Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Go full mad with GT28 china choo choo bois

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Do some metal turning practise and try if I can fit 20T wheels to my 15g:s

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1gen VR4 GTO. 4bolt block with forged crank. 15G hong kong hairdryers and supporting mods.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
"self-clearancing"
Yeah something like that :D I used the old bearings because they were so little used, so it might be it.

I just got home from garage. I had really fun time there doing some test drive at streets nearby. Now pretty much everything but my MBC seems to be working well, I did not gain any boost from adjusting my MBC. Must test my friends controller.

I also got my first streetrace today. Some cap-head with his old 7-series BMW was clearly seeking for race and I destroyed him on the straigth pull. From street lights I let him go first, and BMW tried to escape from me, but of course he could do nothing to prevent me from catching him on every straigth line. It also seems that my GTO had like 30% more grip than the BMW that was losing grip in every another corner. Thougth he tried hard, almost crashed once :D Yeah it was stupid but fun. Luckily all the people are home nowdays and the road was free from all other traffic.

·
Registered
1gen VR4 GTO. 4bolt block with forged crank. 15G hong kong hairdryers and supporting mods.
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found out that I do not have there any good overall pictures of my car. This post will fix it:

With my limited budget I am not anyhow able to make it look good. Crear coat is ripping off from everywhere. Ride heigth is ridiculously high, but I like it as I am able to send this thing trough speed bumps and things without any fear.

And few weeks ago I istalled also HKS super dragger exhaust. I got it under 100 euros (pretty close to 100 dollars). I like a lot how it looks, but the engine sound is not anymore as sharp as before. Louder and deeper sound though.

I also got those red register plates for next week. They are given to you for a temporary drive, and technically I am allowed to just drive my car to the car shop and back. But luckily you can always tell the police officer that you were just returning home from a garage. Hopefully next week I will finish my engine tuning and after that I will try to get my beautiful second girlfriend pass inspection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Last week I had some horrible problems. Beauty did not want to give me any decent boost, and spoolup took really long. I did all kind of testing to see what was wrong, like compression test, boost leak test, checked spark plugs, etc. Eventually I desided to jamm my wastegates so that it would give all boost it ever could:

max_boost.jpg

I guess that is definition of max attack. However I did not gain even 0.7bars of boost at 2st gear.

Then I thougth what was left. Cat. Took it out and found that it was melted and almost squeezed to the exhaust pipe:

I hammered the cat out and went testing. However I did not bother to take my solid wastegate jammers out. Somewhere at 4000rpm I suddenly felt like I was hit by truck from behind. Crazy power for 0.2sec until I hit boost cut. Datalog said that it was 1.5bars of boost. Now finally my car was close to working one.

Today I put my wastegates back and went testing with my friend. I did some testing first with 1,0 bars of boost. Even though I was running 15 degrees of advance it felt great. So I screwed my boost controller a bit more and had 1.2bars of boost. It felt ridiculously stupid amount of power as there was +-0 degrees warm outside and raining, maybe even some little ice on the road. And now I got first good pull with 3rd gear to be datalogged, something like 13 seconds from 60mph to redline with just using 3rd gear. God these cars are crazy.

Next I will be heading for the inspection. Must be tricky because I am not having a cat anymore :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
At this point of my build im mostly happy about what I have already done. Thougth this is my first car tuning project, and now I would do some things otherwise.

Mostly I am impressed about the quality of parts that were commonly thougth to be completely crap. Like my chinese BOV for some 20 dollars, chinese cluch plate for 40 dollars, fuel injectors for 80 dollars, used china crap intercooler with some 50 dollars, chinese fuel pressure requlator for like 30 dollars, MB map sensor for some 20 dollars, turbo internals for 200 dollars etc. And everything seems to hold up just fine. And of course some weird output shaft from craigslist for 100 dollars. I guess the chinese guys have copied western technology for so long that they nowdays pretty muck know what they are doing :D

Lets see what happens next winter. Now I just hope that everything works until the end of the summer. After that maybe something new stupid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Haha it was epic (or maybe counter-epic depending on the view) today.

Beast.jpg

I have been fighting to get my car ready for inspection for few weeks. Mainly just done some electrical stuff and trying to get as smooth idle as possible to get my emission accepted. I swapped a little smaller injectors from my friend to see if they help. They did, now I can easily say that earlier my car did not run with all the cylinders until certain engine load and rpm.

But today I thought that tomorrow could be the day for inspection. I wanted to do still one test drive and some lil tuning. I felt the turbos were spooling maybe a bit faster again. Good. Until I did one decent, not even crazy launch. First I felt that I got wheel spin, a half second later I heard massive BOOM. I lift the throttle and found that my power train was blown from somewhere. I could not get my car to move at all. I did not see any oil under my car so at least my transfer case did not blow up.

Yea tomorrow I will check what the hell is going on and post results.

17,476 Posts
Good guess Ryan, probably needs a 300m 18 spline output shaft. VCU is probably toast as well, because they will move some if not.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah I also hope it is the output shaft. And yeah it is 18 spline, spare part not OEM. If it was the shaft nobody is surpriced :-D

I have two of badly wearn 18 spline used shafts to broke still. I hope they are enough for this summer, but as soon as I have money I will get 300M one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It was the shaft.

I just replaced it with used one. Maybe it survives a bit longer if I try not to do too many launches from street lights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah and my VCU was blown. Replaced also it with another one that seemed better. Lets see if it does it's job better.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi GTO twin 19T-HL E85 @22psi
55 Posts
Good thing I bought the spare gearbox ;) It really seems that 600hp is not going to be cheap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You did a hell of a job on that one!
Thanks. It was not that bad, like 3 hours of work totally. I did not pull the transaxle, and I have trained this operation few times by replacing my output shaft seal.

But yeah I was lucky I had spare parts avialible from my own garage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good thing I bought the spare gearbox ;) It really seems that 600hp is not going to be cheap.
Yes, thanks for everything bro :-D your gearbox is almost empty soon :-D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Some bad reputation gained from local inspection shop. Fun story, and I feel a bit sorry for the inspection engineer.

Today I got my red beauty to inspection. I just wasted to try if the inspection guy would not notice my modifications and I could get my car to the road less expensive way.

As I got to the inspection I said to the engineer that he should turn my manually controlled fans ON from center console. He went to car and drove it to emission tester. However soon there was a lot coolant on the ground and the inspection guy was pissed off. I noticed that my fans were not running. Engine temp was skyrocketing. I clicked the fans on and asked the engineer to retry. He said that it would not anyhow get passed emissions but I wanted to know if there were other problems as well. So he continued the inspection.

Until he drove to the brake tester. Tested front brakes even though I said it can't be done because he would break my VCU. But as he tried to drive off from the dyno, he stalled the car like 10 times. Yeah, lol, long 1st gear combined with a bit poor idle, aluminium flywheel and sintered clutch was too much for him. Almost killed the battery. Another inspection engineer came there and said me that now it is maybe better that you drive your car out and we will refund you the payment.

So, back to the starting point. Day well spent.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Lol I spun a bearing. RIP crankshaft. Some lil scratches also in connecting rod bearing surface.

I managed to go to dyno yesterday. Just to do some pulls to get a document for the inspection guy that is max +20% of original power (biggest lie ever). I got 340hp from the engine at 0.6bar and 400 from 1bar. However th datalog tells me that backpressure opens my wastegates badly after 4500rpm and boost degreases. And I had really safe 14 degree advance. I guess with good ignition map and new wastegates I could get solid 1.4-1.6 bars of boost, that could give me like +500 hp.

But lol if all went trash as at the way home I heard that disgusting sound under the hood. Removed the oil pan today and found that no.5 connecting rod had spun a bearing. I begin to believe ACL bearings are prone to destroy themselves from a slightest excuse.

Yeah but luckily I sold my daily as I thought that this could be my daily this summer. At least now I have some money for the repair.

·
Super Moderator
21,226 Posts
Will you get the crank machined and slap in a new bearing? It's like you're being forced to upgrade or rebuild the whole car piece by piece.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Will you get the crank machined and slap in a new bearing? It's like you're being forced to upgrade or rebuild the whole car piece by piece.
Yeah my rod bearings are already at second oversize. Luckily there is third avialiable. So, I quess it is new bearings and machining the crank.

But what the god damn could have caused this? New bearings, polished crank, correct bearing tolerances, good oil pump and still my bearings spin occasionally. My engine is just DOOMED.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts