Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, gone bye-bye. I've been meaning to do a swap to manual for a while, but I kept puting it off. Now I couldn't have a better reason to do it :) Thankfully, the car is going in for the winter, so I'll have time to save up for the swap.

I know some of you have done this. I just need a little info:

- Part list? How much can I expect it to cost me?
- Where can I find detailed instructions, in case I want to do it myself, with the help of a friend of mine (mechanic).
- Any downside to swapping? problems encountered?
- Is the Mitsu manual tranny reliable? Any parts known to break, like errr...Getrag synchros on the TT, for instance?

Thanks in advance, guys.

JR.

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...and another thing: Is there a difference between our non-turbo manual trannies and the Japanese GTO non-turbo ones? I know a guy who imports them (engines+tranny) from Japan.

JR.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Again? How many times is this? Also, how many miles were on the car and what kind of mods the it went again?

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second time. The first time, it was the gears slipping (80K Km). Repairs cost a lot of money, but I had an extended drivetrain warranty on it. This time, the !"//$ing thing stays stuck in what seem like third gear(100K Km)! No warranty left.

I haven't taken it to trans shop to get a diagnosis yet, but I don't care anymore. The bill is probably going to be tremendous, and I'll still be left with... wait for it... an automatic tranny. I figure I might as well do the swap, since I've been wanting to do it anyway. Thank goodness this didn't happen in the middle of the summer.

JR.

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The kicker: I only have a K&N and custom exhaust. This tranny is obviously a POS.

JR.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Have you tried turning OD off? I had a problem that I could not shift from 2nd to third when the OD button was on. When it was off, it shifted fine. Turns out it was the OD end clutch. Try that, it could be the problem.

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Andrew Caple said:
I thought you just had all your teeth knocked out. Where are you getting the money for a new tranny?
Lovely week, wouldn't you say? Thankfully, I'm gonna be able to take care of the tooth situation since I was able to use funds from a flexible coverage plan I have at work.

Funny how as soon as you get rid of a problem, a new one always manages to rear it's ugly head...

JR.

[EDIT]

...and it's not all my teeth! It's one tooth broken in half during a basketball game, k? :p

·
Proud Owner
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShawnE94sL said:
Have you tried turning OD off? I had a problem that I could not shift from 2nd to third when the OD button was on. When it was off, it shifted fine. Turns out it was the OD end clutch. Try that, it could be the problem.
Yeah, I've tried it. It doesn't seem to change anything. Right from the start, it seem to be stuck in a higher gear. Feels like 3rd.

JR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts