Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Apexi AVC-R (new version)on my 95 VR4 and am concerned about incorrectly setting up the boost controller. After reading the instructions several times, I am still uncomfortable with the operational settings and not certain how the settings control the boost controller. Any advice would be most appreciated especially with the following items.

1. connect to injector pulse or RPM's

2. boost/duty settings (where to start)

3. setting gear setting (do I drive the car to do this)?

4. for how long should I have the battery disconnected to reset the computer to recognize the boost controller operation?

5. when do I reset the computer (before or after setting the boost controller)?

6. boost setting (Mitsubishi early OEM bypass valve, K/N filtercharger, boost meter are my only mods)

7. basic theory of operation for this controller (what data gives the boost controller the info for control of the solenoid?)

8. How do I know if I increased the boost too much (or what does detonation sound or feel like)?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

M

·
0 Posts
I just installed the Apexi AVC-R (new version)on my 95 VR4 and am concerned about incorrectly setting up the boost controller. After reading the instructions several times, I am still uncomfortable with the operational settings and not certain how the settings control the boost controller. Any advice would be most appreciated especially with the following items.

1. connect to injector pulse or RPM's

Well, I've been connected to both and like the RPM's better because then it will be able to "learn" what duty at what rpm to use to achieve targeted boost. After this is set though, I would prolly like the injector duty so a toggle switch would be best.

2. boost/duty settings (where to start)

Do like it says. Turn the controller off, floor it and remember how high the boost went. If it goes to .8 and your target is 1.0, you prolly won't have to set the duty high at all to attain that, maybe 30% (if it even goes that low). But if you only reach .4 kg/cm2, then you should try 60% or so. Do just like the manual says--set it at a certain duty, floor it a few times and see where it goes. If it is stable at a lower boost than target, set it higher. If it overboosts, then set it lower. There's really no magic way to set these things. I've found out that you just have to keep playing with it until it holds where you want it to.

3. setting gear setting (do I drive the car to do this)?

Yup. Go to the gear setting mode and then highlight the 1st gear. Drive in first gear for a while (it really doesn't matter how fast) and then hit the enter button to enter the ratio for that gear. You should see it entering in the value that you achieved from driving. That figure comes from the little box to the far right which monitors your gear-ratio when driving. You should do it a couple times for 1st gear until you can do it easily before you attempt to set 2nd-5th gears unless you have a very long driveway.

Remember, this function is only useful if you use the RPM setting so if you choose the IDC, don’t bother with it.

4. for how long should I have the battery disconnected to reset the computer to recognize the boost controller operation?

2 hours worked for me, even though I don't know how important this really is.

5. when do I reset the computer (before or after setting the boost controller)?

I don't think this matters at all. It will recognize it regardless. If you want an answer though, I’d say before.

6. boost setting (Mitsubishi early OEM bypass valve, K/N filtercharger, boost meter are my only mods)

I use .95 kg/cm2 for my high boost setting caus it always spikes up to 1.05 or so when I first hit it. .85 for the low since this is about stock.

7. basic theory of operation for this controller (what data gives the boost controller the info for control of the solenoid?)

You got me here, although it’s probably just based on feedback of boost measured v. target boost.

8. How do I know if I increased the boost too much (or what does detonation sound or feel like)?

Don't set it past 1.05 max. Start out safe, around .9 I would say, and see where it goes when you try to set it. If you get massive spikes (like up to 1.1 like I used to), readjust the duty down. It's better to start out with too low of a duty then too high of one. Real detonation sounds like your car just died so you won't have to ask. Minor detonation feels like it's coughing/sputtering/pulsing during hard acceleration (see my thread "Pulsing" feeling in 3rd gear). If you can set it at 1.0 and not get spikes to 1.07, then I would stay there for high. However, if it spikes high, they you should set it lower to be safe.

I highly recommend gapping your plugs down to .034 before you start trying to set your controller. I found that this helps with detonation (or whatever I'm feeling) and I think just about everyone else on this board with mods have theirs gaped down to about that too.

Thanks in advance,

No problem. Good luck.

Matt

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts