, you will hear it even when driving. If you are building a audiophile show car, you might go for big bucks.

Plan to spend a minimum of about $1 per watt. Then review everything you can get your hands on when comparing brands. When you decide on a short list, put the list up on this board for some feedback. Odds are you will find someone who has used the stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would I look for on the frequency graph?? I would think that any amp should be able to amplify any signal, no matter what frequency.... or am I thinking bassackwards.

·
your mom
303 Posts
This reply will sound rather elementary, but it should make sense for the most part. Like Mobilebeatz said, the components comprising any piece of equipment decide its final cost (beit audio equipment or your entire car). There are exceptions, often you'll pay for a name as I believe is the case with RF, JL and few select others. One thing to deviate from is paying a high price for something that is really pretty. Often times you'll get an incredibly attractive piece of equipment that performance-wise is more of a piece of something else, not in all cases though. There is no replacement for quality equipment, but you'll pay for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
"What would I look for on the frequency graph?? I would think that any amp should be able to amplify any signal, no matter what frequency...."

Yes ... but they don't. Look for a "flat" response, meaning the system responds equally well at all frequencies. As you get to the ends you will often find various distortions. The distortion on the high end is VERY noticable, on the low end you can "hear" anything above or below about 5db off line.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
I had this very same problom when I had my the base modle stealth, I did not have alot of extra money but I wanted a system. So I listened to peoples subs in there car and I decided to get the ones my bro had. They are the mtx blue thunder extremes. These are the exact same subs as the thunder 8000's but the year before, you can't get them in stores anymore but you can find them on ebay most of the time for a great price. for 2 10's it is about $190 + 30 shipping ( these things are heavy, they got a 102 ox mag.) and 2'12's for just $10 more. If you get these make shure you get a sealed box. I have 2 10's with a sealed box and a mtx rt2400 amp (425+) watts and it sounds great. I had the mtx275x (325 watt) amp befor and it still sounded good. So if you dont have alot of money, or even if you do, you will like these subs

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
flat response doesn't dictate a good amp. some of the best amps in the world don't measure anywhere near flat. if you're familiar at all with the $40k amps by LAMM then you know what i'm saying.

best bang for the buck imho:
subs - hsu research 12, $99/each
mids/high - focal 130VS (polyglass laminate) $179/pair
amp - ? couldn't find one i liked. ended up building a custom amp out of a alpine chassis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts