Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything seems to be a lesson, got totally screwed over this week trying to do something simple. I'd been patching updates to my home computer for last several months, realizing it was futile and a losing battle, my home theater pc that sits in the livingroom next to the lazy boy sectional has gone from a dual video card machine running crossfire mode, to a single card GPU solution, with a new r9 380, but one of my SSD drives was too small at only 120GB, it was almost full, so I decided to give myself a small upgrade for xmas this year.

Bought an I7 processor to upgrade the old I5 2500, got a 500 gig SSD drive, and then verified everything was up to date and working, told my gamer friends i'd be down a couple days if the upgrade failed, and proceeded to remove the old CPU and attempt to upgrade the CPU first. Parts went in fine, but system would not boot up with the new chip, put the old chip back in and the PC wouldn't start, would get hung up in the boot process, as I worked on it, I watched the MSI motherboard start to wilt and fail before my eyes, as well as the power supply (a 750 watter) and realized the days of building PC's as a hobby have gotten tedious, I didn't feel like screwing with it for another week like it would normally take, then I found out the most devastating news, The store I always got my motherboards and ram and video cards from, a Tiger Direct store front, went out of business and had closed, I couldn't go out and get parts even if I wanted to. Looked up a dozen smaller shops, half were gone out of business, the others just didn't carry the selection I wanted.

Finally concluded my days of buying PC parts and upgrading my machine over time wasn't going to work for me anymore. I broke down and went to best buy, and bought a whole new system, at 1400 it wasn't a cheapie but it wasn't the most kick ass system I could have picked out, an ASUS G20- I7 CPU, 16G of ram, 2 Gigs of hard drive space and an Nvidia GTX 970 video card. Not bad, probably a little better than I had before, but not by a large degree.

Started off a small fix, something i'd done dozens of times over the years, and watched it snowball from a 300 dollar improvement to a total screw up and the whole system I had before watching it go to crap before my eyes. I still have to put together a way to rescue files off the 3.5 inch 1T drive that was in the old machine, have a few thousand pictures to recover, and a few hundred docs, I knowi can get to them, but don't want to do a system restore because i'd be putting a cluttered and abused registry over the top of a new fresh system, I decided to wait till I can make the old drives a hot swappable or backup drive.

Tonight, the wife was watching me as I ordered a different case, replacement micro ATX motherboard and other parts to store data with, and as she did, she mentions her printer is not feeding paper anymore....know what that means...toss the printer, get another one. I swapped out her old printer, a HP that lasted almost 10years, for an Epson....only to find out why the Epson had gotten pushed to the spare bedroom parts bin...it would forget how to print in black...so wife will be going and getting a new printer.

Have no plans to build a gaming machine with the new parts, just trying to use some of the parts that were left over from old system, and hopefully have a machine available as a backup should the wife's or daughter's PC goes bad in the short term. Or I can always give it away to one of my mom's sisters that live in town.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was depressing to settle with a retail system, I don't ride the crest of the tech wave, but I'm usually fairly close behind the innovator group. My system has always been strong enough to last several years without going obsolete, running two crossfire cards usually helped it last well longer than it needed to. Then figured out while I like games, I don't play excessively, and don't even have any good single player games anymore.

The new system isn't bad, can handle about anything I want to toss at it, but it has no SSD drives, only one large 2T c drive, Getting an SSD installed is an exercise tearing a good system apart for a little extra speed, think I could get one in but not sure if its even worth it anymore.

I had been pricing out a gaming laptop, something I really don't need often but after donating my last laptop to my daughter who was too poor to get a new one, I realized that occasionally it is good to have a backup PC. Picked out the laptop I wanted, an MSI titan SLI... more power available for 3 to 5 years if lucky. But the price on them was steep at 3.5k the new desktop ate a hole in the laptop budget, may have to settle for something else now. They did have an all in one 27 incher with a touch screen I could use like a huge tablet, as well as other cheaper models. I liked MSI, their boards were great on first build...not so great on rebuilds.

At least the new pc has pretty LED lights, looks like a Christmas ornament with red and green lights on now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts