Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wiper fuse continues to blow, so I cant drive in the snow or rain. I upped the fuse to 30amp and it still blew. Any other suggestion?

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
my blades are evil....Two days before my trans went out, my wiper blades split off the arm, and scratched the shit out of my windshield.

Lovely

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should I just put like a 80amp in there? wouldnt that be dangerous?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Mine are evil in a differnent way... even on high for the delay I still have like a 3 second delay between wipes.... but it does not bother me much as I don't really drive it much in the rain.

Lethal
+++++++++

·
Bring it On
716 Posts
My wipers don't work at all I haven't gotten a chance to look into it yet. I think it may be something other than the fuse though.

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
I would suggest that you do not put anything higher then what's called for. There is a reason why it keeps blowing. I know it might be a pain, but you don't want to risk frying a harness. Then you'll really be SOL!!

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm....might have to get rainX so I can drive home for the holidays.

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Yeah definitely don't put a larger fuse. A fuse is there to protect the circuit from overloading when you have a problem. You obviously have a problem and overriding the fuse could be very bad. Someone look in the service manual and find what else runs off that fuse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just looked it up in the service manual and the front washer moter and both circuits for the wiper (delay and non-delay) are the only things attached to fuse #9 - 15 amp. Looking at the diagram and assuming there are no wear spots in the wiring harness shorting out on the frame the only other possibility is either the wiper relay could be somewhat shorted in the coil (unlikely) or the delay timer has a bad transistor causing a short when you run it in delay mode . Personally I would hunt the harness for a spot that is touching the frame since that is the most likely thing to cause what you are seeing (possibly in the steering column or along the firewall inside the engine compartment).

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any clue on what this harness looks like? It would really be a shot in the dark cause I have no clue where that wiper harness would be.

And if it matters, my rear wiper quit at the same time.

·
rock climbing addict
225 Posts
the nozzles that spray the washer fluid dont work anymore on my car, but thats the least of my worries, right now the fokker still doesnt idle right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you take off the knee protector then the column cover (all on steering column) you will have access to the column switch that controls the front wiper. start there and search that set of wires all the way down to where they go through the fire wall . Make sure you check the gromet at the fire wall for wear as that is a good place to get a short after some age sets in. You will have to get a pinched nerve in your neck to do it and suffer many headaches laying on your back under the pedals if your like me but it's all good :) After that you should know where the harness goes through the firewall and be able to follow it down to the fuse block. If you still have not found any shorts start at the wiper motor and follow that harness back to the fuse block searching for shorts or melted areas near the manifold. Hope that helps.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
trace the wires and see if there is a short some where?
maybe you have a bad wiper motor?
i bet you have a short somewhere

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I will def. check for the shorts. I just really hope it isnt raining when I need to go home this week. And another thing, whats gonna be the best way to check for shorts, just do the tracing by eyeballing all the wires and such or should I do something more technical. Damn I sound stupid but I have never had to deal with electrical problems before.

Thanks guys,
AWILD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.