Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 3000GT SL which is basically stock aside from a catback exhaust, intake, and a few other very minor mods. I have always wanted a VR-4 but being a college student, money is an issue.

I know more and more people are doing the VR-4 engine conversion and this seems like it would be the best route for me, but i was wondering if i were to do the swap, what the breaking point as far as power/torque is concerned for the stock ATX transmission?

I just had it replaced about a year and a half ago with a brand new trans with 0 miles and the mechanic swears to me that it is a VR-4 transmission that has a cap in the rear where the driveshaft would go for the VR-4. I dont know if he is correct or if it is complete nonsense so please correct me if I am wrong.

· Ninja Performance
52,667 Posts
It's somewhere around 700AWTQ, that is where the overdrive (4th gear) input shaft snaps.

And your mechanic is full of shit, VR4's never came with an ATX.

-Chris

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean 700FWTQ? (front wheel torque)? I assume thats what you mean, but im just making sure. Yea it sounded like complete shit to me too, but i just ordered a used tranny off the net from some business and after 3 wrong trannys being shipped to me they just ended up sending me a brand new one $700 so i cashed out on that lol.

So if I were to do the swap and put the VR-4 in, would it mount up with my ATX transmission, and if so, your telling me it could handle about 400 FWHP/TQ which would be about all i would be aiming for?

· Ninja Performance
52,667 Posts
Do you mean 700FWTQ? (front wheel torque)? I assume thats what you mean, but im just making sure. Yea it sounded like complete shit to me too, but i just ordered a used tranny off the net from some business and after 3 wrong trannys being shipped to me they just ended up sending me a brand new one $700 so i cashed out on that lol.

So if I were to do the swap and put the VR-4 in, would it mount up with my ATX transmission, and if so, your telling me it could handle about 400 FWHP/TQ which would be about all i would be aiming for?
In your case, yes FWTQ, but my testing was in an AWD ATX setup.

-Chris

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So your telling me that a stock 3000GT SL automatic transmission can handle 700 FWTQ? How come i find that a little hard to beleive?

Why would mitsubishi outfit the SL with a 170 hp 6 cylinder and a transmission that can handle that much torque?

· Ninja Performance
52,667 Posts
So your telling me that a stock 3000GT SL automatic transmission can handle 700 FWTQ? How come i find that a little hard to beleive?

Why would mitsubishi outfit the SL with a 170 hp 6 cylinder and a transmission that can handle that much torque?
Good question

I guess I don't have enough knowledge/testing in that area to make you believe me. I'll shut up now.

-Chris

· Banned
1,337 Posts
i wonder why Mitsubishi didnt make the vr4s 600awhp, since the tranny can handle it??? dude are you seriously questioning Chris???

also SL's had 222HP

· Car is wrong wheel drive
3,795 Posts

You do know that chris has built and driven one of the fastest vr4s. So ya I wouldn't find it hard to believe.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I'm not questioning Chris in any way, i give him extreme props. I was more or less just amazed at the fact that the automatic transmission was that strong.

I'm not here to question people, I'm here to learn more about my car hoping that soon I can to the swap and get myself out of the stock 3000GT SL lol.

20,248 Posts
the trans will not stand that kind of power without a shift kit and upgraded trans cooler. Even then, it's long term reliablity has never been proven at power levels like that. 3sx ran one with a crap load of power, but not in any kind of daily driving type of situation.

With a decent shift kit and trans cooler your trans should stand 400FWHP for a long time.

· Modifications Enthusiast
150 Posts
what is the max boost recommended for the sl engine without doing the internals? im trying to get some info before buying the turbo kit from 3sx.com

· AWD rules
94 SL TT ATX & 97 VR-4
5,623 Posts
I would say 8 PSI to be on the safe side. You can go a little higher if you're tune is good, and about 13 PSI on meth injection. Just make sure you have a datalogger with you while your tuning and raising boost. A wideband is also helpful if you have access to one.

Of course you could go higher than that if you know what your doing.

· Resident rocket scientist
10,943 Posts
As stated earlier, your main concern is heat. Get that thing cooled off and don't do too much brake boosting all at once.

Also, coming from someone with experience in modding cars while in college, I would highly suggest you wait. I know you're probably itching to get a fast car like I was, but if you run into small problems they'll really eat at you, and you'll wish you were driving around your stock, reliable 3S. I waited until my senior year to do the conversion which worked out well, but I was not planning on staying for my masters. Things changed though, and I've been working on my masters for a year now. Since I don't have access to a garage (which is the case for many college students) I have a hard time working on my car for even the smallest repairs, and it's the reason I'm selling my car now.

Basically, just think really hard about this decision. Your patience will pay off in a couple of years if you wait. That's not to say my car wasn't fun; it certainly was. But I'd love to have it in stock form now with the new car I'm getting. :D

· Ninja Performance
52,667 Posts
what is the max boost recommended for the sl engine without doing the internals? im trying to get some info before buying the turbo kit from 3sx.com
That would depend on the fuel. Pump 93: 8-10, pump 93 with meth 12-14, E85:probably whatever you want. Race gas:probably anything you want. Within reason and a good tune.

-Chris

· STL3S
903 Posts
the trans will not stand that kind of power without a shift kit and upgraded trans cooler. Even then, it's long term reliablity has never been proven at power levels like that. 3sx ran one with a crap load of power, but not in any kind of daily driving type of situation.

With a decent shift kit and trans cooler your trans should stand 400FWHP for a long time.
QFT. I broke my tranny after a year of DD'ing with the 3.5L.

· AWD rules
94 SL TT ATX & 97 VR-4
5,623 Posts
QFT. I broke my tranny after a year of DD'ing with the 3.5L.
I daily drove my ATX TT for 2 years, 9b's @ 8 psi with just a tranny cooler. The shift kit didn't come til later. It never had any problems either.

· Registered
1 Posts
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T AWD to FWD Conversion questions

I have a question, I have a 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Non turbo 24 valve DOHC v6 3.0. I need an automatic transmission, I came across a JDM AWD automatic transmission, is it possible to convert the AWD to FWD and can I use the stock automatic transmission TCU? If anyone has done this please let me know thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.