Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll help with the rsearch if I can. I don't know whether or not I'd by the actual part (I'd have to see performance info first) but I'm happy to help out.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
i am very interested in finding out if the eclipse Quaife torque biasing diff. drivetrain will fit our na 3000/stealth. if not, i am also interested in talking with Quaife about producing a drivetrain specifically for our cars, if it is feasable and we have enough interest. thoughts?
kevin calvano 93sl

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
I went through this about 8-10 months ago and no one was interested. In the event the Eclipse application will not fit.......here is another option. I talked with Sharon Quaife and she told me that Quaife would do a production run of 25 differentials for our cars. But, the money must be paid up front. Also, Quaife would need to be supplied with a stock differential to study for the making of a prototype. If no major differences were found with our differentials, the cost would be around $950 each. You must communicate through the Quaife USA distributor in California and I have since deleted their Email and can't for the life of me remember their name. I will try and find it. Bottom line is that we need about $25K and a stock differential to get the ball rolling. I think these are for the 5 spd only. Are there 25 3si'ers interested? You would also need to find out if all years are the same.

Bob

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
please people respond that have any interest in this. i am very interested in getting the ball rolling! i would have no problem with $950. would this $950 inlude the entire drivetrain (driveshaft and new rearend)?
kevin calvano

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, please excuse my ignorance. What exactly is a torque biasing differential? In the first post kcalvano says it will fit a NA (FWD) Stealth, but in the last post he's asking about a driveshaft and rear end. I'm a bit confused. The reason I bring this up is because my tranny (5spd FWD) is sitting on my garage floor right now awaiting the engine rebuild. I MIGHT be able to loan it to Quaife for reaserch depending on how long they would need it and how long my rebuild is going to take. (It's not started yet) But first I need to know exactly what I'm getting into before I'm going to give up my tranny. Please post the details here or e-mail me directly at [email protected] so I can find out whats going on. I want to help out if I can.

·
1,609 Posts
WHOA GUYS! Back up a minute. You have a misconception of what we're talking about here. A Quaife ATB Differential merely replaces the CURRENT DIFFERENTIAL in the transaxle. It IS NOT a conversion to AWD. Click on the url below for Autotech and then click on "catalog" and "differentials". This will fully explain the Quaife ATB Differential in detail.
http://www.autotech.com

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
do you remeber the comercial about transferring the Power from the Wheels that slip to the Wheels that Grip (not a 3K commercial). the Quaife unit does the same thing.

The theory here is that most cars transfers power to the path of least resistance. Unfortunately that path is to the Wheel that is slipping. The Quaife unit transfers power to the wheel that has more grip.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT http://mason.gmu.edu/~tluu

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I now understand what it does. I'm very interested to say the least. Next thing I need to know is who do I talk to about supplying the research tranny? Quaife or Autotech? Does anyone have contact information? If someone can tell me who to call, preferably someone who already knows about our project, I'll give them a ring Monday. I think it'll be tough to round up 25 people at $950 a piece, but I'm willing to try. Thanks all.

·
1,609 Posts
Gatecrasher....Autotech is the one that gave the price of approx $950. Don't remember the guys name but he was like the CEO. I originally talked with Quaife in the UK and they forwarded the info to Autotech. Wait for Brian to get back to us about the Eclipse tranny. If you put an Eclipse GST tranny next to a 3000GT tranny they look the same. If the internals are the same then Quaife already makes a differential for the Eclipse. As far as supplying Quaife with a stock differential; I think it would have to be a new OEM....not sure. But never-the-less you wouldn't give them the whole tranny to study.....the differential would need to be removed from the transaxle before giving it to them. Also, I don't think the supplied diff will be returned. They would probably need to disassemble it. Anyhow, that would only be the tip of the iceberg. I am awaiting Brian's reply....although a reputable standard tranny shop could probably tell you if the two trannys are the same.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
sorry about the confusion on my part. i understand that it is only the diff. that we would be changing. i am going to talk to some mechanics on monday to see if th eclipse diff. is compatible. looks like we have three of us interested. only need 22 more...
thanks,
kevin calvano 93sl

·
1,609 Posts
Kevin.......If the Eclipse ATB Diff is compatible with our trannys we don't need any more interested parties. Quaife already makes one for the Eclipse GST FWD. I'm going to inquire at a Mitsu dealer and see what part numbers they come up with for the the 2 diffs; Eclipse and 3000GT.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts