Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem just happened last night, the engine getting heavily, rpm dropped and the engine dead after a few seconds when I put my car in reverse(backing up), but if you put it back in newtral or Parking just before it cuts off then the engine will revving itself up to around 2000 rpm and goes back to normal rpm right after. This problem seem like electrically problem. Any thought or anyone has a similar problem, please post. I did check all of electronic connections around the tranny, and also disconnect the battery to reset the ECU but the problem is still there. I'm really stuck now, help me figure it out guys. Thanks in advance.
Don94

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If I recall correctly, the shop manual chapter on the auto tranny has at least two pages discussing diagnostic readouts and what they mean.

So get out your trusty analogue voltmeter and read your diagnostic connector (I don't remember which pin is for the tranny, but it never hurts to look at them all anyway). Post what you get (or email me [email protected]) and I'll look it up for you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew! I'll do the search this weekend. But first, I have to get a copy pages of service manual. I'll keep you post if I find anything. Oh! Do you know where is the Diagnostic connection? Thanks.
Don94

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Don, I'm too lazy to type the whole explanation in all over again. We REALLY need an faq on this board. If my answer here is not detailed enough, search previous posts for the word "diagnostic".

(I also can't remember what the guy who posted before me said, so some of this might be redundant).

Under the driver's side dash, left hand side, you'll see a black covered fuse box, about 3 or 4 inches square, and immediately to the right of that is a tall narrow diagnostic connector, probably with a black vinyl cover.

Under the cover, you'll see two vertical rows of 6 pins per row. Pins are numbered top to bottom, left to right. Top left is 1, bottom left is 6, bottom right is 12. (There may be only 5 pins on the left side - can't remember).

(this is from memory, so beware) Pin 12 is the ground pin. Touch one lead of your *analogue* voltmetre to pin 12, and then sequentially touch the other lead to the other pins one at a time, and see if they give a reading. Watch the needle on the voltmetre fluctuate.

There are short pulses and long pulses. Short pulses are the "1s" digit, long ones are the "10s" digit, i.e. 3 longs followed by 4 shorts is telling you "34". The pulse patterns repeat forever.

If a pin has nothing to say, then it gives continuous short pulses. Or maybe it's long ones. Well, whatever the hell it is, if you see more than 10 pulses in a row of the same size, then the pin is telling you that there is no error. On my car, some pins also just give a steady reading.

Various pins are used for various parts of the car. I don't know which one is for the tranny. Unfortunately, the shop manual does not have a single convenient spot telling you what all the pins are for. Each section, if it uses a pin, will tell you what pin it is. So if for example you want to know what pin 9 does, you have to read the whole frigging manual til you find it. So, write down what all the pins give you, I'll look up which pin is the tranny one (it'll be in the tranny chapter), and see what it's telling you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts