Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gents, had a nice listening session in BMW's Harman/Lexicon equipped 7 series sedan, which features their proprietary 7.1 surround, first of its type. Remarkable, and this coming from a staunch 2-channel proponent. Surround done well can be so exquisite, it's simply rare that it's done well.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
So what does one listen to on a proprietary 7.1 sound system? ;) Something tells me most CDs aren't written for standard surround much less this BMW 7.1 system. Does BMW give you CDs when you buy the car? :)

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more clear on my post, I thought about this afterward. The technology is amazing because it extrapolates 7.1 surround from standard 2 channel sources. Pretty impressive when it can envelop you without sounding artificial.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Hey Daniel -

Have you listened to the Mark Levinson System thats offered in certain Lexus models ?

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, heard that again last night too, in their fancy 430 spyder/roadster dealie. Not too impressive, but my standards are quite high. That's not intended to sound pretentious, but I habitually listen to the world's best sounding cars. This one needs work.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
It does sound better in the LS430 / LX470, due to it having 2 additional speakers in these vehicles, but for the hype that Levinson has with his home systems, I'm a little let down by these car systems as well . . . to me, an untrained ear mind you, the Levinson is not that much better than the Nakamichi Systems that we had . .

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonality was pretty good, but imaging, staging, side-bias, low-end muddle, etc etc all needed serious investigation.

More speakers doesn't necessarily equate to better sound! :)

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
This I know . . but it seems to be a little more balanced . .

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 7 series of course relies on a bevy of speakers: front L,R, and center, mid L & R, and rear L & R, plus two subs embedded in the frame under the seats, and run in stereo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts