Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question... People always say the oil pressure gauge is bad and should be replaced.

Is the gauge the bad or is the sender bad?

Are they both bad?

Thanks 3si!

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,159 Posts
The senders have a tendency to go bad which causes a low reading, but the gauge doesnt have any numbers on it so its pretty useless as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply. Thats good to know! I did a oil pressure test today and had:
  • 20psi @ idle (~800)
  • 75psi @ 3500
Those numbers look good to me but I am running 10w-40 on a NA motor.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,196 Posts
The senders have a tendency to go bad which causes a low reading, but the gauge doesnt have any numbers on it so its pretty useless as well.
Yeah basically this. Also, from my experience, the wire/plug that slides onto the sender would always fall off. I had panic attacks several times when my oil pressure gauge dropped all the way down while driving. Of course you also have the oil light as a cross reference, but its disconcerting. I ended up finding a way to zip tie the wire onto the sender.

Hey thanks for the reply. Thats good to know! I did a oil pressure test today and had:
  • 20psi @ idle (~800)
  • 75psi @ 3500
Those numbers look good to me but I am running 10w-40 on a NA motor.
Those look healthy to me, especially for 10W40. I assume that was when fully up to temp?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah basically this. Also, from my experience, the wire/plug that slides onto the sender would always fall off. I had panic attacks several times when my oil pressure gauge dropped all the way down while driving. Of course you also have the oil light as a cross reference, but its disconcerting. I ended up finding a way to zip tie the wire onto the sender.

Those look healthy to me, especially for 10W40. I assume that was when fully up to temp?
Yeah the connection to the sender is pretty odd. I didn't even try to take it off ?

Yes jrhorne that was off a hot engine. I cross referenced my data with the data you gave me a few weeks back (thank you) and everything looked good. Its great to have the peace of mind!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts