Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So My Inner Axle boots both exploded and threw grease everywhere, I was thinking of buying a new axle on rock auto for the drivers side for around $60 shipped, they do not have the passenger side in stock though. Does the passenger side come apart and you can replace just the boots? Im not sure if I trust the quick fix ones on a lowered car? What would you guys do for the passenger side? I may have a line on a used one as well. Or I can buy 2 Dorman 614004 if they come apart and I can just throw new boots on? Also, Has any one had any luck with the quick fix boots? These come split. I may try it.

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,539 Posts
Yes, you can disassemble the inner Cv on either side and just replace the boot. Same P/N boot fits both sides. In fact, the boot is all that is holding those inner joints together when the axle is off the car. There is a good video on the procedure on youtube. I'm at work now, can give you more details tonight.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some today, and that is crazy! Looks like you need snap ring pliers to do the job right, but that’s really crazy to me there’s nothing holding it together when it’s disassembled. Learn something new everyday

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,539 Posts
Make sure the boots you have are tri-lobe shaped on the inside on the big end. They need to be to fit the metal cup properly. Some places sell round boots and expect them to seal and they never will. One that fits properly is Beck/Arnley #103-2855. There are also other brands that are the right shape. Also suggest you be very careful when you pull the axle out of the transmission not to damage the axle seal, it's very easy to do (damage them!). The boot kits come with new grease, but you can also buy more separately, Dorman #03618. Sounds like you found a video but here's a link anyway:
Cv Boot Replacement
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NICE! you just made me smile! Ill gladly pay that! Going to buy 2 of the beck/arnley, plus now I know I dont have some cheapo axle in my car as well!

It says that is for the rear, it will work on the front, correct?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
Alright so I got the drivers side axle out. The inner axle part won’t fucking move. What am I missing?
Most likely the retaining ring (snap ring type) on outer edge inside of axle end housing, that keeps inside star unit from sliding out of housing. Be careful when sliding joint star unit out of housing as the three ball sockets might fall off star hub when pulled out of housing. Then there should be a snap ring holding star unit onto axle splines, note orientation of star unit on axle as it needs to stay in same orientation as star unit on other end (similar to universal joints on a drive shaft). Then old boot can be slid off and new one slid on axle, then reinstall star unit to axle end (in same orientation as removed) plus retaining snap ring, then back into axle end housing and finally inside housing snap ring. Then you can squeeze extra grease in assembly, move new boot into position and install clamps on both ends.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
My mistake I didn’t know you meant sliding out of trans-axle. Can’t tell from picture if that’s end after shaft support assembly or end at trans-axle, if at shaft support just remove whole support assembly. If at trans-axle, there’s a round spring retainer on end of shaft that keeps it from easily sliding out, use small pry bar or large long screwdriver to pry it out a little (which compresses retainer into splines) then it will slide out without much force. But be careful not to damage seal when prying out.

I also see these use three point star unit where many are four star units.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So there’s a spring clip behind the 3 star thing? I quit for the night cuz it’s not moving. After beating it with a hammer for 30 min it’s still not going any where. Now I’m just damaging the fucking thing. Might have to take the whole intermediate shaft out because somewhere my information about how it comes out is wrong. Frustrating!

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
So there’s a spring clip behind the 3 star thing? I quit for the night cuz it’s not moving. After beating it with a hammer for 30 min it’s still not going any where. Now I’m just damaging the fucking thing. Might have to take the whole intermediate shaft out because somewhere my information about how it comes out is wrong. Frustrating!
The spring clip I was talking about is on intermediate shaft where it enters trans-axle. Where outer shaft enters the inner shaft bearing bracket is a PITA to get out that’s why I said remove the support bracket and remove it with inner shaft. It’s easier to separate when out of car and/or in a vice.

Edit: I was able to find the following link where Ninja Performance says you don’t need to remove intermediate shaft, not sure though as it could be stuck and hard to separate under car. But there’s more info in this link dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Looks like that guy ended up removing the bracket. So there’s a brass or gold piece, can’t figure out if that stays or comes with piece I’m trying to get out. I believe it’s the axle seal? Not sure if I pry behind that or on it

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
Thanks. Looks like that guy ended up removing the bracket. So there’s a brass or gold piece, can’t figure out if that stays or comes with piece I’m trying to get out. I believe it’s the axle seal? Not sure if I pry behind that or on it
Not sure the one your taking about is a seal, but I'm thinking it comes with piece you're trying to remove. The attached photos might help.
1600995895600.png 1600995963565.png

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea in that first link I’ve been hitting the green thing outward. But then I’ve been putting the pry bar between the gold and green piece.

but the real messed up part is looped a ratchet strap around the green thing to a fence post, tensioned it, and then was hitting the green thing with a hammer and it still wouldn’t come out.

So I guess the intermediate shaft will have to come out.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
Yea in that first link I’ve been hitting the green thing outward. But then I’ve been putting the pry bar between the gold and green piece.
Changed the links to pictures. But yes the gold piece comes out with the green piece so prying between them won't work, need to pry between green piece and support bracket. But since you've been pulling with ratchet strap and hitting with a hammer I think removing intermediate shaft and bracket is your best bet.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Does your car have an OBX front LSD by chance? I've heard of people having this issue with these LSDs.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,297 Posts
So theres no clip in this part? on a 1992? This is just a random photo so no idea if it could be a different year or non turbo.
Doesn’t appear to have spring clip in that photo. But I suspect it did at one time and I’m fairly certain yours does also, which is probably what’s giving you a problem (if splines not rusted). It has to be compressed inward enough to slide thru splines inside outer axle end housing for it to come off. That’s why pressure from prying is important when trying to remove. Might try prying outward on green piece from different angles in attempt to get spring clip to start compressing inside.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yea Im not sure, but I did find this

4. Driver-side driveshaft. Remove the two 14-mm bolts from the bracket that holds the intermediate piece of the shaft to the engine. Pry the bracket loose from the engine and rotate it out of the way. Have one person pull out on the hub and brake rotor assembly (a lot) while the other person guides the shaft out the transaxle. There is no C-clip on this side. Again, be careful of the seal and splines. Let the driveshaft assembly hang out of the way below the engine.

So I guess thats my method and then fuck with it when its out of the car. I got the new boot on the other section that came out already, but I need to buy new clamp pliers lol.

So in the last week Ive done timing belt and water pump, put in a mishimoto radiator, now doing this, and I still need to put the new lowering springs on my shocks. Its been fun lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts