Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car yesterday (saturday the 17th of november) ... and i would like to know if there are any other members in Austin Texas that know alot about there cars ... I have a 1996 black VR4 and I would like to meet up with someone and make shure that everything is running how it should ... since i just bought the car I dont much about troubleshooting these machines ...

So far i have only noticed 2 things that I am worried about ... a chirping/sqeaking noise coming from the engine when it is idling ... and when I floor the car sometimes around 5000 or 5500 it makes a belt screaching noise ... anyone that could tell me what is wrong and could come drive the car and give it a once over would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS alot ...

-Austen
P.S. (www.thethirdcost.net) site is not working!

·
vice prez: TPW
8,091 Posts
Hey, I don't have a VR-4 but I do live..or at least my parents do live in Austin, I basically live at school. There are a few VR-4's i the area so just keep this post up around the top and you shoudl find them. As for the squeak, does it go away when you apply the gas? if so it is probably just a loose timing belt, my car has a squeeking noise whenever the weather shifts form one exstream to the other. Seems to loosen it or something, but it always goes away whenever any gas is applied. If it doesn't go away whenyou apply the throtle, it may be a spun bearing. But don't quote me on that.
Good luck and I know you will love the car,
-John

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone that knows alot about vr4's

Is there anyone in Austin Texas that knows alot about diagnosing a vr4 for problems ... i just bought a black 1996 vr4 and would like someone to give it the once over!!!

are there any known shops in texas that work on vr4s

thanks

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
Damn it, Beavis! :D Get the car checked out BEFORE you buy it. Noone listens to Willy... :(

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
I just passed through Austin last night on my way back from San Antonio. I was hoping to catch one of our guys down that way, but I didn't. The squealing is probably just your drive belts. They might need a little tightening or maybe even replaced. Not hard or expensive. If you can get your hands in there, check the tension of the belts along with some possible cracking of the rubber.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i live in austin....!

i live in austin. just off I35 and Braker. i know a decent amount about these cars, and would be glad to help you do a quick tune up or whatnot.

btw, the third coast is a no no. tony over at third coast screwed me out of 200 dollars. no replies to emails, and no replies by mail or by phone.

i dont know of any shops in austin that do work on these cars. thats why i do all the work myself. much more satisfying anyway.

well, if you ever need any help, dont hesitate to shoot me an email to [email protected]

cheers,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I think i will ... i need someone to look at it and make sure that i am not going to screw it up by driving on it ...thanks alot guys!

·
blingalicous
940 Posts
if youre ever down here in san antonio, let me know whats up!! ill help out whenever i can...

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
1badVR4, I e-mailed you a couple weeks ago about meeting up with you for lunch while I was there this past weekend. You never responded, so I didn't bug.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grandparents

My Grandma lives in San Antonio ... if the guy with the stealth cant ever meet up with me i will drive down and talk to youa nd spend the night with my Grandma! .... thanks again .. i never knew how many people would be willing to sacrifice their time and help someone out that they dont even know!

·
Hardcore Lurker
165 Posts
I live in Austin, don't know shit about my car, kinda learning as I go along. Thanks to this site.

Welcome to town man! Been to 6th Street yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts