Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you found a bad oil pump main seal at your 60 K? I would assume the seal be removed from the oil pump. I can see a few drops of oil coming through the bottom of the cover.

Thanks,

Perry

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
if you can afford it, go ahead and replace that oil pump too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Matt. The oil pressure looks OK, so I think I'll leave the pump. Do you know the front crank diameter? I'm going to need a seal/bearing driver or a large socket drive the seal. I haven't pulled the crank pulley yet. And I'd hate to buy another Mitsu tool.

Thanks,

Perry

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, your right. But , I think the seal is replaced the same way.

Perry

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yes there is a gasket on the oil pump. but i think his problem is that the little round seal that fits over the crankshaft is bad.

My oil pump went at 85k adn I spun a rod bearing. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
matt - yep it is the seal around the crank, housed in the oil pump. I have to pull the crank t-belt pulley and crank sensor to get at it. The pulley is keyed, I don't know if I need use a puller on it. The leak isn't bad, but it is only bound to get worse. Any idea what the inside and outside diameterof the seal is?

Wow - your pump went at 85K mi. What were the symptoms - low oil pressure and knock? My pressure still looks OK from the threads I've read on the subject.

Perry

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yeah, 85k. My symptom was low oil pressure and the result was a spun rod bearing, enlongated rod, and marred crankshaft. Unless you are so poor that you are eating bread crums for dinner I would really recommend changing th entire pump. You are gonna have it off anyway!!! That will save you the trouble of find the correct bearing.

Oh, go to autozone and rent their 5" puller. It will save you a lot of time and headache. They give you your money back when you retur it, so it is free.

·
Registered
434 Posts
dude ......BUY THE OIL PUMP

matt92vr4 said:
yes there is a gasket on the oil pump. but i think his problem is that the little round seal that fits over the crankshaft is bad.

My oil pump went at 85k and I spun a rod bearing. Just food for thought.
mine went bad at 99k....same result as matt, granted were both turbo cars, but REPLACE it anyways!

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
same result as matt, granted were both turbo cars
It was my SL that went bad at 85. My turbo engine lasted 163k!

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I spent 3 days trying to get the f-ing thing off. I had all kinds of jerry-rigged contraptions that didn't work. So I finally gave in and went to Autozone to get the puller. No joke, it came off in 2 minutes with the puller!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts