Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Captain Slow
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 auto sl and my friend from work just got a 97 eclipse gs-t 5 speed. He keeps telling me he wants to race, and I'd love to try, but he goes to a different college and I only see him when he works. Anyways what do you guys think of my chances? We've both got 70000 miles and hes completely stock. My mods are below. Should I race the guy or should I wait till I get my torque converter done?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
if hes bone stock i say race him from a roll 30mph roll (all us automatic guys know about the 30mph roll races :D)

my friend thats in town has a 97 turbo eclispe, since he has a 5-speed and i have a automatic with my cat gutted i take off real damn slow. he beat me from a dead stop but i basically ran away from him from a 30mph roll.

try that.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Your car (auto) is a mid 16sec. quarter mile right? With your mods I would guess you are in the mid-high 15s. GS-T is a low 15 to very high 14 sec car. In theory i think that he will take you by a few car lengths b/c of the 5 speed and also your hp is 167 and his is 205. Even with your mods i dont think you are even with 205.

·
Captain Slow
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks manxk Gotta love the roll races! that's where just about all of my kills come from! I'll see if he wants to race from a roll. I'm pretty sure he'll take me off the line too (auto). What I'd do for a 5 speed! Also, what do ya think about the gutted cat? I wanna do it, but did you lose bottom end? I would have done it already if my car wasn't already slow enough off the line.

vrman- Is my drivetrain loss that bad? I know stock horsepower numbers are 222 stock for me and 210 for the gs-t.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
VRMAN said:
Your car (auto) is a mid 16sec. quarter mile right? With your mods I would guess you are in the mid-high 15s. GS-T is a low 15 to very high 14 sec car. In theory i think that he will take you by a few car lengths b/c of the 5 speed and also your hp is 167 and his is 205. Even with your mods i dont think you are even with 205.
The SL's all came with 222 horsepower. Even after the drivetrain loss i don't think it will take him down to 167

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
My fault I mis read your initial post and thought it said 97 and didnt see the SL so i thought you were the SOHC 167 hp variety. Even with the 222, being an auto SL I still think is high 15s. I have a friend with a 94 5spd SL with intake and cat-back exaust and he runs 15.3 so I would say race him from a roll and good luck to you. If he adds a BC and pretty much any general mod then...well it was nice knowing you:p

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
3KGTCRUISER said:
thanks manxk Gotta love the roll races! that's where just about all of my kills come from! I'll see if he wants to race from a roll. I'm pretty sure he'll take me off the line too (auto). What I'd do for a 5 speed! Also, what do ya think about the gutted cat? I wanna do it, but did you lose bottom end? I would have done it already if my car wasn't already slow enough off the line.

vrman- Is my drivetrain loss that bad? I know stock horsepower numbers are 222 stock for me and 210 for the gs-t.
if you're all about racing from a dead stop.. dont gut yout cat. Our autos are slow enough anyway from a stop.

For me it doesnt really make a difference cause i usually dont pass people till after 40mph due to the auto and gutted cat.

i always got beat off the line, even when my cat was stock. You'll definitly notice the higher rpm hp gain tho.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure he will take you...even from a Roll of 40. Sure we could beat quite a few cars from that roll but since he is probably running 14.9's - 15.3's he should take you. Just becuase the gearing is quicker. ;)

BTW .... It says that you have the VENOM 400...how is that??? and how does it work??

;)

·
og
4,293 Posts
i think the drive train loss would take him down to ~167hp, but that 205hp figure for the gs-t probably isn't to the wheels anyway. in terms of the race i know a 5spd would take it... auto would be a good race, i would say race him before torque converter and should you lose come back afterward :D

- mike

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i have a 5 speed 97 spyder gst also. this car is rated at 210 to the flywheel, and it puts down almost 170hp(dynoed) to the wheels. anyways, it's not really gonna be much of a race. a stock gst will easily lay down high 14's not too mention all the free mods available. i've never driven an SL, but i know that they weigh about 3700 or so my spyder gst weighs in at 3096 and the coupe is even lighter. even from a roll at 30, if he's in 2nd gear he'll probably pull away from you. better hope he leaves it in 3rd gear :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
WHHHHHHATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3700 ...where did you get that number from. Try about 3300...and if it were a 5-speed than it would be up to the driver.

But in this case it isnt...so you will lose man...but comeback with some more mods...and kick him in the face. HEHE...:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
You probably are around 3700 pounds in an sl with a driver and a "1000 watt stereo system". Your mods are probably just making up the difference that the extra weight of your cool stereo puts down on the car. Race him, lose, and come back and tell us about it.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
hitemup21 said:
even at 3300lbs, it's still heavier, and still slower. sorry, but the gst will rock an SL
Yes it will but 5-speed to 5-speed it would be much closer than a 5-speed vs. ATX. ;)

·
Captain Slow
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I was assuming that I was gonna lose to him, but I think a 5 speed would take it. I was just curious if anyone in an auto sl had raced a gs-t before. I'll still go out just for the hell of it. I'll make sure and come back to him when I get my vr4 though.

4u2nv- the venom is basically an aftermarket computer. It was easy to hookup. It's been a while since I hooked it up, but I think it just went to a power source, ground, the mas, and one of the wires near the throttle body. It's a decent mod, but it's not the 25% that they claim it is. The main difference that I notice, is that it downshifts quicker, but I've got the auto. I would say to buy other mods (UDP intake exhaust, etc..) before the venom. As a whole I'm not really happy with it at all.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
3KGTCRUISER

From what I heard man it is only supposed to help your car shift faster from launch to the end of 2nd gear. So you wouldnt lose any momentum when the car shifts...since it is auto it tends to take its time. HEHE:D

Is that true in anyway?????

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have an automatic ES and i was about a car length in front of a gst at about 110mph from a stop. but his car was also an automatic so i guess this doesnt apply to you!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Been there done that.

Bro I raced a GS-T on DPA with my 92 SL auto with mods. From a red light he had my 3 car legnths by the time we hit 50. We went again from a roll, about 20MPH, I jumped ahead til about 50 then he gets closer and I hear the PPSSSSSTTT from his blow off valve get closer and closer, and yeah, he beat me, again, badly. I don't think I'll be racing any GS-Ts til I get my VR-4.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
DominickGT

From a 20 mph roll that is great to race in man but once we start nearing 50-70 that is when turbo's usually kick in so it is not surprising that he caught up to you so easily.;)

BTW man...that car looks hottttttt....what did you use to make the grill man??? and how did you get it to stay on??

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks dude, its a mesh that they sell in my friends father store. I cut it off a mesh that they have for an Integra. And to my surprise it basically like snaps into place in the middle of the bumper. I've gone 100+ doesn't move a bit!!! Haha I just got rid of my stock 16 inchers with the VR-4 Chrome, def makes the car look better I am sooooo happy with them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts