Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The holiday season is upon us, and that is when buying and selling is most active. I am putting this warning out there minimize the threat of potential scammers. I do my very best to verify every seller but the system is not infallible. It is the buyer's and seller's responsibility to determine the legitimacy of the transaction. I highly urge everybody to be careful and cautious. These are all recommendations.

For Sellers:
  • It is recommended to only ship to PayPal confirmed address.
  • Get tracking numbers/delivery confirmation on all shipments
  • Insure all packages over $75
  • Any payments, such as checks or money orders, should either be cashed or cleared before shipping.
For Buyers:
  • Get seller's contact information (name, phone number...ect)
  • DO NOT send PayPal payment as "gift", you have no recourse if you need to file a claim/dispute
  • Discuss shipping time frame
  • DO NOT buy from non-verified sellers (anybody who tries to conduct sales through PMs should be reported to the moderators)
April
Classified Moderator

·
"THE KING"
2,995 Posts
You should sticky this :)

·
"THE KING"
2,995 Posts
So then buying a car, shipped, paying with Western Union from a new user would be a bad idea? :)

Only if they request money back from the western union

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Thanks April.

Yes, this should be sticky noted. For the buyer part, as you noted, never send money as a gift through PayPal. You will have zero leverage in trying to get your money back.

Great recommendations and everyone should follow these steps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
ive actually had an issue where i was paid via gift and the buyer opened a claim through paypal and was able to get his money back.

i was newer to paypal and thought it was odd, but after hearing there was nothing he could do if i was trying to scam him(i wasnt), i just went with it as i wasnt charged paypal fees, and later on when the money was taken from my account, the paypal claims people wouldn't help me at all because the sale was done as a gift, so i lost my stuff and the money

so really gift is bad for buyers and sellers in my experience, i wouldve much rather paid the paypal fees then lose $300 and my stuff again

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
ive actually had an issue where i was paid via gift and the buyer opened a claim through paypal and was able to get his money back.

i was newer to paypal and thought it was odd, but after hearing there was nothing he could do if i was trying to scam him(i wasnt), i just went with it as i wasnt charged paypal fees, and later on when the money was taken from my account, the paypal claims people wouldn't help me at all because the sale was done as a gift, so i lost my stuff and the money

so really gift is bad for buyers and sellers in my experience, i wouldve much rather paid the paypal fees then lose $300 and my stuff again
That is really odd PayPal gave the buyer the money back when they sent it as a gift. Another mistake sellers make is to not insure their package or track their shipments. If you ship to a confirmed PayPal address, there is no fighting if you have a tracking number showing delivery to that address.

I always pay a few extra bucks when sending out a shipment (as a seller) so I know people can't say they never received their items.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IIRC UPS automatically insures up to the first $100 for no additional charge. just an fyi as well.
I think you are right, but you have to declare a value also *I think*.

And

If you accept payment via PayPal you can print shipping labels from your paypal account (it is a free service offered by PayPal for USPS and UPS). Also if you print your labels out through PayPal or online it is cheaper than going to the UPS store or Post Office.

·
?Mark
16,503 Posts
For Sellers: It is recommended to only ship to PayPal confirmed address.
And doube double check with the seller that this is indeed the adress he she wants it shipped too. I got burned once . If they give you different adress dont do it unless u really know the person, or you dont care or hes got great rating here on 3S.

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Its a shame that there are sooo many people who seem to exist only to cheat people. (Sorry but I have paypal and ebay in that list!)

Do EVERYTHING you can to protect yourself whether you are a buyer or seller.

-SP

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Its a shame that there are sooo many people who seem to exist only to cheat people. (Sorry but I have paypal and ebay in that list!)

Do EVERYTHING you can to protect yourself whether you are a buyer or seller.

-SP
To give an example of things that can happen, here is a recent transaction I had on Ebay.

I recently made a purchase on Ebay and paid the seller instantly with Paypal. I waited and waited for the item but after 10 days I still didn't have it. The seller said he never received confirmation of the payment from Paypal. The next thing I know there is an "Unpaid Claim" against my Ebay account. I opened a Paypal "Claim" against the seller right away, and after I emailed the seller my proof of payment, he offered to either send the item or give a refund. Since 15 days had passed, I opted for the refund which he promptly sent to close the Paypal Claim . Now, Ebay STILL refused to close the claim against me. They said it was the seller's responsibiity to record the payment so it would show on the auction, but he never did. They told me before they closed the claim that I had to contact the seller and tell him to record the payment (mark item as PAID). This didn't go too well with me as I did everything I was supposed to do, and the seller didn't. Yet, Ebay opened the claim against me! I finally got the seller to update his records after threatening to post negative feedback, and Ebay closed the claim. I did email Ebay and give them a piece of my mind! Never got a reply. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,790 Posts
I recently made a purchase on Ebay and paid the seller instantly with Paypal. I waited and waited for the item but after 10 days I still didn't have it. The seller said he never received confirmation of the payment from Paypal. The next thing I know there is an "Unpaid Claim" against my Ebay account. Finally, after I emailed the seller my proof of payment, he offered to either send the item or give a refund. Since 15 days had passed, I opted for the refund which he promptly sent. Now, Ebay STILL refused to close the claim against me. They said it was the seller's responsibiity to record the payment so it would show on the auction, but he never did. They told me before they closed the claim that I had to contact the seller and tell him to record the payment (mark item as PAID). This didn't go too well with me as I did everything I was supposed to do, and the seller didn't. Yet, Ebay opened the claim against me! I finally got the seller to update his records after threatening to post negative feedback, and Ebay closed the claim. I did email Ebay and give them a piece of my mind! Never got a reply. :rolleyes:
That has happened to me a few times, and it took me a few days to notice I received payment for something. Every so often I won't receive notification from paypal that payment has been received.

So, I've gotten in the habit, that when I send payment to someone, I also send them a separate PM/e-mail/message noting that payment has been sent.

·
?Mark
16,503 Posts
dont forget yur 3s brothas!

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everybody for the bumps, naughty bumps, and inconspicuous bumps :).

This will probably become a sticky, but usually stickies don't get as much attention.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts