Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first winter in an AWD (I bought my R/T TT in July). My question is this: is it normal for our cars to slide into a 180 when taking a sharp turn in snow? Unfortunately, I had to drive 230 miles in the winter storm that hit KY. On my numerous stops to clear the headlights of ice and snow (a little bit of a problem with our cars), my rear end would slide out from me. Now, I'm not thinking it's a TC problem because if it failed, I would have front wheel, right? Well...anyway...is it normal for our cars to do this? I mean is it heavier in the rear? Thanks..

Billy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The one experience I had with the rear end coming out was in a parking lot. I was going around a turn at very low RPM's in first, tapped the throttle very slightly, and there she went, backside all the way around.

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here. Does your car go 180 only when you stop? Or when you accelerate? Or what? I think often times people think that 4WD means that you won't have to worry too much about snow and the effects it has on the handling of your car. That's why you see so many SUV's on the side of the road during the big snow storms.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just re-read your post. Yes, it is natural for our cars to go 180 in the snow when making a shard turn. Just like any car that has power to the rear wheels. Even though it's AWD, don't let that trick you into thinking it'll handle the snow any better than any other car. Focus on driving as opposed to what you think your car should be able to do in the snow.

This one is chalked up to driver error. If your car was FWD, you either make the turn just fine or the car would grossly understeer and you'd have the wheel turned but still go straight.

Be Careful out there man, looks like you've got some practice to do!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I don't actually think I'm infallible. I know the limits of a 4WD, but the way it spun around (as I accelerated), it seemed unnatural. In my defense, I did perfectly fine. Trust me, when your first car is RWD torque (1999 Camaro), you learn how do drive right in winter weather. And in no normal case do you gain a false sense of security. I just thought that maybe something was wrong with my suspension, since my negative camber is ridiculous.

Billy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've found this about winter driving in these cars.... The AWD is great for accelerating straight. It causes the rear end to break loose very easily when turning. FWD's do not have this problem as often because they do not turn the rear wheels faster than the ground is moving past them. Braking is not great in the winter - mostly due to our huge tires spreading the weight out A LOT. Best advise for winter driving:

get narrow winter tires (all season hardens at lower temps so will not grip)
drive normal when in straight line accelerating
brake early
turn slowly
do not attempt to accelerate on the turn (this WILL break the rear wheels free and cause spin)

That's it and you'll be fine. But to answer your question, yes. It is perfectly normal for the car to spin very easily when turning or braking.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have used the scientific method to prove this - that is, I have reproduced the 180 degree spin on public roads (albeit on accident). :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...mostly for not being critical. I've noticed that a lot of people in the forums tend to be that way. Anyway...thanks again.

Billy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
He man, don't stress, I wasn't saying you are a bad driver or that you have a false sense of security with your AWD. If you actually read, you'd see that I was saying some people are lulled into thinking that AWD = good handling in snow. I wanted to make sure you know that it wasn't the car, it was you that was going into the turns a little too fast. I wasn't even questioning your driving skill.

I agree entirely that you just need to be careful around the turns, the rear end can come out very quickly.

Again,

BE CAREFUL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.