Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how are 3si's at auto-x???
I race SCCA auto-x regularly, but normally drive a toyota celica.
Since I just got my stealth, I'm going to start driving it, but I was just wondering if anyone had any words of advice/warning/whatever, or even comments about how the car drives/handles/whatever.

~matt

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Get a hold of JeremyG. I think he runs SCCA solo II.

Chris

·
Registered
349 Posts
UNDERSTEER UNDERSTEER UNDERSTEER

did i mention...uh, yeah, you get the picture. It's about the opposite of what you want in an autocross car. It's not nimble, agile, and poorly geared. The one good attribute....tons of lowend torque (if you have a turbo). Don't know about n/a's.

Despite these, its still respectable. It's A class, which is quite a compliment. It will do much better on fast courses, and pretty much sux on tight ones. Of course, compared to most cars, its very good, just not compared to the ones that ppl usually use to autocross (miatas, neons, rx7's, vette, etc). Besides, the most important factor in autocrossing is DRIVER SKILL. Good drivers have kicked my ass in trucks! But, its still fun:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Driver skill is probably the most important. Then followed by tires and tire pressure. You have to do some experimenting to find out what tire pressure you like.

For all SoCal ppl. AutoX this Sunday at hollywood park. Visit www.solo2.com for more information. :D

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
I can't not reply... my name was mentioned. LOL

Understeer is right. But our cars are still pretty competitive in A-Stock... I had a great fight with an Audi TT all year long, ended up eeking it out for the win for all year's points.

Next year we are in F-Stock with all the V8 RWD cars (F-Bodies, etc.) I compared my times from this year with the times in FS and I would have come in 1st or 2nd there also.

I plan on competing in FSP next year, with front/rear strut bars, intrax, K&N Intake, Downpipe.

I will also say with the right suspension mods, our cars DO PRETTY WELL.

SUTHNR also auto-x's, I hear he's also a great driver and he can give you info about the NA cars... If you need setup info on a turbo car, let me know.

Oh yeah... at our last autocross, a Celica came (not the newest one, the one before that one... and non-turbo). I had a friend driving my car and he had NEVER DRIVEN A 3S BEFORE, and NEVER RACED EVER BEFORE. We beat the Celica very easily. I think if I would have been driving, it would have been a total embarassment to the guy.

See the links in my sig for results in my region... follow the links on those pages and you'll see results by class for each race, etc... look at car types and compare MY times with their times for a good idea. I consider myself an "Average" driver... it's my first full year doing it and I have LOTS to learn.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
There was a SOHC 3000GT at the local auto-x he ran a 69sec...the fastest time that day was a 54sec i think...from the cart cars. The fastes regular car was like a 59. So thats not bad...he didnt have ANY mods not even springs.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hey Jeremy, where did you hear that we are going to be reclassed as F-stock? I feel this is where the car belongs, but I havn't heard anything on the reclass yet. Anyways, most of the 3s's here would be the Street Modified class. The Stock classes are for completly stock cars with no engine modifications, not even a bleeder valve. The car is very competitive in autocross, but is much heavier, and wider then the cars that do good,like CRX's, MR2's, and Miata's. The car does understeer pretty bad on street tires, but once I started running race tires, the understeer was minimized, and it made the car much easier to drive, and more predictable. The last race of the season I was even having problems with the rearend trying to come around when I would lift off the throttle. Once you do it, you are going to be hooked, and if you do it a lot, buy a set of race tires, because you are going to wear out your street tires very fast. In the 4 auto-x's I did on my street tires, I wore off a noticable amount of tread. A set of race tires will last about a season or more depending on how often you race. We had one about every three weeks from May-Sept. If I did more then local events, I could have raced almost every weekend, and I know that my street tires wouldn't have handled that, but still feel that I could get a season out of my race tires.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think our car is quite a compettitive car in its class. Understeer seems to be the major problem as you probably have already known. So you can try to break early and set the car up for the turn. This way, you can prevent the understeer.
I don't know if the NA is equipped with limited slip differential or not. If not, get one. It'll help you alot while you at the turns.
Also, you might try to inflate the front tires upto 45 psi and rear tires around 40 psi if you have street tires. This will result in a much quicker steering response.
However, if you have D.O.T race compound i.e. Kumho, Hoosier, and the like, i'd recommend inflating your front and rear tires to 38 psi and 34 psi respectively. But if you want a tail-happy car, you can try to lower the air pressure in the rear to 32 or 30 psi. You might get a handful for a quick trasition.
I believe that if you can close your eyes and have the pictures of the whole course in your mind, you have already won half of the battle.
Remember this, plan ahead, be prepared, focus on where would you want to be not where you're going, and HAVE A LOT OF FUN.
Hopefully, this would help a little.
BlackCow ;)

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
FYRBALL MT said:
Hey Jeremy, where did you hear that we are going to be reclassed as F-stock?
Ray
3SI member 1222

It was in the SportsCar magazine ... the mag you get when you are an SCCA member... it never really came out and said it... but one issue it had the "suggested" changes and then about 2 issues later it said the "suggestions" were approved.

I also just found it here:
http://www.best.com/~mouton/sccasolo/Lists/2002/stockm.html#Dodge

(entries changed for 2002 are shown in red)

I got to that page thru this page:
http://www.best.com/~mouton/sccasolo/ which has a lot more good info and links, including on the bottom... general info on what makes a car Street Mod or Street Prepared, etc.

Also, I personally would try to stay out of Street Modified if possible... Street Prepared has a much better index and the only difference in MOST people's cars is that a boost controller or blow-off valves will put you in SM. See SP rules 14.1-D which is very specific about that. Also 14.10-C has some great info.

Here's the SP rules:
http://www.best.com/~mouton/sccasolo/Rules/sp.html

All this talk is REALLY getting me excited for next season... man with the intrax/strut bars/downpipe/intake and Kumho's, I'm gonna be kickin' some butt.

Oh, also on the tire pressures... great advice. My last race I was running 45f/33r and my rear end was all over the place. It was a lot of fun but it was a bit too much. Before that I was running 43/38 and understeer wasn't too bad. I was finding myself hitting the brakes just a little before the turns, that kinda throws the back end out and also "settles" the suspension. IT's a great understeer remedy, IMO.

·
3S Fan, Mustang Fanatic
217 Posts
It's Offical

JeremyG said:
It was in the SportsCar magazine ... the mag you get when you are an SCCA member... it never really came out and said it...
Check out Octobers FasTrack on page three they have the new Appendix A (Stock Catergory Classing) and says it will be active 1/1/2002. So it's offical, we are now in FS.

Jason

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks Jeremy, I guess I should read my Sportcar mag a little better. You are right about staying out of SM, It has the potential to be the fastest street class in the SCCA, but if you have any engine mods done, that is the class that you will probably be running. It dosen't mean anything at a local or even regional level, but once you get to a national level, you will be running aganst profesionally prepped cars taking full advantage of the rules. Next year I think we will start to see many cars in SM that, even though they fit the rules, really never meet the intended purpose of SM. I am happy to see the stock TT 3S's in F-stock, because they really aren't competitive in A-stock.

Ray
3SI member 1222

1 - 12 of 12 Posts