Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Do you ever have starting/running problems after warm starts?

• I have no cats and I never have problems with warm starts

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I have no cats and sometimes have problems with warm starts

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • I have cats and I sometimes have problems with warm starts

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I think the starting issue has nothing to do with the cats but is because of... (please explaine)

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem with my car not wanting to run well after driving it and restarting say an hour later it dose not want to run for like the first 15-30 seconds. It feels like the plugs are fouled or one or both of the head(s) are heatsoaked.

I have a new IAC motor, 10k old plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and the cooling system is in tip top shape as well. I do have gutted cats and my boost is runing a lil higher than stock but that's it for mods. Any thoughts on what it could be? It used to mainly do it when the A/C was used but now it seems to do it ALOT more.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the same problem. After I try and restart my car (after it is warm and sitting for a few min.) it runs like crap for about 30 to 60 seconds…. :confused:

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cameron:

Where abouts in northern IL are you? I am located in Rockford IL. Now here's something weird, my friend with a 93 TT has the same problems with the warm starts as well. You think it could have something to do with the gas we use around here? My friend nor I really drove our cars much before removing the cats so we really don't have a before and after comparison. I was thinking about putting my main cat back on to try and see if that helps but I decided to do this poll first.

Now here's something else weird I have had problems with this warm start deal with DSM's as well. At one point myself and about 3 of my friends with turbo DSM's had the EXACT same problem. It seemed to happen in the spring with warmer temps 50+ Could it have something to do with a winter additive they put in the gas not getting along with Mitsu cars
:confused: We never did figure it out. I found way later in that year my DSM had a blown head gasket but I don't think that was the cause of the starting problem at that time.

Later,
James

·
Registered
709 Posts
I live in Streamwood. We should get a bunch of the people on this board that live in the northern Illinois area together. Kind of a “regional club” if you will. I think that would be cool. I have a similar type club but for Ford Explorer owners. It’s called the Northern Illinois Explorer Club. www.noiec.com It’s kind of cool to get together with people with similar interest and help each other out with mods and such.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wierd...

Hmmm...I have the exact same problem all of you do. and Yeah, iM in Northwest IL, Chicago subs too.. Actually, not only does it idle funny the first minute or so...but I find it completely dying sometimes if I dont hold down the gas while in nuetral. It doesnt happen all the time, usally like you said after I start it again after a hot/hard run. I have newer NGK plugs/wires as well.

·
3/S car dealer/mechanic
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There HAS to be a reason only some of us have this problem and there HAS to be a fix :) If your still having your problem try this lil experiment next time your out and about. Drive your car kinda hard and don't give it much "cool down" time before shutting it off then try an 1hr. later start. And another time let it idle for like 5-10 min then shut it off and try a 1hr later start. I almost bet 10-1 it will start WAY better when you let it idle:confused: At least that's the way mine is.

The one thing I have noticed is that my car is doing it ALOT more than it used to??? Dose anyone know if they do put a winter additive in the gas in the midwest? I think this could possibly be part of the reason it has been getting worse latley.

Later,
James

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Yep, mine does it too, especially in the summer months where it is like 90°F+ outside. I have no idea what causes it either.

Chris

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
mine doesn't do that, but i have an atr cat

·
Registered
709 Posts
:confused:

I always let my car idle (cool down) before I turn it off after hard driving. It has got to do with something in or on the motor that acts differently when the motor is warm verses when the motor is cold. EGR???

:confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I get a real erratic idle for the first min or so... Northern Il here too. (st. charles)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I'm pursuing something related to this. My car will not start without hitting the gas pedal when it's warm. Cold start works like normal.

Right now I'm investigating the fuel pressure solenoid on the firewall. Results in a few days!

·
Registered
555 Posts
im having trouble with cold starts, in cooler weather. for like the first minuete it bogs really bad but clears up after the first couple stop signs. anyone have any clue whats goin on? thanx
-Greg

ps- i've never had any warm start problems, thats when mine runs the best.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
James,

How's it going? Seems like there are a few others with symptoms similiar to yours.

Good luck, buddy.

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
MINE TOO...

·
Native
3,894 Posts
I did not have this problem until a few weeks back right after I installed my MBC. I talked to Jeff ESX about it and he suggested that the OEM wires are VERY crappy when hot. He's got the same problem he said and his fix would be new plugs and wires.

My problem usually goes away when I start driving because the engine warms up and starts putting out a stronger spark. Aftermarket wires would help carry a charge better when hot, so I'm going to get the NGK wires and some new NGK platinums gapped to .040 - .035 which ever is easier.

If ya'll want an more interesting fix, look into the installation of Accell motorcycle coils in our cars. Apparently this is becoming popular and somewhere there's a site that fully documents how it can be done.

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
eyebrowski...

Mine does the exact same thing. When it's cold, it starts and idles fine. But as soon as I push in the clutch, the rpm's drop and it sometimes dies. After about a minute though, it's fine. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I just noticed this on mine this weekend! I came home and went back out after about 2 hours. When I started it up the RPM's dropped somewhere around 500RPM's or close to that and sputtered for about 10 seconds. I barely gave it some gas and it went away.

It also did it the next day, but didn't do it at all today. Weird if you ask me!:confused:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I used to have that problem ALL THE TIME. Turns out the previous owner had "gutted" the MAS (removed the honeycomb stuff) = not a good idea. I got a junkyard MAS with honeycomb and never had this problem again. My exhaust was also puttering, and it fixed that too. Hope it helps some of you

1 - 20 of 51 Posts