Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The number one complaint in the sales section is turbos not as described. So this is to help curve some of those complaints.

Sellers-

Must provide clear pictures of both compressor wheel and turbine wheel (basically intake side and exhaust side)

Pack them to withstand a drop from at least four feet. If you packing two turbos together, make sure they cannot shift in the box once it closed.

Buyers-

Ask questions and request additional pictures if you have any concerns.

If the price is an "awesome" deal, you might as well assume they will need rebuilt.

I don't know much about turbos, so those that do feel free to add additional pointer about buying/selling used turbos.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Good tips!

I'd just like to add a few small things (my .02):

Shipping: I work at a shipping company. I would like to build on what April already mentioned. There is a big difference between thrown in a box with some newspaper and a professional pack job. Turbos are expensive, heavy items. I pack mine with no less than 2" of space between the turbo(s) and the outside of the box (or themselves). Make SURE to cover them somehow, stretch wrap works the best but obviously your average Joe doesn't have this on hand. Using big zip lock or even trash bags taped up is a good idea. Keeps foreign debris from the packing material from getting into the turbocharger (housings, oil & coolant ports). Lastly, after packing you should tape up the box and shake it firmly, almost violently in your hands. If you can hear ANYTHING or feel ANYTHING moving, you need to open up the box and add more packing material. There should be absolutely zero movement within the box. This is the largest reason why items get damaged when they are dropped, (without being packed properly).

Second point is that whenever I sell a turbo, I typically take video in addition to the pictures of the wheels. Here is an example. In this video, you can clearly see how there is no shaft play, and the wheels do not hit or drag on the housing. This can be very comforting to a buyer.

·
No longer in KY
2,350 Posts
Excellent points!!!!!

When I bought my turbos used they were one hell of a steal. When they arrived the shafts wouldn't make 2 complete revolutions without binding. He immediately blamed me for messing them up. They were physically in my possesion for 20 minutes by the time I called DR for advice as I didn't feel comfortable installing them on my new engine build. I suggested we work it out like grown men and send them to the vendor to be checked. If they were good I would eat all associated costs and if the vendor determined they were bad the seller would rebuild them. They were advertised as only having 20 miles on them and later on after getting the seller to rebuild them I found out he broke a crankshaft running them.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts