Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only mistake is that she seems to think I bought the car in Texas.

“This is a misunderstood platform, to say the least,” Cottrell says. “Most people seem to think this car is an overweight failure because they think it's a stoplight drag race car, and it's not; it's a Grand Touring car. It's a highway monster that has a top end north of 150 miles per hour and will blast through the quarter-mile like a 5.0 Mustang if needed but its claim to fame, its happy home is on the highway.”

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,871 Posts

“This is a misunderstood platform, to say the least,” Cottrell says. “Most people seem to think this car is an overweight failure because they think it's a stoplight drag race car, and it's not; it's a Grand Touring car. It's a highway monster that has a top end north of 150 miles per hour and will blast through the quarter-mile like a 5.0 Mustang if needed but its claim to fame, its happy home is on the highway.”

Wasn't the 3s more of a competitor to the RX7 than the rather uncommon svx?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The article is getting good comments. Most people seem to really like the platform and either knew someone, knows someone or have one. Which is pretty cool. Kristen did a good job on the article.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to get some recognition for the platform.
We all work hard on our cars so it's for all of you as well. The platform in my opinion are criminally underappreciated by non-owners BUT judging from the reactions I got, people do remember it and hopefully think about investing in our addiction.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The RX7 is a full 1000 lbs lighter so the SVX is a much more accurate comparison. Not a bad writeup, the Hennessey connection is rarely mentioned in anything besides forum discussions.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The RX7 is a full 1000 lbs lighter so the SVX is a much more accurate comparison. Not a bad writeup, the Hennessey connection is rarely mentioned in anything besides forum discussions.
While we were trading emails back and forth with photos and information, I said to myself, "Self, there's probably going to be nitwits doing nitwittery about the weight, underpowered, can't be tuned, etc." So I did a search for "heaviest supercars" "heaviest sports cars" and I'm here to tell you the 3S platform is NOT that heavy after all. Maybe power to weight ratio in the non-turbo versions but not that heavy by a long shot so I made sure to make that point with Kristen during the voice interview.

Cool story: I totally forgot during the interview about Hennessey so I texted Kristen about that. Turns out the writer of the artile on the Hennessey web site is a good friend of hers and she totally forgot about it too.

This whole episode has given me a lot of satisfaction that there are so many people that appreciate these cars and if I can help that along a little bit, then I am happy to have that legacy.

And I have a super secret evil plan I'm hatching that might work out. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I read the article last night while scrolling Facebook. Great job!

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,910 Posts
I read it twice and was a bit disappointed that there were no pictures of the Diffuser or the other UNDER car mods you did.

Your car looks GREAT Max!

Congrats on the article :)

Bob.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read it twice and was a bit disappointed that there were no pictures of the Diffuser or the other UNDER car mods you did.

Your car looks GREAT Max!

Congrats on the article :)

Bob.
I know, what the hell. That was the whole point of the article. But I did tell her we're still in the testing phase so that's probably why.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sooo...when can I buy those under car mods? :unsure:
There won't be any buying. I'm releasing them open source. Once I'm done, there'll be a wiki entry about building them. This is in the diffuser thread but the biggest hurdle was figuring out how to shape the material. I've got that technique super easy at this point.

I expect people will have their own take on them as well. The nice thing about the 3S is that there's a crash shield in front of the gas tank that the diffuser slides in pretty as you please.

My intent is to show the testing and deciphering what the tufts are doing under there. I'm working on fine tuning the stake height to eliminate ground strikes at this point and then I need to do even more tuft testing to make sure the strake placement is correct. I started with 4 inch height but that whacked the pavement going into every parking lot and driveway. 3 inches looks like the sweet spot at this point.

One thing I learned from Kyle is that the first strake in from the frame should be angled by 5 degrees (end towards the front of vehicle wider) to maximize the venturi effect. The outer one is the one that's most affected by the tire squirt.

Reactions: Boosted_6cyl

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
"There won't be any buying. I'm releasing them open source."

'Nuf said.
YOU ROCK!!!

Oh and on that power to weight issue. I just bought a 2011 Infinity M56x (awd). It weighs in at about 250lbs LESS than an oem 92 vr4 (my ride), and is lowered by a 340cu.in. 5.6 liter, 430hp V8. And it cant do a sub 5.0 second 0-60 sprint. I know that even back when my car was nearly bone stock it could still do 0--60 in under that. P:W ratio isn't EVERYTHING when it comes to going fast. Also fwiw, I know that a 92 vr4 can hit 167mph and still be accelerating. Thats the fastest Ive ever done in mine. And I believe it had enough left to pin the needle at the 180mph max on the speedo.

Peace

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
186 Posts
;)
There won't be any buying. I'm releasing them open source. Once I'm done, there'll be a wiki entry about building them. This is in the diffuser thread but the biggest hurdle was figuring out how to shape the material. I've got that technique super easy at this point.

I expect people will have their own take on them as well. The nice thing about the 3S is that there's a crash shield in front of the gas tank that the diffuser slides in pretty as you please.

My intent is to show the testing and deciphering what the tufts are doing under there. I'm working on fine tuning the stake height to eliminate ground strikes at this point and then I need to do even more tuft testing to make sure the strake placement is correct. I started with 4 inch height but that whacked the pavement going into every parking lot and driveway. 3 inches looks like the sweet spot at this point.

One thing I learned from Kyle is that the first strake in from the frame should be angled by 5 degrees (end towards the front of vehicle wider) to maximize the venturi effect. The outer one is the one that's most affected by the tire squirt.
As amazing as that sounds, some of us aren't craftsman and would prefer to buy ready made. Lol

I'll Resort to purchasing if someone on here makes them. ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
;)

As amazing as that sounds, some of us aren't craftsman and would prefer to buy ready made. Lol

I'll Resort to purchasing if someone on here makes them. ;)
Trust me, it's super easy to make. Basically some plastic sheets from Amazon, a propane torch and a workbench (or a 2 x 4) is all that's needed. The hard part is the testing and re-testing. And then test some more. Once you're done with that, all that's needed is testing.

All you're doing is clamping the plastic to the edge of a right angle like a workbench or 2 x 4, heating the plastic to about 200 degrees, bending it and letting it cool off (or pour cold water on it), drilling some holes, and mount 'er up. Easy peasy. In fact one of my cats did some of the work.

Reactions: Boosted_6cyl

·
Registered
26 Posts

Just read the article. How did that hood dome become an adjustable air vent?
I have a 1st gen '93 Mit Vr4 TT. There are two small plastic domes attached to the hood that provide extra clearance needed for the adjustable front shocks, but mine are fixed in place. Any idea how yours became adjustable? Or was it standard on the Stealth TTs? It's a neat mod to allow extra engine cooling. On 2nd gen cars & later the hood was molded around the shocks to allow for the clearance, so no vents were possible.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just read the article. How did that hood dome become an adjustable air vent?
I have a 1st gen '93 Mit Vr4 TT. There are two small plastic domes attached to the hood that provide extra clearance needed for the adjustable front shocks, but mine are fixed in place. Any idea how yours became adjustable? Or was it standard on the Stealth TTs? It's a neat mod to allow extra engine cooling. On 2nd gen cars & later the hood was molded around the shocks to allow for the clearance, so no vents were possible.
Congratulations on the article. Just read it also and had the same question as above. This seems like it could be a great modification that is reversible. Please take a picture of the hardware used to make them adjustable. I am also looking forward to more pictures of your other mods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts