Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just can't justify buying the Sony GR with similar specs for almost a grand more! :(

The Inspiron looks pretty light and mobile too... under 6lbs and 1.47in thick... comparable to the Sony GRs...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't know but the SONY looks cooler...maybe that's why. I have a toshiba. Heavy as hell but I love it. I saw the smallest SONY at work today. It was half the size of mine and very mobile. It was loud as hell though for some reason, must have had a high RPM fan. Small keyboard too.

See if you can find some reviews on the the net.

·
Registered
244 Posts
my sister has a inspiron. but I use it about 95% of the time :D
she bought it more than 6 or 7 months ago. so it was like 2200 at the time.

I personally like it. it runs ok. I have not run into any problem with the unit at this time. my sis upgrade the display so it is very clear and easy on the eyes.

I cant really tell you why you should choose inspiron since I am not a computer geek nor I have used other laptop to compare, but the reason we bought inspiron is because dell has the best customer service.

my sister's co-workers all use dell laptop for work, and my company's IT guys also use dell laptop at work . all of them consistantly said that the dell has the best customer support. so if the lap top breaks down, you can get it fix with the least trouble.

I can fix the desktop myself, but not the laptop. we went with the inspiron simply because the customer service.

·
your mom
303 Posts
I'm a Dell FSR. You'll find the performance of the Dell to exceed that of the Sony of comparable cost, but it comes with a price. That price is bulk. The Inspiron 4100 is a mid-size notebook with mid-size performance. Typically you'll find a Sony to have similiar performance in a more compact chassis, and cost more. Like I said, I'm a Dell FSR, and although I have 3 Dell desktop systems, when I bought a notebook, I bought it for mobility, hence I bought a Sony. Dell service is 2nd to none however :) (plug for me)

·
Arizona Cardinals
857 Posts
I just got a refurbed Dell 8100 1.13ghz w/ GF2 32mb. For $2000 I have a desktop killer :) It has two downsides though.

1) It is a behemoth. But I don't mind lugging it around.
2) It has a seriously flawed touchpad/pointing device. You should check the Dell support forums for the 4100 and see if anyone is complaining about unresolved touchpad issues.

I had to remove my keyboard, disassemble the keyboard plug and remove the pointing stick ribbon from it to cure my touchpad ills. (I prefer touchpad to pointing stick anyway so no loss for me)

·
your mom
303 Posts
Have replaced many 'a palmrests due to touchpad issues. Not had too many pointing device issues, but it has happened.

·
Arizona Cardinals
857 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is a design flaw or driver issue.

W/ the synaptics software installed, typing on the keyboard can cause the touchpad to cease functioning for anywhere from 1 to 15 seconds. Without the synaptics driver installed, you experience cursor drift and a lurching cursor but the keyboard doesn't lock the touchpad. A solution put forth on the boards was to not use the synaptics driver and disconnect the pointing stick ribbon. Worked for me.

This machine is so powerfull (I game) that it's worth it with the wart. I am actually kind of irked because I just built a monster gaming pc a couple of months ago that I don't really need now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts