Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

341 - 346 of 346 Posts

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Hey guys,

Went to Tassie and loved the white 3000GT so much that I bought it and brought it back on the Spirit! It's in terrific condition for it's age - only faults are sun discolouration on the top of the rear seats (and a little bit on the outside edge of front seats), worn gear pattern imprint on the gear knob, and some stone chips on the front bumper/bonnet which were touched up.

I'd be fascinated to know how many of these Aussie delivered 3000s are still rolling around. There's three others for sale (one white one on carsales, and one red and one white one on gumtree). Would love any other ADM 3000 owners to let me know about their rides so I can build a database to share!
Glad you got that 3000GT.
The good ones are worth the extra money.

Been building a register of OZ delivered 3000GT's for a while.
Have two sources ( One is Mitsubishi Motors Australia ) that say 120 were sold here.
But fact is I have only located to number 117.
That may be further complicated by a couple of " general export " cars I have come across that appear to have been sold in the Australian market.
They have a slightly different vin No. One came up for sale not long ago in Tasmania.
I have got 27 of the 120 identified in the last few years, including number 1 which was for sale in WA a few years ago.
There could easily have been another 20 I didn't get a vin number for, so I would guess there's a good chance at least 50 are still around. Could be more.

Where you are real lucky with OZ 3000GT, is Mitsubishi dealerships have been unloading their workshop manuals etc specific to OZ 3000GT. Watch the net and you will come across them. Especially, technical information, chassis and electrical.

Need to start a thread for OZ 3000GT info.
Maddy got this one going for just Aussie members ride pics.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well.....firstly...congrats. You're going to love it.
The Aust delivered cars were an interesting breed..incorporating many of the upgrades that appeared later overseas..such as 25 spline t'case...upgraded crank and 4 bolt engine. They obviously missed out on active aero and active exhaust. I've heard it was because they didnt comply with Aust standards at the time, but my personal thought is they were sooo expensive when they landed here, Mitsu slightly despeced them to try and keep the cost down.

I wanted to find a little history about my car if I could. the original owners manual came with the car so I rang the dealership where it was sold (LAunceston), they checked the Vin and told me the car was bought by one of the directors, received some upgrades (larger turbo's, competition clutch, modified ECU and some internal stregthening of the engine) and was then raced in the Targa Tasmania, finishing 19th overall.

The actual numbers sold of Aust delivered seems somewhere between 114 and 130.. I think there's surprisingly large numbers still around.

My humble advice is keep up with the regular maintenance. Personally, i wouldn't modify it, but of course thats up to you. If you're going to upgrade, you need to upgrade a lot to prevent other parts of the drivetrain from suffering. I think there's nothing nicer than an unmodified, original version of these cars. Overseas they seem to LOVE the front of the Aust delivered ones..unique to anywhere else in the world. I tend to agree, but I'm biased.

Heaps and heaps of information on this forum, also the Aust GTO page on Facebook. People here are fantastic and have helped me, and many others along the journey. Would be great to see you at this years Australian National Gathering, last weekend in October. There's a thread on here with details.

Welcome to the group!
Thanks Red Devil that's some great info and very sound advice!!

Sounds like you've got yourself a very unique 3000, I'm looking forward to seeing it when I make it to one of the National Gatherings. Just about to start a new job so can't make it this year unfortunately.

I looked at the 3SX site and was shocked to see that the asking price for an OEM shift knob is nearly $100! thanks for the shipping discount code. I might save a few more pennys before I go and buy one of those!

I'm very happy with the purchase - just need to find an upholstery expert to fix the faded seats. I'm going to call this guy in melbourne and see what he can do: Eastern Suburbs, Joe Etherson

Happy days!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad you got that 3000GT.
The good ones are worth the extra money.

Been building a register of OZ delivered 3000GT's for a while.
Have two sources ( One is Mitsubishi Motors Australia ) that say 120 were sold here.
But fact is I have only located to number 117.
That may be further complicated by a couple of " general export " cars I have come across that appear to have been sold in the Australian market.
They have a slightly different vin No. One came up for sale not long ago in Tasmania.
I have got 27 of the 120 identified in the last few years, including number 1 which was for sale in WA a few years ago.
There could easily have been another 20 I didn't get a vin number for, so I would guess there's a good chance at least 50 are still around. Could be more.

Where you are real lucky with OZ 3000GT, is Mitsubishi dealerships have been unloading their workshop manuals etc specific to OZ 3000GT. Watch the net and you will come across them. Especially, technical information, chassis and electrical.

Need to start a thread for OZ 3000GT info.
Maddy got this one going for just Aussie members ride pics.
Thanks RuralGTO, that's great to hear that there's already a register of OZ 3000GTs being composed.

I contacted Mitsubishi Australia and they were very cagey about revealing numbers, but when I told them I heard there were 120 Oz 3000s sold here, they got back to me and confirmed that it was 117 to be precise! So looks like your suspicions were correct. If you start an OZ delivered 3000GT thread to complete your register I'll help you out as much as I can. Mine is number 53. I think your estimate of 50-60 remaining is pretty close to the mark, so will be fascinated to see how close we get to that! What's for sure is that we have got ourselves some very rare cars! At one stage I was looking to buy a Godzilla and was reading a skyline forum thread where a guy named Bob is building a register of the Oz delivered R32 GTRs, of which 100 were originally delivered to Oz. He's managed to track 82 of them down over the past 6 years! Aussie Delivered R32 Gtr's - Page 65 - RB Series - R31, R32, R33, R34 (1986-2001) - SAU Community

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Like the way you did some reseach.
I don't own an OZ 3000GT and got a full time job with 2000 calender year TT GTO's.
Needs a younger keen new member for OZ 3000GT info base.
I'll share all I have, if you like to put it together. Will send you a PM.
GTOJOE has been recording OZ 3000GT vins as well.

·
Red Devil
770 Posts
One of my favourite quotes comes from an old magazine:

The GT-R slipped further behind the 3000GT the further we went down the road.

The 3000GT is a clear winner for the performance enthusiast and sports car lover. (4 way comparison: 3000GT, Nissan GT-R, 300ZX, Toyota Supra).
Australian
Road & Track

341 - 346 of 346 Posts