Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone subscribed to XM radio yet? If so, did you get that dorsal-fin antenna? Where did you put it on your car?

I can get the unit- completely installed using FM modulation- for <$400. I'm considering doing it (right after I blow $600 on a plane ticket) but have second thoughts about sticking some kind of satellite antenna on my car. It would be awesome to have:

AM/FM/XM/Tape/6-CD/MP3 all in the same car. :D

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey aerosly doesn't look like I will be coming over tonight because of my father in law:mad: (he annoys the hell out of me ).But I will call you tonight to set up a time this week to work on the car and go play pool.Oh and we passed you on the road about 40 minutes ago, cool.

·
Now BOOSTED
926 Posts
I was looking into it this weekend. I already have an XM ready head unit, so the receiver was $200 + $80 fro the antenna. They have a one time subscription fee of $15 and it $10 a month for programming. I couldn't get an appointment for the same day, I probably would've gone for the compulsive buy :D.

They do have a great selection and quality is supposed to be digital quality, not to mention you can drive from FL to CA listening to the same station.

I don't like the antenna that looks like a mouse, especially because you have to put it x" from the rear edge of the roof, so it would be very noticeable in the car. I think the antenna that goes in the rear windshield is a better option.

Anyone else considering this?

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
di93es said:
Hey aerosly doesn't look like I will be coming over tonight because of my father in law:mad: (he annoys the hell out of me ).But I will call you tonight to set up a time this week to work on the car and go play pool.Oh and we passed you on the road about 40 minutes ago, cool.
Not a problem, man... my niece wants to go to a haunted house so I will take her there tonight. I was thinking about something yesterday... Since it gets dark at 6:30 now and I don't get off work till 6:00... and don't have a garage... it may be kind of hard to work on the car. Ah, well, we'll find a way, I'm sure... if not, those two pool sticks aren't in the back of the car for nothing. :D I take it you got the modem fixed?

<B>sbzro00</B>- The guy at Circuit City said they are going to put an antenna on their roof and set up a display. Have you heard the XM yet? Is it worth getting? I imagine it would be similar quality to digital music channels on satellite TV... which get fuzzy and digitized-sounding when it rains or gets cloudy. If XM doesn't do that it will definately become one of my next purchases (probably sometime next year).

·
Now BOOSTED
926 Posts
Aerosly7 said:

<B>sbzro00</B>- The guy at Circuit City said they are going to put an antenna on their roof and set up a display. Have you heard the XM yet? Is it worth getting? I imagine it would be similar quality to digital music channels on satellite TV... which get fuzzy and digitized-sounding when it rains or gets cloudy. If XM doesn't do that it will definately become one of my next purchases (probably sometime next year).
I did listen to it in their display, and it sounded really good. I tend to agree with you in thinking that weather does play a role in quality (of course according to the salesman you can be inside of a tunnel and it will still be completely clear :rolleyes: ). I will do a little more research on it before plunging into it.

·
need 4 speed
221 Posts
don't get the FM modulator

if you go the FM modulator route you've just wiped away one of the most important aspect (besides commercial free) and that's the CD quality sound XM offers. that's one thing i've never understood with CD changers too. people go through all the trouble to install a CD changer but choose the FM modulator technique. man, talk about ruining the sound quality. also, what's this about subscribing? has anyone looked at other techniques you know - remember h and hu cards on dave? :))

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: don't get the FM modulator

franklin said:
if you go the FM modulator route you've just wiped away one of the most important aspect (besides commercial free) and that's the CD quality sound XM offers.
What other options are available? I want to keep my stock head unit and I don't want to give up the 6-CD or the MP3 (line in). I thought the FM Mod was hardwired directly into the antenna lead, would that compromise sound quality?

·
need 4 speed
221 Posts
>>FM Mod was hardwired directly into the antenna lead, would that compromise sound quality?

look at the very definition of the word "FM modulator". Translated it's nothing more than a small 1/2 watt or less radio station transmitter. i bet you prolly have to tune into some station on your FM dial to hear XM - typically aroud 89Mhz. if this the case than yes, you've just compromised all sound quality XM offers. see if you can go line out of the XM and share the line-in input with your mp3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts