Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was experimenting my launches and I recently learned from the forum how to power brake launch.

I just want to know:

does it mess up your transmission? if so, how bad??

should I not do it alot?

how long should I hold it and how do i know if I got a good launch?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
puffe516 said:
Tonight I was experimenting my launches and I recently learned from the forum how to power brake launch.

I just want to know:

does it mess up your transmission? if so, how bad??

should I not do it alot?

how long should I hold it and how do i know if I got a good launch?
your brakes, and its not that bad, but it can put some stress on your dt. i wouldnt do it every day if i was you.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also, should I have OD off and PWR on?

guys please elaborate more on power brake launching. thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
puffe516 said:
also, should I have OD off and PWR on?

guys please elaborate more on power brake launching. thanx in advance
you want your overdrive off because it will just make you shift at lower rpms. make sure overdrive is off, and power is on. push down brakes, give it gas until your torque convertor wont rev any higher and get ready to launch. its really not good for your brakes though. i had an auto altima. i got beat by a ford explorer on the highway:(

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
keep overdrive on if u plan on goin over 40

because thats when overdrive kicks in and u dont want ur trans heatin up unneccasarily due to it bein stuck in 3rd. Roadmaster told me this and if u break torque it make sure u dont hold it there for a very long period of time due to the fact that when u break torque the trans fluid is being held in the torque converter and it isnt being properly cooled due to the fact that fluid isnt flowing its just spinning in the converter and when it releases into the trans when u left off the break it'll be very and auto trans temperatures have been recorded to get up to 800 degrees in tests at times. ALl info i learned from roadmasters give bill anthony a call on these things. his been in the industry for ages and he builds bullet proof transs for a living.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Powerbraking is really not a good thing to do IF you do it for long periods of time. Its not going to hurt anything by holding it down like 2 or 3 seconds before you plan on launching but I wouldn't do it more than that. Slayer is correct, powerbraking creates a lot of extra heat, but if you don't abuse it you'll be perfectly fine.

The best way to do it for you is, just tach it up to 1700rpm, you don't need to take it all the way up to 2300, because you'll just bog. The method I use and works the best for me, was that I would tach up to 1700 or 1900 rpms, than when the light turns green I would just let go of the brakes and lightly push the gas, than once i got going like a few feet, i would slam the gas pedal.

Also overdrive off is not going to do anything while launching. Overdirve is your 4th gear! you won't even finish 3rd in a street race (light to light, depending on how far the lights are :)) nor a drag race so there is no point in turning it off, but also it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i was talking about a race

that went past street light to street if they were beyond 3rd gear range. trust me ive burn my trans up with overdrive off doin highway runs of over 100, i had smoke comin out of my trans. it was bad and i blew it like that too

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whoa! thanks for the responses guys. i take everything you guys say as resourceful facts cuz u guys know what's up.

im still getting used to using my left foot on the brake..feels weird:eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
ya allso if your in the auto .. u can run the gears like in displayed in some of my prior posts.. L 2 D.. it shifts easily like it was ment to do it.. push it forward and it locks and then do it again.. shift at 7krpm it will actually turn over at around 7.1krpm Red line.. well it will improve your 1/8 by about .4 seconds which is alot... but there are some cool things we can Mod up in our Autos for better launch.. we lost a ton of time on launch bro i mean in street drags its the main reason we might lose.. but seriously becarefull with that Over Drive man.. some times people forget to shift and thats like "oh shit oh well i lost".. but if u forget to turn the over drive back on... its all over and lost of $$$..

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Digiimandan said:
ya allso if your in the auto .. u can run the gears like in displayed in some of my prior posts.. L 2 D.. it shifts easily like it was ment to do it.. push it forward and it locks and then do it again.. shift at 7krpm it will actually turn over at around 7.1krpm Red line.. well it will improve your 1/8 by about .4 seconds which is alot... but there are some cool things we can Mod up in our Autos for better launch.. we lost a ton of time on launch bro i mean in street drags its the main reason we might lose.. but seriously becarefull with that Over Drive man.. some times people forget to shift and thats like "oh shit oh well i lost".. but if u forget to turn the over drive back on... its all over and lost of $$$..
Please no one listen to a word of that mess.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
never ever power shift

thats not what the auto trans was meant to do it was meant to control the shifts on its own with the TCM ROADMASTER TOLD ME THAT IF I POWERSHIFTED EVEN THE BLUE PLATE CLUTCHES WOULDNT HOLD UP SO DO NOT POWERSHIFT!!!!!!! IT DOES NOT HELP UR QUarter Mile.

·
Registered
181 Posts
what ever i post my track times and i know what i did with just using auto and not power shift i ran 16.4 and when i ran with pwer shift i did 16.2 with a worse 0-60 meaning i gained alot with it.. ya it f-'s your shit up but if you are like me then you only do it when your at the track..

·
Registered
181 Posts
SLAYER4ALL thats not what the auto trans was meant to do it was meant to control the shifts on its own with the TCM ROADMASTER TOLD ME THAT IF I POWERSHIFTED EVEN THE BLUE PLATE CLUTCHES WOULDNT HOLD UP SO DO NOT POWERSHIFT!!!!!!! IT DOES NOT HELP UR QUarter Mile.
You can allso say the car isnt meant to be ona drag strip and u can say your not supposed to race a car cuz its not safe.. and of course a company like that is going to tell you to not do that..

Please no one listen to a word of that mess.
and if u wanna be stupid and drive around with out OVER DRIVE go a head . my bad for trying to tell u that it is somthing that will really mess you up worse then power shifting ever will..

so go a head and tell them that me saying "keep your OD on" is not right and i give bad info and dont listen to me...

Just cuz i mentioned power shifting u jump on me .. good job but have fun driving with out over drive .. hope u do well in 4th gear on the road..

maby im not that great off the line yet but it sure is wierd how civics jump out on me off the line cuz im an AUTO and they are stick.. my r/t is 1.1 while theres is .686 but they run a 17.3 and i run a 16.2

Power breaking is the way to go for auto

and another thing DominickGT at lest post a reason why he shouldnt instead of thinking your some know it all god and we should think your right over any 1.. if im wrong about somthing then im wrong.. and ill admit it.. but dont be an ass..

But I will say this.. i try things normal people wouldnt due to full insurance coverage and full Bumper to Bumper gold plan warrenty for 3 years.. u can take that into consideration

ill try and find some old posts of people telling me to try it u can flame them since i just followed

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
dude calm down

I wasnt meant as a flame, sorry if it seemed like or it came out the wrong way but ive been told by numerous people and shops also silverbullet blew his trans twice i believe or once by powershifting so i was just using what ive seen. SOrry if i came off as a flamer man. NEver intended to heat the conversation up.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
shifting from L-2-D. I do it every time I've been to the track. I don't do it on the street, but I've let the engine shift and the I manually shift. I had the same trend as Dijimandan.

ECU shifting:
R/T - 1.325
60' - 2.463
1/8 - 10.601
1/4 - 16.311
MPH - 86.36

Manually Shifted:
R/T - .710
60' - 2.461
1/8 - 10.586
1/4 - 16.219
MPH - 87.17

I even got a 16.1 manually shifing but can't find the time slip so I can't enter in the info.
I am not any mechanic here but this is what I think, its not proven and I may not even be right but here it is:
As long as you are manually UPshifting by winding down the gears, I don't see any harm in it. I do see harm in manually shift an automatic if you are DOWNshifting as in from D(drive) to 2(second gear).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ya thats what i like to see.. just gota be more open minded.. maby i came off allmost demanding him to L2D shift but i knew it helped me.. and i just wanted to be helpfull for once.. i dont know as much as the average poster here but i try to learn and share what i know.. Knowlage is powar.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

I would like to add to this post, Ok well my level 10 transmission shifts fast as hell already so if I manually shift, the hesitation between gears will just slow me down and the reason why manually shifting is bad for the transmission is simply because it over heats due to a lack of fluid between shifts. This is VERY BAD for your transmission. With the ECU shifting, the fluid regulates properly but if you're manually shifting, you are really burning up your transmission gears and causing more and more wear everytime you do it which leads to more and more slippage which eventually makes you slower. When manualy shifting an automatic, the ECU does not understand anything when you're between shifts so you don't get fluid circulating before the next gear. So you get alot of wear and tear that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts