Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
10,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna put an electric blower from craftsman that is used to blow leafs. i want to put it in the right side spot inside my bumper to have an electric supercharger. kinda like an e-ram.
anyone done this?
what else would i have to do?
any estimates on how much horsepower will it add?
on the blower it says it can blow 360cfm at 210 mph. should i try it?

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts

Good Luck....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Um... you're kidding right? That's about as rice as it gets. A leafblower is not going to blow any significant amount of air compared to what you would get doing a cheapo home-made ram-air intake (i'm thinking about doing this soon).. either way, even if it was able to blow tons of air, it's not cold air. Which doesn't help all that much.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i think it'd be really cool. someone should do this and give us an explination. i am really not being sarcastic. i heard someone talking about it a while ago and forgot to ask about it. good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i've done it but i dont' have pictures. but i can tell you how.

parts u need

silicon glue
extension cord about 15ft
dryer hose (for laudry) about 2-3ft.
leaf blower ( i used toro 130mph) 80bucks
12v to 110v inverter. (need really good one) about 150.00
i used the stock air intake box and put a K& air filter (square one)not cone.

cut a hole on the plastic stock air box for the leaf blower. cut the bottom part! seal the dryer hose on to the hole usng silicone. let it dry for about 24hrs. check if u miss something, make sure its really air tight and can handle a lot of pressure (1psi) put the air filter inside the stock box and close it. plug in the leaf blower make sure yor leaf blower is mounted reallly good.

i hit 13.8 @101mph on my 91 stealth es with auto tranny 100shot of nos and leaf blower some other little mods. i run 14.2 w/out leaf blower .

·
Banned
10,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh, that's were it gets even better, i'm gonna cool my air using a freon pump and a radiator from a fridge, i already have that and a blower. plus don't forget that i'm gonna have it in my wheel well inside the bumper, so i'm gonna have a ram air effect too.
just wait till i finish it and i'll post my pics, maybe dyno it too.
crazy ain't it?
:cool:
(smiling) muuuahhhhhaaahhhaaa

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
russianstealth said:
KD4PWH what car is that on and what difference did it make?

Ughhh....thats not my car.
It looks like a 94+ Mustang GT. I highly doubt that it make any difference at all. I wouldn't think that a leaf blower would have the capability to pressurize/compress air. Even the Eram makes I think 1psi. I seriously doubt a leaf blower could even do that.

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
but you know what?

Garrett turbo is on the mission to make Electric Supercharger right now..that would be interesting.

·
your mom
303 Posts
I can't believe you people are serious.

·
Registered
476 Posts
hey, it's cheap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had this idea before. I never caried it out though. because i didn't think it would wourk very well, and it would really coble up the car. Yes it might add a small amount of performance. I guess there is proof now.
1. The blower has a constant speed, after about 3-4k rpms it would not keep up with the engine, and there would be no preasure, probably negative preasure.
2. the power inverter uses alot of electricity, the alternator will draw more power.
3. why not try to rig a real centifugal supercharger to it! you could control the boost, and have variable output.

·
Evil Member
515 Posts
hey if you do do it, I think a good name would be "Ghetto Supercharger". P.S have you checked into the motors form model airplanes, I know they can do some high rpms?

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
russianstealth said:
ahh, that's were it gets even better, i'm gonna cool my air using a freon pump and a radiator from a fridge, i already have that and a blower. plus don't forget that i'm gonna have it in my wheel well inside the bumper, so i'm gonna have a ram air effect too.
just wait till i finish it and i'll post my pics, maybe dyno it too.
crazy ain't it?
:cool:
(smiling) muuuahhhhhaaahhhaaa
well you sound like you have the right idea. I hope this works out for you. It will be halerious. Please post the outcome

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm actually also doing this to my Skyline. It is actually a superior way to build complete boost on the line.

I'm only using the electric fan to build boost until my turbine comes on line. This will enable me to run a huge turbo with no lag. Since my car has no boost till 5000 rpm. This is a welcomed mod.

I have already worked out the mods.

Blower of choice

AC power of choice, inverter

manifold boost gauge

rheostat to regulate the AC so you can regulate the boost pressure

piping

Blow by MAF

I've already done this mod to a friends NA car. But I just used a simple cordless version. There is a destinct boost off the line but then nothing do to lack of volume.

IMPORTANT...when purchasing a blower you must consider CFM. Most blowers don't produce crap. But there a few I have located that move just over 500 CFM. Thats more then stock turbines.

I'll be selling a kit as soon as I work out all the details.

Laugh at the kit...hell yes I did when my partner suggested it over a beer. But when the other guy is leaving the line at 15 psi with a set of drag radials and throwing your laggy ass in the losers bracket, then who'll be laughing.

WD

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Charger; go look at that web page, it says that particular blower is 14 inches in diameter. i don't think that's gonna work.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is one of the funniest threads I have ever read. Some people are so creative. It's amazing what you can do with an $80 leaf blower and a $30,000 sports car! Leave the leaf blower for blowing leaves.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts