Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to upgrade the wheels on my first gen GT to 17's or 18's, and am very interested in some of the ones Discount Tire offers.

What's the deal with all of these wheels under $200?? Many of them look good to me, but are they priced that low for a reason? Are Konig's and Enkei's good long term, or do they look good at first and look like crap after 5 years? Is it because they are finished with silver? Is there anything wrong with silver??

I'm new to the wheel shopping world and have no clue about the quality or what I should be looking for (other than looks and size?) I'd be looking to spend about $1000 for the wheels (without tires), any recommendations? Please post pics if you have any.

I greatly appreciate any advice/ comments.:D

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
I have the Konig Villian, I paid $200/ea. I like them alot, and they also look nice on my VR4. Hope this help.

Attachments

·
One Shizz-rippin' M F
3,554 Posts
Check out OZ, (OZwheels.com), nice wheels insanely cheap on clearence, last I heard there was still some left. There good quality I got a set of F1 plus 17x9.5 for a little over 700 shipped, I think 18s were 220 ea, but didnt come as wide

·
Registered
727 Posts
its damn near impossible to find 18" chrome rims that are 5-6 spoke for our cars...that are decently priced anyhow

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here's some pics of my old SSR GT1's, they weren't exactly cheap but I liked them.

Getting new White Oz F1 Cups put on tommorrow!!!

:D :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sceptor said:
its damn near impossible to find 18" chrome rims that are 5-6 spoke for our cars...that are decently priced anyhow
GO to victoria wheels and tires. They have an awesome assortment of wheels. I'll post a pic of the Keizer K-4 that I got at $250 for 18" chrome!

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
Sceptor said:
The trick is not to look for wheels that are "made" for a 3SI...I got 5 spoke Chrome rims that are really for a Mustang. Just go by the bolt pattern and you will find alot more options ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Here is the pic of the Keizer 18" rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Here is a close up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
they are priced that cheaply because they are casted wheels. with casted wheels the finishing would be the last of my concern..if you race with them on a 2 ton car taking corners at 70 miles per hour for safety concern i would suggest some nicer wheels. ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Jspec said:
they are priced that cheaply because they are casted wheels. with casted wheels the finishing would be the last of my concern..if you race with them on a 2 ton car taking corners at 70 miles per hour for safety concern i would suggest some nicer wheels. ;)
I'm not sure if you are talking to me or not, but I will say that these are great rims. I have raced and taken turns at 70 mph no prob! These wheels are strong and if they pass my torture test, then they are for real!!;)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would be careful about judging a wheel from gross terms like cast or forged. A gravity cast wheel (a specialized investment casting method) will be as light and strong as a forged wheel. It will have an excellant appearance. You will also pay for it.

Most inexpensive wheels are sand cast. Sand casting makes for a more porous product (its got air pockets in it) which requires that more material be used and typcally makes a heavier wheel. Despite having more material it is still structurally weaker than a gravity cast or forged wheel (and its heavier). So you pay less out of pocket for a heavier, poorer quality product.

In the case of wheels you should suspect low price products. There are undoubtedly some good bargins to be had but you genereally get what you pay for.

Chris
1994 VR4

1 - 15 of 15 Posts