Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago I read a post concerning our tranny problems and how we could fill out a form voicing our tranny problems via the web site www.nhtsa.dot.gov. I completed the on-line form about 6 months ago and I recieved a call today from the department of transportation. After speaking with the representative he advised me to create a post for all 3si members that experienced similar tranny problems. I informed him about the poor quality of the transaxle and the common grinding problems we have due to the poor quality of the synchro's. I also advised him about the leaking problems most of us experience and I advised him of the fact Mitsubishi does not make replacement parts only replacement tranny's. He was very helpful and I am faxing him a copy of my bill for my former tranny replacement cost. I urge all members that have experienced similar problems to please take the time to fill out the on-line form. If you have any questions the representive even set up a email account [email protected] and advised me he will answer any questions from our members.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
They may recall the transfer cases, period, but only if a safety problem can be proven. Not the trannies becuase they aren't obligated to provide parts. They cover them through the warranty period and you're SOL after that. No law says they must be nice or even reasonable. Nobody forced us to buy their cars or to repair them when they broke. It's free enterprise.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I really think that we shouldn't just give up on this and we should try anyway, it's just not right that Mits don't sell replacement parts for our AWD tranny and make you buy a rebuild tranny from them for $3500.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I KNOW, I SPENT OVER $5,000

You guys wanna hear something messed up? This happended to me last year, around Feb/Mar timeframe. A month after I bought my car I had to replaced the transfer case, and driveshaft, then, a few weeks after that I found out my synchros went bad. The car just had about over 40K miles and since it was a 92 I was SOL!!! So I'm still paying for those repairs. I later found out that the guy I bought the car from never put in on 5th gear, unless he went over 100 mph. So I got f#@$%ed on that!!! Just my $.02!!!

Juan

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
PLEASE READ

ALL-

I also received a call from a representative at the Dept of Transportation just today. It looks like they are actually investigating our tranny and transfer case problems.

Apparently he has been trying to contact a number of people that have filed complaints to the NHTSA regarding the tranny/transfer cases on our cars and has not gotten many responses. He is trying to get more information, documentation, receipts, etc about these problems. He asked to fly up from Washington DC to Rochester, NY JUST to take pictures of my tranny/transfer case for records.

He has previouly tried to post a message on here as a guest and could not, so he is forwarding me an email to post on here. I will follow up with that email as soon as I get it.

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
If he wants to post please tell him to register with the board. He will get approved and that will just make it easier for information to flow.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Here's the email from Eduardo Aviles with the NHTSA. He requested that I do not release his phone number and email address. He has set up an email address specifically for this investigation:

To whom it may concern;

I work for the Department of Transportation and I am currently reviewing the complaints on the 3000GT VR-4 and Stealth RT/TT.

I would like to ask you if you could post a note saying that if anybody has/ha d any problems with transfer cases leaking & locking up, to please file a comp laint at www.nhtsa.dot.gov

I can't use complaints off of the internet. I need them to be in the Database.

If you have any questions, or if anybody wants to contact me, I've created this e-mail account ([email protected]) so that my account at work does not get
released.

I also want to clarify that I am only interested in the AWD twin turbo models
(VR-4 and RTTT). I also need the phone numbers of the people filing complaints so that I can get in touch with them.

Thank you for your time, and I hope I can be of help to you.

E. Aviles

·
Come feel the wrath
1,255 Posts
Will this investigation cover those who have not had any problems YET? how about for us low-mileaged guys, "what if" we have the same problems you all had/have after the investigation is done. This is something I would like to know.

john

·
Registered
158 Posts
E. Aviles<--I believe that this is the person I talked to around 8 months ago. I honestly don't expect anything to come of this for the poor bastards whom have already gone through the replacment, but it may get a recall for those who haven't had to replace their transaxle yet... Yeah, I'm a team player for humanity.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
yeah I've talked to this guy a while back as well. I don't know if anything will actually come of this.

-Sanjay

·
Here Alot
2,366 Posts
I filled this form a long time ago but they never call me. I guess I didn't leave them my phone #. My tranny is leaking and I HOPE this guy will actually do something about it. I will fill it out again for 3si and for my own benefit.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It is about time that this was made "Sticky" why is my original thread not attached? I think that was the same person I spoke to quite afew months ago. I think that someone should e-mail that guy the whole thread.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Richy T. said:
I read what the thread says, but does anybody experience the same types of problems with the FWD tranny?

Just asking as I am replacing mine on Thursday due to bad synchro in 4th.
Yep, I've had nothing but trouble with my 5-speed. It had to be rebuilt once for a bad syncro (around 70K miles, not sure exactly). Apparently they didn't do a complete rebuild because a year and ~12K miles later a carrier bearing gave out and destroyed the casing, leaving me no choice but to buy a whole new tranny. Not to mention the old one never shifted smoothly, and even with redline fluid in the new tranny it grinds second gear on occasion. The thing that really gets me is when I drove a friend's base model POS Neon the thing shifted beautifully. :confused:

·
2,616 Posts
IN the letter or email he sent you he says:
if anybody has/had any problems with transfer cases leaking & locking up
So if our only problem so far is the leaking, can we sign up? or do we have to have the locking up problem as well?
Thanks

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and file about it. The more people who file the better chances of something good coming out of this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I filed my complaint

I also wrote them a expanded message about our problems. Hopefully we will finally make Mit/Dodge/Getrig accountable for the problems.

Neil
Gray '93 RT TT with 6-spd, K&N, etc.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
This guy seems to be collecting concrete evidence and documentation. He has asked me if he could fly up from Wash DC to take pics of my tranny and transfer case, if I have maintenance receipts and records, etc. So, if you've had problems with the drivetrain and gotten any work done, dig up those records. If your transfer case is leaking, he may come and actually examine the car and take pics. Try and cooperate the best you can...

·
Registered
386 Posts
hmm. i baught my car used 9 months ago and it had a new tranny installed before it got to me.. the tranny is still shiney silver while the engine is dirty as hell. if they do the recall, what would happend to me? my tranny still feels like its scratching 2nd.. but i didn't shell out any money on this tranny(cause i am a new owner of this car). would i still be in the recall if they decided to do the recall? ANYBODY???????????????????????

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.