Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Back in from running the 1/8 in TN...

795 views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  JRC 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying it was a blast meeting some of you guys again, and others for the first time. I had a great time. Special thanks to Derek who led us to the track and John for letting us crash at his place Saturday night.

I had on OK day. My best two runs were the first two. On the 3rd run I missed second, and it was a pain in my butt every run after that. Out of 6 runs I missed 2nd 3 times. On the last run I asked the guy handing out the timeslips if he'd seen my second gear because I can't find it. It was bad. I lost way too many runs thanks to my lack of being able to drive.

OK, so here are my runs and the drama that goes with each. ;)

RUN 1 -

Best run of the night. Seems to be on par for me. I usually get my best run on the 1st or 2nd pass. Bad thing is my tach freaked out on me (my fault for not screwing the gauge cluster back in after doing my gauge faces) so I was "racing by ear", more or less. I got a great launch, but I hit the rev limiter before the 1 - 2 shift. Got a good 1 - 2 after that, but hit the rev limiter *AGAIN* before the 2 - 3. What I failed to notice was the second time I hit the rev limiter the car turned off. I coasted for the last few hundred feet of this pass! Yes... this was my best run (as sad as that is).

60' ........... 1.759 !!!! <-- Stock clutch, BTW.
1/8 ET ...... 8.276
1/8 MPH ... 76.125 <-- LMAO!

That's what coasting a few hundred feet will do to your MPH. Ths was a great run... up until the car shut off. :)

Had things been a little different there, I am positive that I would have got a 8.1 or maybe even a 8.0 @ 84 - 85 MPH. That was my goal. A 8.2 or quicker with a trap of 84 or faster. I got my goal, but I should have been a little better than that. It was all down hill from there. Oh, I also managed to beat a certain member of this board on this run... WITH MY ENGINE OFF, but I won't name any names. ;)

Run 2 -

I lined up with a 2G Talon. He had the usual upgrades apart from the fuel pump. Big 16G turbo, 3" exhaust, etc. Really nice looking car. He got a better RT by .2 of a second, so it looked like he got me off the line. We both had lousy 60' times (he got a 2.130), but it was a good run. I beat him by almost a full second. He ran a 9.324 @ 76.130

60' .............. 2.041
1/8 ET ........ 8.535
1/8 MPH ..... 84.261

That was my best trap speed ever in the 1/8. Had I ran at the 1/4 the night before on Friday I would have at least one 12 second slip in my collection right now...

Run 3 -

Let the horrors begin. :( From here on out my driving ability must have decided to sit the rest of the night out. I could not buy a clean 1 -2 shift to save my life. I lined up with an old muscle car. We staged, the lights dropped, and...

VR-4 ......................... Muscle
.560 ........... RT ............... .097
1.758 .......... 60' ............... 1.706
9.558 ....... 1/8 ET ........... 7.372
73.043 ...... 1/8 MPH ........ 83.432

That was my best 60' ever... but I choked on the 1 - 2, and was not able to recover. It may be a good thing, though, because right as the other car was crossing the traps he blew his driveshaft in half. One part spun out in to my lane then rolled back over in to the middle. Had I got a clean run I would have been all over that drive shaft running ~85 MPH. It sucked that I tanked the 1 - 2, but I think it paid off in the long run.

Nothing else worth talking about happened after that. I blew the 1 -2 on run #4 and lost to Sean Johnson. I pulled a full on slow - mo granny shift for the 1 - 2 on run #5 (and lost to John Adams by .2 of a second). On run #6 I again missed the 1 - 2 and lost to Sean Johnson again. :)

It just was not my day... but, it was a blast getting together and racing with the East TN crew. They're a great bunch of guys and a huge credit to 3Si.

Again, thanks to all for such a great day of racing. Hope to see you all again next season!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
matt92vr4 said:
good job, sounds like fun. That 8.2 puts you around a 13 flat 1/4 :D
Gimme more credit than that! I got a 13.071 with a 8.332 in the 1/8. That was a 12 seond pass. Had I been on the 1/4 and not killed the engine on the 2 - 3 I would have a 12.8 - 12.9 @ 106 - 108 MPH timeslip right now. It was nice and cool out, and my car was running great (especially considering it had just got off the road from a 3 + hour drive).

I'm going to make it a point to get down to Silver Dollar one more time this season so I can finally get that 12 second slip so I can end the season on a high note. After that, here comes the injectors and my VR-4 will be hitting high 12s in the 90 degree temps with mid 12s in the cool air... on strict pump gas. Man I love this car!!!

#4 ·
8.2 * 1.55 = 12.71 in the 1/4

#5 ·
Where were you racing in TN. Where you in Chattanooga at the Brainard Optimist Drag Strip? I live hear and I go there quite often with my brother and a few freinds. But if your going to cruise around go to Gunbarrel road by the mall and meet in the K-Mart parking lot. I took a ride in some total strangers Trans Am ram air, we got to 120 on a 40. Then i rode in a 97 Mustang GT with a 125 shot NOS. Pretty fun night. Tried to run a RX-7 but he wouldn't go. He had a Apex'i S-AFC, exhaust, Boost Controller, form what i could see. It was nice. Come jion us sometime. But watch out for the white 95 Cobra. He has a rebuilt engine with a 150 shot NOS, he beat that Ram Air by 2 car lengths at 120.

#6 ·
84mph in the 1/8 sounds good. I wanted to try for a 79/80 stock.
But i got cought up in mods befor i had a chance to go.
I hope i can get a 85mph. If the local track stays open 2 more weeks or so i'll be there :D

#8 ·
Congrats on the good runs, man... your car was looking nice. Kinda had me puzzled when we first got there and you had your headlight out, though! LOL

Glad you avoided that stuff coming out of the muscle car, too. Man, most of those cars looked like crap. They seemed to be running like crap, too- after you left the best times they were running were in the 9s with some going up into the double digits. Should have stuck around for bracket racing. :D

Good to see you and SMO Kat again and to hear that you made it home safely. Are you going to have to do any work on that 2nd gear?

#9 ·
billvp said:
8.2 * 1.55 = 12.71 in the 1/4
I really can't trust the calcs with my car. My previous 8.332 should have been a 12.914 but instead I got a 13.071. I figure less than 1/10 accuracy is pretty good, though. I think I would have ran a 12.827, but realistically it may have been a 12.85 or higher. But, I don't know... the car was running amazingly strong. I really think my trap speeds would have been in the 107 - 108 MPH range. I simply have to get back down to Silver Dollar before the season ends!!!

But hey... I'll take that 12.71. :D

#10 ·
xLSTONEx said:
Where were you racing in TN. Where you in Chattanooga at the Brainard Optimist Drag Strip? I live hear and I go there quite often with my brother and a few freinds. But if your going to cruise around go to Gunbarrel road by the mall and meet in the K-Mart parking lot. I took a ride in some total strangers Trans Am ram air, we got to 120 on a 40. Then i rode in a 97 Mustang GT with a 125 shot NOS. Pretty fun night. Tried to run a RX-7 but he wouldn't go. He had a Apex'i S-AFC, exhaust, Boost Controller, form what i could see. It was nice. Come jion us sometime. But watch out for the white 95 Cobra. He has a rebuilt engine with a 150 shot NOS, he beat that Ram Air by 2 car lengths at 120.
We were running at the 411 Raceway. I have no idea how far we were from Chattanooga, as I am not a TN native. I was just up for some fun runs.

Sounds like you guys have a really active scene up there with some really nice cars.

#11 ·
twinturboman said:
too bad u didn't come run the full 1/4 w/us @ ATL Dragway cause Armond got a 12.8@103 in his RT TT =)

8.2 is nice, it coulda been a 12, but we'll never know =)
Awesome! Congrats, Armond!

I have got to get in to the 12s before the end of the season. I have to!!!

Nick -

I'm positive I am going to hit a 12. I am going to check Silver Dollar's web site one more time and pick a Friday night to go down there. I remember a long time ago a certain "twinturboman" told me that a VR-4 would not hit mid 12s in GA with a MBC @ 15 psi, K&N, and all 3 cats gutted. I've made it a goal to prove that wrong... and it's going to happen within 2 weeks (or I will fail trying...)... with all the cats in place, none the less. :D

OK, I probably won't get mid 12s, but I'll get a low 12.8XX or maybe even a high 12.7XX (is that considered a "mid" 12?).

What times did your Supra pull??? Just curious.

#12 ·
Aerosly7 said:
Congrats on the good runs, man... your car was looking nice. Kinda had me puzzled when we first got there and you had your headlight out, though! LOL
That's my ghetto ram air. ;)

Glad you avoided that stuff coming out of the muscle car, too. Man, most of those cars looked like crap. They seemed to be running like crap, too- after you left the best times they were running were in the 9s with some going up into the double digits. Should have stuck around for bracket racing. :D
I'm terrible at drag racing (as demonstrated by my inability to shift in to 2nd gear). There's no way I would ever consider being in an elimination race. Sounds like we could have made a strong showing for our cars had we stuck around and gave it a shot, though.

Good to see you and SMO Kat again and to hear that you made it home safely. Are you going to have to do any work on that 2nd gear?
It was good to see you too, man! I regret not running against you more and more. I needed to get in a couple more runs where I actually managed to get the car in to second (win or lose) to get my confidence back. ;)

The only work my second gear needs is a good driver to shift in to it. :(

Seriously... the car is fine, I just get a little antsy and start shifting like a monkey in a straight jacket (similar to the way I type...). I've had a couple of people tell me that my car shifts very well. I know I knocked a few months off my clutch's life on Saturday, but I did get the fastest ET out of all the 3/S cars there... with my engine off. ;)

It was a fun day. I can't wait to get some of the TN crew down here to run at the 1/4 with us. It's going to be great!!!

#13 ·
so you tenn peoples gonna drive waaay down here, eh?
just make sure to keep us posted ukyo, as I intend to see your car finally!
(may have to give me a ride in it as well, with the engine on of course)

#15 ·
VBBlckBlt said:
btw did you try to call me friday?
left my phone in the car and got 2 calls, but no ID
Yea. I didn't know if you would see the post before you left so I gave you a call. I let it ring for a while then gave up. :)

I look forward to meeting you and letting you go for a few runs in my car, with the engine on, of course. ;)

I'll let you know before I plan a trip down to SDR. It may or may not be this Friday. I have to check a few things before I make final plans.

#16 ·
okay. looking forward to it. note that i cant get there until at earliest 7pm. and do they enforce the helmet thing? (I dont have one)

sorry to hear about 2nd gear...you could try that auto-tranny conversion someone was talking about the other day :D:D just kidding!

#17 ·
Posted this on the 411 thread as well.

Hey guys, had a great time Sat. Good to see everyone again. Really good turn-out of imports. We ruled though But, the guys from the other clubs were nice, and seemed to enjoy talking to us. Would have like to race that Supra. I don't care what he said he ran, it would have been cool. I got some good runs in, 18 in all.
Robert, your dad is cool, glad I had a chance to talk to him a little. Between you & him, I imagine there is some good video. Can't wait to see some of it.
UKYO Glad to see you again, and it was nice to meet Sonya as well. Awesome you all could make it up here. I guess this Spring, it's our turn to come down and run the 1/4 track Can't wait!

Glad you came over Sorny. Your new ride seemed to run good, Hell, you were quicker than the SL. Hope you had fun as well

Derek, 1st run in the Stealth, how did it feel. Yeah, a bit different than launching from a traffic light with a Honda sitting next to you Glad you came out. Your mom was funny Cool she came out to watch.
McGrath proved, that the best time to run the 1/8th, is when you clutch is blown 8.5xx OMG that's funny as shit. It was cool to see the Conquest run. I saw Cathy over there, teaching Derek's mom to hide behind the trash cans if a car on the track wrecks, LOL! Just kidding...
Adams, how did you get that 8.4 running lean? It was funny, John came, paid his $12 and drove straight out on the track for his 1st run, and got his best time of the day. LOL! Crazy! Looks like 550 injectors & fuel pump is next for you. It's going to be quick. Good job on those gauges by the way. I will be doing mine soon.
Well, I've yapped enough. Here are my best 3 runs of the night broken down. I was very happy with the way my car performed. Oh, and glad I kicked the shit out of the grey Camaro That's what he gets for making fun of us. Great time guys!

R/T: .018
60': 1.809
ET: 8.461
MPH 81.701

R/T: .029
60': 1.811
ET: 8.470
MPH 81.436

R/T: .037
60': 1.844
ET: 8.565
MPH 80.659

Sean

#19 ·
3kgt4me

Hey man. We went to 411 Dragway right out side of Maryville/Knoxville. It's the most centrally located track for all of us, and we've always had a good time. Besides, I was able to get 18 runs in. It was a great time, wish you could have come. Keep an eye out for our threads. It's always titled 'E. TN Racing something' :) Later!

Sean

#20 ·
anyone else think we need one more thread titled "E. TN Racing something" before the end of the year :) don't i always do this. as soon as we get home i'm ready to go again :)

Travis glad you could make it up and got home ok. our crew from up here is definately gonna have to make a run to your neck of the woods at some point. especially since the tracks down there are twice as long as ours :)

Sean you got in 18 runs?!? I wonder if you ended up with more than John? :) Of course he probably had that many within an hour and a half of getting to the track.

my best time was nothing to write home about it was an 8.6xx@82.xx thats with a great 60' of about 2.4 :rolleyes: guess i'm gonna have to learn to launch all over again. oh well will give me something to do while its snowing. i know if i can get it to hookup on snow i'll have no problems at the track :) oh well might try to get in one more trip before the year is completely over with but i guess that depends on when everything shuts down. ok i'm off to drop/add some class. yak at ya'll later....

#21 ·
where exactly is Brainerd Optimist ?? Is it off Ringgold Rd?? I've been all over Brainerd Rd. (not looking for Brainerd Optimist though) and have never seen it. Is it open all year long?

Damn the Titans are getting brutalized :(

#22 ·
Glad to see everyone had a good time. Not sure if I'm going to run again this season. I had 2 really good, and almost identical runs, so I'm happy :) Yeah, 18 runs Robert. I might have had more if that car Travis was racing didn't blow up. Travis, glad nothing happened to you on that run buddy :eek: Later guys!

Sean

#23 ·
Sean Johnson said:
Glad to see everyone had a good time. Not sure if I'm going to run again this season. I had 2 really good, and almost identical runs, so I'm happy :) Yeah, 18 runs Robert. I might have had more if that car Travis was racing didn't blow up. Travis, glad nothing happened to you on that run buddy :eek: Later guys!

Sean
Thanks man... But something did happen. I roasted my clutch really good, but I geuss that's better than hitting a spinning driveshaft at ~85 MPH. ;) Not to mention is must have scared the driving ability right out of me... :(

I think I am going to the 1/4 on the 16th of next month. Last day the track is open. I hope it's not as bad as Commerce was. Maybe I'll go this Friday as to avoid the rush. Decisions, decisions...

#24 ·
Well I do not think you can really judge a 1/4 time from an 1/8 time because there are too many variables. I did a 8.0* 1/8 with a 13.07 1/4 becasue the car did not want to pull hard for the rest of third gear. The clutch was slipping and I was getting spark blow-out. The next time out with fresh plugs and a new clutch, I did a best of 12.77 with a 8.1 1/8th. Another time with cooler weather and a 1.77 60ft, I did another 8.1 cause I couldn't hit 2nd right away off the rev limiter, but the turbos held boost much longer through third (I had reset the ECU since the car felt like timing had been pulled on the previous run) and I did an all time best of 12.55 at only 115.6 mph. My best trap was 116 for a high 12. Very strange numbers and honestly too many variables to gauge what changed.

Sam

#25 ·
ukyo said:

Thanks man... But something did happen. I roasted my clutch really good, but I geuss that's better than hitting a spinning driveshaft at ~85 MPH. ;) Not to mention is must have scared the driving ability right out of me... :(

I think I am going to the 1/4 on the 16th of next month. Last day the track is open. I hope it's not as bad as Commerce was. Maybe I'll go this Friday as to avoid the rush. Decisions, decisions...
hmmm...it just might be a good idea to try for this friday! if i make that long a trip, i want more than 1 or 2 runs!!!
i'll see what we have planned so far

#26 ·
travis seems like the best time to run is with a failing clutch ie johns 8.5xx with it completely shot. at least since you know its going anyway no need to baby it :)

3kgt4me if knoxville dragway is open in two weeks i'm probably gonna run out there on saturday. i'll keep the threads filled. i'll probably invite the dsm guys again. they seem pretty eager to go back :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.