Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rear ended a couple months ago, just minor damage ($1200), and the guy that hit me apparently has the state minimum coverage ($7500). He hit a car behind me really really hard and she hit me. The lady that hit me, her car was totaled, and she got all the insurance money. I didn't get anything, and I can't sue somebody that doesn't have anything to take. He works at a fast food restaurant. I'm pissed and thought I'd see if anybody could relate.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
uhhh.....even if he had minimum coverage it should still cover your car too. Thats odd that they didnt cover you car. They are liable fo that.

-Jeff

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
damn, that sucks..

but, you and her should be seperated.. meaning.. the most she could get is $7500.. the most you could get is $7500.. see what I mean?

Say he hit her one day, and paid her $7500.. and you the next.. you should get money either way.. there is no difference.. that I can see at least.. I'd check around to check things out. something seems fishy.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
What? People can have insurance that only covers 7500 dollars worth??

So lets say you had a lambo and he hit you and caused 15k in damage does that mean you are entitled to only 7500 dollars?

-Jeff

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Basically.. yes. Some states, like Tennessee, don't even require insurance at all.. so if he had a Lambo, got hit in TN, and the driver didn't have insurance.. he'd be SOL.. unless he sued.. but think about it.. if someone in TN hits you, and doesn't have insurance, do you think you would get much if you sued? you might be able to take away their double-wide and their beat up 80's Camero.. but do you really want that shit?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's $7500 total. So since she got the worst in the accident she got the money, and since i had mainly cosmetic damage, I got screwed. I guess my insurance company is suing him, but it's pointless because he works at Lees famous recipe chicken, and is in his mid-20's, so he obviously doesn't have any money. The cop told me he had been in 8 wrecks prior to this one. I only have liability on my car, so my insurance company won't pay to get it fixed either. I guess i'll have to cancel my plans for a RT conversion :(

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
The disbursement of available funds under the limits of the provisions of that policyholder seems to be capricious.

There is a term in law that applies to the even disbursement of available funds by the person or entity responsible for a tort, or claim.

Did you ever see one creditor in a bankrupty get 100% of their debt satisfied?? Usually, all of them split up the remaining assets. They may get .30 cents on the dollar.

Was your claim in to the insurance company?? i.e. Were they aware your claim existed??

Im not a lawyer. Check into this with your local insurance regulatory agency in your state of residence.

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
Man that stinks. Sorry to hear that. That guy should have his license taken away for a long time. See above post...that is why I got full coverage. Lots of lunatic drivers around here.

On a better note.....maybe you can get free or discounted chicken for a few years. :D

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Thats why i like ky we got pretty good insurance laws here.

-Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts