Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i think i am going to do it; sell my sl and purchase a vr4. i feel the need, the need for speed! and the awd will be great here in the midwest with our crappy winters. anyway i foulnd a pearl white vr4 with 80,000 miles on it. the only problem is, like i said, i live here in kansas with dorthy and toto, and the vr4 is in boston. can you guys give me some tips on what to ask him over the phone. specifics would be great. also, if any of you vr4'ers live in the boston area, i would be forever grateful if you could check out this car for me. also, what is a good price to pay (93 vr4 with 80,000 miles) assuming that it does NOT need any work. any input would be great. thanks a bunch.
e-mail [email protected]
kevin calvano, soon to be a vr4 brother(hopefully)

[This message has been edited by kcalvano (edited December 13, 1999).]

D

·
0 Posts
I bought my VR4 from the WashingtonDC area and drove it back to Texas, so I know what you are going through! I suggest that you have the seller give you the name of local dealer(s) with phone number(s). You call and pick one. Agree to pay a reasonable amount to have the dealer's best VR4 mechanic look over the car and look up the service history AND REPORT TO YOU IN WRITING! Have the seller take the VR4 to that dealer. In my case both the dealer and the seller gave a pretty complete and accurate picture of the car's condition. There is no guarantee (unless the seller is a dealer). I can't comment on whether the price you were offered is reasonable - you didn't share what that price is.

I wouldn't consider the car unless the 60,000 mile service is documented, and I'd prefer that the tensioner and water pump have been replaced at the same time.

I just checked the trade-in value in the NorthEast - it's about $9625. You might check specifics @ www.kbb.com It will give specific items to "discuss" like tires matching etc.

[This message has been edited by Doug G '93 VR4 (edited December 13, 1999).]

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$9999.00

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
The things we do for these cars. I just bought my 2nd Stealth RT TT. I got this one in San Diego and drove it back to Seattle.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, what we do for our cars. It took 3 years of searching, found my Firestorm Red 1993 Stealth RTTT with 13k original miles in Chicago, and drove it back to New Hampshire. No regrets, the VR4 and Stealth Twin Turbo are, for the money the best exotic sports car value on the planet, bar none. The extras are too numerous to list. Let it suffice to say Consumer Reports called the Stealth RTTT a "Technological tour de force". Motor Trend: "Think of it as an affordable Ferrari 348." Road and Track: "The most outragious bod since the Lamborghini Countach", "it's accelleration earns the Dodge Stealth (RTTT) a place on the eliet registry of the worlds supercars." The Twin Turbo's are also one of the top ten fastest production cars in the world. Nuff said.

My 1993 Stealth Twin Turbo AWD is the finest and most enjoyable car I have ever owned. I was advised by nearly every 3SI member I contacted to buy the Twin Turbo model over every other in order to avoid the "not enough power" syndrome. They gave me wise counsel, I took their advise and never looked back. THANKS GUYS!!!

Jerry S http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/6637/1998_october_quickening_misc.htm

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Kevin, first rule in buying a used car. ASSUME it DOES need work. Cause 99% of the time they do. I also did the long dist. purchase thing (Chicago to Toronto). Asked all the right questions, he said body is perfect (actually has 2 dents and some paint scrapes), I asked if power windows and antenna were ok (turns out ok as long as you want the antenna up all the time), and a couple of other minor things ( 2 bald tires, bad shifter bag, missing cargo cover) that he was honest about. Main thing was the powertrain was perfect, as I didn't want to do a getrag job this time of year. I am still extremely happy with my buy.
Main thing: Use Carfax. I almost bought a VR4 in NY, with a rolled back odometer (30k miles extra), but Carfax pointed it out. Helps to see who owned the car previously also.
Take your time, find the right one, and jump on it cause it will go fast, but it still is a buyers market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts