Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 75W-85 GL-4 gear oil that was formulated to improve shifting and give wear protection. Some of the Nissan guys report good results in their trans.

·
SOHC you in the FACE
5,762 Posts
how much does this screw up your trans in cold weather?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geez guys - I posted this *question* to find someone who used this gear oil to get information, not for me to defend it. The oil looked like it has potential, so I posted some background info. I did not save links or add up the responses. No oil I ever checked out was 100% by everyone -so I said "some". Nissan 75w-85 Manual Trans Fluid, $10/quart p/n 999MP-MTF00P

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Geez guys - I posted this *question* to find someone who used this gear oil to get information, not for me to defend it. The oil looked like it has potential, so I posted some background info. I did not save links or add up the responses. No oil I ever checked out was 100% by everyone -so I said "some". Nissan 75w-85 Manual Trans Fluid, $10/quart p/n 999MP-MTF00P
I was asking honest questions, not attacking you. I'd just like to hear more about it since I've never head of "nissan trans fluid" and I'm always willing to give something else a try (tried royal purple, redline, penzoil, etc) since I don't like most options out there...

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Hey, Boostaddict...

I see you live in MI, so it gets very cold in the winter. But do you drive your car in the -10 degree weather?

I see that you've tried royal purple, redline, penzoil, and other brands.

So far, what is working best for you? What's in your tranny right now? Is it giving you any problems?

It's winter here in Iowa and my shifting is getting notchy....A member here rebuilt my tranny and he said he put GM synchromesh in it, but I don't know why it's notchy when it's cold out.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Would be interested to see if you have good results if you try it!. I`ve tried alsorts in mine and they were all pretty similar.

17,261 Posts
Hey, Boostaddict...

I see you live in MI, so it gets very cold in the winter. But do you drive your car in the -10 degree weather?

I see that you've tried royal purple, redline, penzoil, and other brands.

So far, what is working best for you? What's in your tranny right now? Is it giving you any problems?

It's winter here in Iowa and my shifting is getting notchy....A member here rebuilt my tranny and he said he put GM synchromesh in it, but I don't know why it's notchy when it's cold out.
Royal purple was much worse in cold weather for me than Syncromesh. The Syncromesh has been great down to high 20's so far.

The thing to know though is any trans is going to be a little harder to shift when it is cold and the trans isn't warmed up. I don't think there is a lot you can do about it unless you get a heater you can stick on the bottom of the trans.

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Thanks, C.

However, when I bought my car about 8 years about, the tranny was not hard to shift at all...For the first 6 years, until I changed tranny fluid, even the coldest of Iowa's winters did not affect the shifting.

But back then I didn't know anything about tranny fluid (and I still don't know much about it) so I didn't think putting in the OEM RECOMMENDED tranny fluid would cause my tranny to behave differently.

Now, I wish I knew what was in the tranny before I decided to do the flush.

Does anyone know if putting the EVO tranny fluid can solve my problem?

Thanks,
T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts