Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Boldly Going Nowhere
682 Posts
Sorry to go off topic, but Green, I tried to send you a PM a little while ago but your mailbox was full. I wanted to know about the Zenetti Vegas you have. Just, how much did you pay for em, do they need spacers, and where'd you get em?

·
1 slick Mothafu*ka
2,287 Posts
bluefox1081 said:
Sorry to go off topic, but Green, I tried to send you a PM a little while ago but your mailbox was full. I wanted to know about the Zenetti Vegas you have. Just, how much did you pay for em, do they need spacers, and where'd you get em?
I got them a few years ago and got an awesome deal.
I think they were like $200/ea.
and you do need a small spacer in order to clear the front caliper.
You only need a 3mm spacer. What i did was i went to pep boys and got 10 3mm washers.
If yo don't want to use spacers, you can try to shave off the mitsubishi lettering off the front caliper.;)
Email me if you have any other questons.
They're great rims and add alot to the car.
[email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
i went through 3 of them and all of them had the same problem, they did not read the boost accurately. they were usually off by 2-3 psi, personally i will never use an autometer product again, they just dont work 99% of the time and if they do there not accurate.

·
Registered
683 Posts
hmmm.....

I have never had a problem with my Autometer gauges. And to be honest, I highly doubt that they would still be in existance with that much error.

Undoubtedly, there is a percentage of error, but I do not believe that they would allow their tolerances to be so extreme. Especially when you consider the application of this product.

It is possible to get a bad 'lot' of product or even see a few go out the door that are bad. (I'm in the automotive industry-I see it DAILY!) However, this industry is fairly competitve, I don't see it being 'normal'.

However, if anyone can do an unbiased test of Autometer gauges and publish/share the data with this board, I'd be very interested in checking it out.

Thanks!

·
Banned
417 Posts
I have used Autometer gauges for years in everything from my regular old street cars to my super comp dragster.

Never once had a problem.

I have seen people have problems with them tho.

Almost always from improper install.

Ex. pinched line, leaky line, shorted out from wiring up wrong. And so on.

If I did not trust them they would not be monitoring my $50,000+ engine in my race car.

FWI
I have checked my gauges in the past to know acc. gauges we have just for this purpuse. Never found one off.

Just my experiances, yours may vary.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ok good, because just yesterday I ordered a new boost gauge and an A/F meter made by autometer.

by the way, the reason not to go over 15psi on stock engine and injectors is that the mixture will be lean, right? and the A/F meter will report that, correct?

·
Registered
442 Posts
well
if you really want to know what pressure you are reading (for calibration purpose)
go to
www.mcmaster.com
they sell rated gauges, search under compound pressure gauges.
They also sell certified gauges (If you really need to know your pressure to that accuracy and have some certainty)
As far as regular checking, just get an A grade gauge, they are pretty cheap. Cheaper than autometer. More reliable? yes I would trust A grade gauge better than autometer. Autometer probably gets B grade gauges for our car.
I use BLITZ DTT. To my knowledge it reads close enough to an A grade pressure Gauge. So I stay with the Blitz unit.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Even though I am a fan of Autometer gauges I know my boost gauge is off on the vacuum side by about 4 inches. The gauge reads 15"HG but the gauge on my mitivac and a vacuum gauge I use for tuneups both show 19"HG. The boost side seems very accurate and will read 9 PSI (Stock boost) when I close the bleeder valve. If it is off it would be off by a couple of PSI and in my case it should be running less boost then the gauge is showing. Only 13 PSI when the gauge shows 15 PSI. I have to get a new EGT gauge so I will probably try a different brand of Boost gauge when I change them both.

I have run Autometer gauges in all of my street and race cars for the past 20 years and this is the first time I have ever had even a minor problem with them.

·
W*** Member #031
2,159 Posts
What it you bought one of those tubo timers with the boost reading included. Do you think that would be accurate enough to check the calibration on your autometer gauge? Ever since I turned up the boost last week on my TT I've had a drop in boost of 3lbs like a few days later and still haven't been able to figure out where the lose is come'n from.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Guessometer

I've had a few minor issue with Guessometers. My first Autometer boost gauge in my old VR-4 worked like a champ. I bought another for my Talon and after a few days the gauge would sit at -1. The needle did not sweep smoothly and was somewhat erratic. I returned it for another. This one sat at almost -1 but still in the large 0 box. It looks like Autometer recognizes a zeroing problem by giving them a large zero area. LOL Anyhey, after a few weeks the gauge stopped sweeping smoothly and it looked like the needle hit a a notch at around 4-5psi where it would kinda stick or stutter. It was gauge, not the car. A few months passed and it worked ok otherwise. One day I punched the gas and the needle went crazy. I was like WTF!?!?!? After a few more minutes of driving the needle popped off the center and layed in the bottom. The gauges are press-sealed from the factory. I had to pry the metal rim off to get to the face. I just popped the needle back on the center and put the rim back on. It worked ok again.. Basically you pay for what you get. There's a reason why Greddy, Blitz, Apexi etc... gauges are $200-$300 and Autometer (Guessometers) are $40-$60. Will I ever buy another? Maybe if I get another cheap turbo car like a DSM where 'tolerances' aren't that tight. But, when it came to my 'new' VR-4, I don't trust Autometer's enough.

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
the autometer boost gauge in my avenger is off by a couple of psi (about 10% error per dyno information), but the autometer boost gauge in my stealth is accurate (per dyno information). some are bad, and some arent.

·
Registered
442 Posts
umm no...I think you are pushing 11
=]
an easy check is to buy those gauges I recommended to you guys from mcmaster
Cheap and accurate. Why I know they are accurate? Cause those are usually used in laboratories. Yes they have composite gauges (vacuum+pressure)

·
Now BOOSTED
926 Posts
When I installed my EBC, I noticed that when I was boosting 14.5psi, my autometer read 12psi. If you're tuning a MBC with the autometer alone i'd be careful, there is a BIG, BIG difference between 14.5 and 17psi.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.