Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I saw this red Civic SI two cars ahead of me so I thought I would give it a whirl and see what those cars are actually made of. Appearently I chose the wrong car to race. We went from a 20mph roll and he walked right by me like I was standind still. I felt like such a complete fool. I am now trading in my car for a VR4. I couldnt believe how fast that thing was. Are they usaully that quick?:mad:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Do you drive an Auto?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope. I'm a five speed. It was a quick race but I still lost. From about 20mph till about 50mph. Lots of traffic. I'm not making excuses though. A loss is a loss.:(

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
thats only 30mph difference?! and that's consider a race?? you barely got above 4000rpm in second gear.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Jspec said:
thats only 30mph difference?! and that's consider a race?? you barely got above 4000rpm in second gear.
...and he had already lost. This car was NOT stock and obviously whooped his ass. I still haven't found a "real" civic to race (thank god). I'd kill my self esteem :)

.jon

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said before, I never had a chance. I got up to third gear and he must of been 4 car lengths ahead of me. It was your classic riced out civic with exhuast, rims, spioler and a bunch of stickers.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Hey crimedog...

Have you hung out with the Orlando crew yet? You should hang out with us sometime. Let me know if you're up for it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Super C, I just got transfered to FLL and this is my last weekend here. Do you know anybody down in FLL that does work on our cars? As I'm sure you've read, my car isnt as fast as I thought it was.

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Umm...

Where's FLL?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry, I work for the airlines and I'm used to using the three letter city codes. Its Ft. Lauderdale. If you happen to know of anybody that could work on my car I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Griffin:D

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Sorry...

Dunno of any. There ARE some ft Lauterdale members on the board though.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well considering you really should have took him considering he is a 15.8 sec car....he must have had some serious mods to walk away from you like that. ;) Good run though man....find a stock Civic SI and beat them. hehe :D

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
crimedog94 said:
Like I said before, I never had a chance. I got up to third gear and he must of been 4 car lengths ahead of me. It was your classic riced out civic with exhuast, rims, spioler and a bunch of stickers.
Ok i'm trying to understand here. You shouldn't have got your ass kicked so bad if you were shifting right. You said the race ended at 50 mph. And that you got up to 3rd gear. That is bad. If you have a 5 speed you can ride second gear out till about 65 mph. And then quick shift to third and i think you should of had this guy. Maybe some miscommunication in your post but if you were in 3rd gear going 50 thats why you lost.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
yea....how is that a race if you got up to third gear? i cruise in 3rd gear at 50mph. i ride my seccond gear all the way to 70 before and the fuel cutt off didn't even kick in.

and 20-50mph is not a race. if i race one of those lag monster such as big turbo supra or something i would have walked away too..that doesn't mean i'm quicker. that just means i will only see their tailights from 50-130mph.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Jspec said:
yea....how is that a race if you got up to third gear? i cruise in 3rd gear at 50mph. i ride my seccond gear all the way to 70 before and the fuel cutt off didn't even kick in.

and 20-50mph is not a race. if i race one of those lag monster such as big turbo supra or something i would have walked away too..that doesn't mean i'm quicker. that just means i will only see their tailights from 50-130mph.
exactly my thoughts.

Atleast you are honest about it. Hey nobody likes losing to civics but SI's are kind of an exception. I have my doubts that a stock n/a can beat a stock SI at low speeds. Granted once you get past say 60 or so mph you will start walking away but they are fast in low gears and also light as hell

·
Registered
666 Posts
You've gotta be carefull with those B16's if you're N/A............with the amount of money they spend to hook up their cars.........it's only enough to buy like a set of tires on our cars

·
og
4,293 Posts
sorry to hear of your loss :( it had to have been juiced or motor work done, something pretty serious, then again the whole "3rd gear at 50" is a little curious. there's a WHOLE lot of 'em out there, sometimes they've got your number, i've lost to a turbocharged one at the track before, tho just barely, i'm sure there are some more out there with my number.

on a related note, a kinda funny story:

i was over at a buddy of mine's buddies house (buddy twice removed?) and he had a civic hooked up outside. we started chatting about cars and he asked what i ran at the track, i told him that 14.5 was my best, asked what he ran. we had already talked some so i knew no juice and no type r (altho he said a motor was on the way). he said, "around a 14..." and left it hanging, i just kept looking at him and finally he finished "... .7 or .8". i think he was originally just gonna leave it but the stare got 'im ;) my friend and i laughed about it once we got outside, he saw the whole thing and almost lost it inside. ahh well, to each his own, safe travels all.

- mike

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More Info

Hey guys... I guess I didnt give you enough info and I apologize for it. I'm not real good at story telling. Ok, this guy was trailing right behind me as I made a right hand turn on to a two lane service road. As he got to my door he hit it in first gear as did I. as I ran thru first gear and shifted into second he was about two car lengths ahead of me. I could see traffic about 50 yards ahead so I ran thru second and popped it into third. at this time he is still about 2 cars ahead and gaining fast. As I hit third a car slowed down in my lane and I had to hit the brakes. He kept on going and I had to switch lanes to keep up. I hope this clears up some of the confusion about this, and again, I apologize for not elaberating on this story a bit more so you could make a justifed conclusion and response. Yes it was a short race and yes I lost. I didnt think people would flame me for posting a quick tidbit of info on a race with a Civic. Sorry for the inconvience.:(
Griffin

1 - 20 of 59 Posts