Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 VR4, 10:1 compression, mildly ported heads, stock turbos, 3" downpipe, 98 SL flashable ECU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a clutch kit for my 91 VR4. Currently BPU, but with 10:1 compression running about 12psi on 9B turbos. Maybe 300awhp now, but I'm strongly considering 15T turbos and E85 for future upgrades. Just upgraded the trans to a 300m output shaft and I'm rebuilding the engine with mildly ported heads and a forged crank. I pulled an Exedy stock clutch from the car that was doing fine but looks a little too thin to put back in. It sounds like the Exedy is considered OK to about 400awhp? I'm probably OK at my current level, but it sounds like I would exceed it's capability with my future plans if I put a stock Exedy back in.

I was just about to pull the trigger on an ACT HD street disc(MB2-HDSS) when I came across a company called Action Clutch (https://actionclutch.com/). Their website says they are made in the USA. I've been trying to research them, and come across a lot of discussion on other platforms, but nothing much about 3S's. I think the Throttle Vader build used one, but that's about all I've found. I like the thought of supporting a true US company, if that's truly the case, but their prices seem kind of low for a US manufactured product. Their stage 1 street disc sells for the same price as a stock Exedy. I don't think I've found any negative feedback on them at all though. Anyone on here using their clutches?

17,432 Posts
I have never personally heard of them. Southbend is made in Indiana and should have anything you need if you don't want to go ACT:

I would not push a stock clutch to 400AWHP. This unit would be great for what you need:

·
Registered
1991 VR4, 10:1 compression, mildly ported heads, stock turbos, 3" downpipe, 98 SL flashable ECU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Since there obviously aren't enough people running the Action Clutch brand in the 3000gt platform, I'm not willing to take a chance with them. I know quite a few people like South Bend, but for reasons I won't go into, I do not trust their products either. I've also seen a lot of hit or miss feedback on Competition Clutch and Spec.

I guess for me, that narrows it down to either a stock Exedy replacement or an ACT MD2-HDSS. If I go ahead with the ACT clutch now for future upgrade possibilities, am I going to hate daily driving my car? Or am I better off to just go with the Exedy for now and upgrade to the ACT later when upgrades overpower the stock level clutch?

17,432 Posts
I really like the ACT street disc setup and recommend it to anyone at 500 or under. It drives exactly like stock except a bit heavier pedal, unless you have weak legs or your clutch booster doesn't work I don't find it to be an issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi, I installed the CC stage 2 and the car may be doing 400 motor, they require 300 miles break in and I did a few drag races at the strip, 2 autocross and one road race this year, total 800 miles on the clutch and now slips from second gear on.
I have to say I'm very disappointed.
Didnt mean to crash the tread here, but that makes me on the market for a clutch this winter as well.

Attachments

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,683 Posts
Hi, I installed the CC stage 2 and the car may be doing 400 motor, they require 300 miles break in and I did a few drag races at the strip, 2 autocross and one road race this year, total 800 miles on the clutch and now slips from second gear on.
I have to say I'm very disappointed.
Didnt mean to crash the tread here, but that makes me on the market for a clutch this winter as well.
The 300 mile break in period is EXACTLY that. Driving the car normally, without due stress on the clutch.
YOUR break in was INSTANT DEATH to that clutch.

Bob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts