Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
I ran my VR4 Spyder in an autocross event on the weekend. Had a freaking blast! I wasn't the fastest guy out there, of course, but I was consistently knocking time off my runs and having more fun than I've had in the car since I was 20, "borrowing" it from dad for a hot date when he was out of town... haha. I put up some decent rookie numbers in F-Stock class, but was still quite a ways away from the guys who really knew what they were doing. The biggest issue I had was ABS kicking in, at one point, greatly reduced my ability to slow the car in the stop box... "ooops, sorry about the cones everyone... Sorry... My bad..." Does anyone pull the ABS fuse to run on the track? any other options?
My highlight of the day, while not fast, was super fun! I didn't really think the car could do it, especially in fully stock form. I flicked the car from a long quick right into a left through the "gate"(?) (Cones, I'm new... haha). Anyway, flicked it harder than I should have and put it right sideways, I went through the gate gymkhana style, in a smooth arc, foot still in it, and smoking all 4 tires, while simultaneously grinning like an @sshole AND $hitting my pants... Again, not the fastest way around the track, but most fun I've had in that car with my pants on... and no stunting tickets either! That'll get the juices flowing...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed it was. Were you there by chance?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
ABS is going to HELP you. I highly doubt you can stop faster than ABS. In autocross, I am hitting ABS 9 out of 10 times i am touching the brake.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ABS is going to HELP you. I highly doubt you can stop faster than ABS. In autocross, I am hitting ABS 9 out of 10 times i am touching the brake.
I could be wrong, but I felt like the braking when ABS is active was not nearly as aggressive as when I more gradually threshold brake, to the point the tires are just starting to chirp (without tripping ABS). When I "pounced" on the brake pedal, ABS would kick on immediately and the car seemed to just carry on and on way further than it could otherwise stop... Of course, my driving isn't anywhere close to "smooth" and I should really focus on progressively rolling the brake on to get that excellent braking all the time... Anyone else ever feel like the ABS braking isn't quite as aggressive as it could be? There was a lot of adrenaline running through me at the time, I could definately just have been experiencing unrealistic expectations on the braking side of things after throwing the car through some hard corners...

·
Verified ***** Member
395 Posts
I had to pull my ABS fuse because I like to have predictable braking. ABS to me on these cars feels really weak.

I was hoping to stop by and watch some of it, but never got the chance. I have to fix a power steering leak before I give it a go in my car. :shitsweak: Was there a pretty big turn out?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to pull my ABS fuse because I like to have predictable braking. ABS to me on these cars feels really weak.

I was hoping to stop by and watch some of it, but never got the chance. I have to fix a power steering leak before I give it a go in my car. :shitsweak: Was there a pretty big turn out?
"Predictable Braking"... I agree, well put.
That blows about your power steering, I was under my car last night and noticed my rack is sweating somewhere... I haven't added fluid in 4 yrs and the level in the reservoir is still good but it's looking pretty nasty under there. Dreading that job...
Like I said, first time checking out the AutoX but I think it was a pretty high turn out. I scanned the Results on their web page and it looks like around 40 cars... Met some great people! Great atmosphere! Everyone was out to have fun!

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Article from driving fast.com

If done correctly, threshold braking can slow a vehicle more quickly that a car fitted with ABS (in the right conditions). Many competitive racing drivers would say that they prefer their cars not to have the system. However, to gain maximum advantage you will need to practice the threshold braking technique repeatedly. A good test is to find a section of test-track, and mark out a cone which will act as the braking point. Accelerate to 60 or 70mph and brake as hard as you can in a car equipped with ABS, then repeat without ABS. Compare the stopping distances by having someone mark them on the side of the track, then practice threshold braking until you notice a marked improvement. If you do have ABS fitted, don't get into the habit of locking up wheels before entering a corner - this isn't the quickest way of slowing down and can unsettle the car.
http://www.tracktechniques.ca/programs.html

·
Aussie Bloke
929 Posts
I agree, I started out hitting ABS maybe 50% of the time, now I probably only hit it 10%.. The brakes on these cars are very good, but my advice is replace the brake fluid with RBF600 before your next event..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey Guys!
I ran my VR4 Spyder in an autocross event on the weekend. Had a freaking blast! I wasn't the fastest guy out there, of course, but I was consistently knocking time off my runs and having more fun than I've had in the car since I was 20, "borrowing" it from dad for a hot date when he was out of town... haha. I put up some decent rookie numbers in F-Stock class, but was still quite a ways away from the guys who really knew what they were doing. The biggest issue I had was ABS kicking in, at one point, greatly reduced my ability to slow the car in the stop box... "ooops, sorry about the cones everyone... Sorry... My bad..." Does anyone pull the ABS fuse to run on the track? any other options?
My highlight of the day, while not fast, was super fun! I didn't really think the car could do it, especially in fully stock form. I flicked the car from a long quick right into a left through the "gate"(?) (Cones, I'm new... haha). Anyway, flicked it harder than I should have and put it right sideways, I went through the gate gymkhana style, in a smooth arc, foot still in it, and smoking all 4 tires, while simultaneously grinning like an @sshole AND $hitting my pants... Again, not the fastest way around the track, but most fun I've had in that car with my pants on... and no stunting tickets either! That'll get the juices flowing...
My first ever was in my stock '93 VR4 with 275-40x17 Comp T/As. Time-wise I finished mid-pack of all comers and faster than a lot of the 911s (it was a Porsche Club of America event). I was happy with my ham-handed results and it gave me the bug (BTW ..... there is no antibiotic for this bug;-). Didn't know where I stood in class and didn't care. Still, my only competitor is the clock.

Now, with my '97 set up just the way I like it I can 4W drift, bring the rear around, or drive through most corners. Very controllable and predictable. Would just like more surgical steering at this point.

Good luck. It'll just keep getting better!

·
Lat 42 Performance
1,068 Posts
Autocross is such a blast, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
Ah, the age-old ABS debate. You have to remember, our cars were designed in 1988-1990. Anti lock braking systems were a new technology and not perfected by any means. Modern ABS systems are quite effective, but not the one equipped on the 3S platform.

I've driven my 3S hard before and after removing the ABS, and I like it much better without it. like the others said, it makes the brakes much more predictable. It takes a lot for me to lock up a wheel; I basically have to be trying hard to lock the brakes. The ABS on the other had was quite easy to engage.
I also noticed that once the ABS hydraulic unit takes over it applies much less pressure than the maximum allowable pressure without ABS, effectively decreasing my stopping distance. Tests have shown that an experienced driver threshold braking can routinely out-stop an ABS system, although that was on an older car.

In short - next time, try it without the ABS. I bet you'll be pulling that ugly hydraulic unit and all those lines out of your engine bay in no time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys,
New Eibach drop springs on factory struts. What SCCA class do I fall into now? "Stock-Modified" or something? I think this is going to hurt any kind of competative times more than my stock suspension in F-Stock Class would have... Haha...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts