Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since all the GTO's in japan are AWD, the GTO SR (NA AWD) came with either a 6 speed, or an AUTO 4 speed!

So why hasn't anyone tried to put an AUTO tranny from japan into one of these VR-4's? It would be awsome for dragging!:D:D

*EDIT* I meant to say 5-speed manual, not 6:D

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
Are you sure the SR has a 6-speed? I'm pretty sure their's are just like ours, except AWD.. So, 5-speed manual and 4-speed auto.. and the auto tranny would melt with that much heat going through it from the VR-4.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SilverBullet said:
Are you sure the SR has a 6-speed? I'm pretty sure their's are just like ours, except AWD.. So, 5-speed manual and 4-speed auto.. and the auto tranny would melt with that much heat going through it from the VR-4.
Oops, I meant they come with either a 5-speed manual or 4 Speed auto!
Heres the link,
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/GTO/lineup.html

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
yeah.. still a different tranny..

·
Native
3,894 Posts
would anyone actually want an automatic TT???

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Thanks Sam..
As Sam knows.. I asked earlier, if he could perhands stumble onto the part # of the auto tranny..
and as for who would put it in a tt car?
I would, anyhelp would be apprieciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Actually that is a good consideration for drag racers. If the Mitsubishi transmission is built for our AWD and will bolt up, I see no reason why it couldn't be built up like the Supra auto. trans. is by level 10. A built trans. with a high stall torque converter would help the lag of larger flowing turbos at launch.

·
Registered
334 Posts
>the auto tranny would melt with that much heat going through it from the VR-4.

In what way would the AWD system in the U.S. produce more heat?

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
Ok, if you had a n/a with an auto, you'd understand. Especially since several people have gone through several trannies when putting more than stock hp to the ground.

The AWD auto tranny found on the SR was only made to handle 222hp (or whatever it puts out), just like the FWD auto tranny was only made to handle a certain amount of power.

If you put that AWD auto on a VR-4 with at least the 100hp extra you'd probably burn through trannies like Hans did when he was running NOS on his auto.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
You guys seem to be forgetting tho... some of the twin turbo GTOs had an auto tranny... there's been a couple posts about that over the past couple weeks.
Nobody seemed to be really sure if they came as an option or if they were aftermarket tho.
I could probably find out... if I could read Japanese. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
606 Posts
would anyone actually want an automatic TT???
dave, the best turbo/super charged drag cars are usually all automatics because there's less boost lost between gears on a well prepped auto tranny.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Yes, the Auto base model, and the Auto TT version of the GTO had the same transmission. Therefore it could not be made to only handle 220 horsepower, in absolutely no way.
I don't know if any of you recall, but there was a few auto TT's running around the US last I could recall, but I seem to be lacking the part number, and dealer's haven't been much help.
I would like to put an automatic transmission in a special vr-4, and without the part number, I will never be testing it.. maybe Kormex has any idea of this? But then again.. hmm.
Mutilator, they were an option, they were not aftermarket.
Anyone know the part #?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.