Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 years ago I went to an E-commerce seminar for Quixtar / Britt Worldwide but I didn't go for it then because I thought it sounded like a bunch of malarky.. Well I just went to another seminar last night packed with people and turns out it was for the same thing. Here it is 2 years later and they are still around and I'm thinking about giving it a try this time. Anyone else an IBO or participate in the program? I want to hear your experiences with it.

If you have NO clue what I'm talking about I can explain it a little to you.

-Jason

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Don't bother.

If you would like to truly learn more about it, do massive websearches for 'AMWAY' or 'QUIXTAR'

Amway is the parent company for quixtar.

Basically, the method of income is conning your friends and family into buying from Amway's proprietary sources, and then, as you move upwards through their chain, you are expected to recruit more people, and sell them training materials to further their own business. This is where the bulk of the money is made; It is also typically the sorting mechanism that filters out the 'not motivated enough' IBOs; They go broke trying and trying, but never making it as sales people. Meanwhile, they're moneies have gone towards that 'higher person' as income and profit.

The cycle continues upwards.

I'm not saying you 'CAN'T' make money through this method. It's a question of morals; if you feel that making money off your friends and family is really the best way to further your pesonal desires, and can live with this, then this is a viable method for you.

Do the search, read the facts.

Oh, and if you decide to do it, I'd advise you not to peddle here. Most people that have been scorned by the Amway/Quixtar world are very bitter towards those who continue through it. (and rightfully so, some people are lead into bankruptcy because of their 'friends, letting them in on the business venture of a lifetime')

Elton

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the seminar they never talked about how you made the money, it was basically an hour of the guy talking about "What would you do with another $150,000 a year????" Thats the first thing that made me suspicious.

It reminded me of the concept behind AllAdvantage (remember them before they went under?), you sign up and get others to sign up and get a small percentage of what they make and they get more people to sign up and so on. Im guessing that's what it is...but instead of surfing the internet it's based on buying stuff from their mall.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Exactly.

Any business venture that is not concrete on the details, execution and follow through, is a venture not worth getting involved in.

Once you prod for facts, and inquire as to how and why there is profit to be made, they'll begin to smoke and mirror you with 'if you buy from the online mall, then you'll get a big discount, and also get a return on the amount'

Thats all a novel idea, except, the products are not THAT much more phenomenal than average store bought things, not any cheaper in truth, and, the small amount you can get 'back' is really just YOUR money, which they are refunding you. It'd be no different than shopping smart, and clipping coupons before you go to the market on double coupon day.

You CAN make small amounts of income from just the buying and promoting of the online products; but in truth, it's not really worth it by the time you're done with it. It would have been easier to just go to the market with coupons. The real money is made from the 'promotional' materials. And you won't hear them talk about it until you are in deep, after 5 or 6 meetings, 2 of which you've hosted at your own home.

By then, you've probably alienated at least 30% of your friends, because it boils down to this:

Friends are for support, compassion, good times, and bad. They're NOT there for you to unfairly make money off of. Most people know this, and are deeply offended when someone tries to do such a thing.

E

*edit - spelling typo*

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm also being "recruited"

I have a former business associate who is trying to get me involved in Quixtar. I wasn't aware of their association with Amway, but that dowsn't suprise me. I have been hesitant due to a prior bad experience with a similar scheme with an outfit called Melaleuca.

If you're the salesman type, you might do well. It's a personality thing. If you're not (I'm a project manager/developer) then it's probably not for you.

Either way, you're probably better off waiting for the economy to turn around and really go into business for yourself. Find something you like to do and do it.

Best of luck -- G

·
white bread
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elmo said:
Friends are for support, compassion, good times, and bad. They're NOT there for you to unfairly make money off of. Most people know this, and are deeply offended when someone tries to do such a thing.
I couldn't agree with you more..

thanks for the advice fellas. I'll stick with my initial feelings - MALARKY!!! (I love that word)

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Anytime my friend. :)

OH, and if you've been to a few meetings, there are a SLEW of jokes that you will find HILARIOUS.

ie, why is that the have to spray that stuff in their mouths so often? Is their breath THAT bad? And, why is it that they are considered 'unorganized' until they have a monthly planner, clad in leather? :D :D Sometimes, the best way to bring things into perspective, is to look at the humor of it. ;)

E

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Any meeting that has phrases like:

"Your income potential is limited by only your motivation"

or

"Wouldn't you like to be your own boss? Work your own hours?"

is crap! They tried to sucker me into the same Quixtar crap. They play on the fact that most people are unwilling to say NO, like to telemarketers for example. So, they rely on peer pressure to make you agree to sign up for their crap (sold by a friend of yours). Luckily I don't care about feelings when it comes to myself getting screwed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
:D
It works.

BUT it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes it works for me and I am in no way a salesman. That approach sucks and it sounds like that is what most people have run into which is unfortunate. Anyway if you want my thoughts on it just email me. I agree that this isn't the place to delv into what is good/bad about Quixtar.

Let's talk about cars here!

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
I'm glad you guys are so quick to criticize.. :(

I'm both an Amway distributor and a Quixtar IBO... although I don't do anything with it just because I have more important things to tend to.. but I have several personal friends who are richer than most of your salaries combined because of Amway and Quixtar. Don't knock it 'till you try it.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
SilverBullet said:
I'm glad you guys are so quick to criticize.. :(

I'm both an Amway distributor and a Quixtar IBO... although I don't do anything with it just because I have more important things to tend to.. but I have several personal friends who are richer than most of your salaries combined because of Amway and Quixtar. Don't knock it 'till you try it.
Actually Silver, my opinions are FAR from being 'quick'

I had this debacle in my life for 10 months. My fiance wanted in, but I felt that the whole thing preyed too much on the peoples that you sold to, whether they were startup IBO's, or actual customers. But I DID try it, because I loved her, and would support her in anything she would ever do. And I STILL felt that way. AND we STILL LOST a BOAT LOAD of money. And believe me, it wasn't because 'SHE DIDN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH' Once she finally saw what it was doing to her, our friends (we lost MANY because they felt so offended at this 'lifetime business opportunity') she realized how they had taken all of our money. ONLY THEN did she understand. With that understanding, she started to finally make money. BUT, she felt guilty. She understood where all that money came from. She understood that for each dollar she put into the 'quixtar' account we had to setup for banking purposes, it was a dollar she took from some other failing couple, banking on dreams, with product that did not deliver, and co-management (your IBO mentors) that only pay you respect and loyalty because they had already taken your hard earned money. THIS is what made her stop.

I on the other hand, did my sales person thing when I was younger I did it corporate, and I did it retail. I did not like what sales portrays, and what it takes to 'make it' I stopped working in sales because of it. I learned early on what sales was about, and how in todays world, being an 'honest salesman' is VERY hard, given pressures from management, accountants, and industry markets.

I never said that Quixtar or Amway was incapable of making money. I only said that it tends to seriously disrupt the lives of those that particpate. The principle methods of income for these venues does not rely on the structured approach for business sales that most of the world is accustomed to. In some sense, the method of income is almost contrary to what the typical business world strives for; most companies sell a good product that costs X to manufacture, for a decent price, and they call the difference the profit. Sales materials and aids (advertisements) are typically given out for free. Sales training is done for free, only to help vendors better understand the products they may sell. (got lots of free Tech vendor shirts every month :p Espcially at PCExpo at the Javits center :D) MLM Systems like Amway and Quixtar, use the sales of product only as a vehicle to recruit. The real money is made in materials, and furthering the chain of recruitment.

If you ever get close enough to your friends who make such 'large' amounts, ask them how many people they have under their branch, and what the percentages are they have to pay OUT to them. Ask them how much they in TURN, get paid BACK. THEN, ask them what percentage of all that is promo materials, and what percentage is actual GOODS SOLD.

And as I've expressed in other posts before, there is much more to life than how big the 'check' you get cut every once in a while matters. What I do, defines who I am. Sure, I could make over 200 Grand again, doing what I used to. But I couldn't LIVE with myself. I have morals, ethics, and criteria I live my life by. If someone else can do it, and not care, fine. But for me, no check can make me compromise my integrity towards a relative, close friend, or just random human being for that matter. It's a matter of principle.

Life isn't about money. I hope you understand that. (I'm presuming you do, I'm just stating a fact)

So please don't ever assume my opinions are prejudiced, hasty, or 'quick handed' I put hours of thought and deliberation into many decisions I make, regarding my opinions and beliefs.

*rant mode off*

Elton

*edit - Typos and grammer. What a bad day for typing for me. :( *

·
Registered
275 Posts
Check it out...

It wouldn't hurt to actually talk to people in the business. Just like anything, if you work hard you will make money...It is not conning anyone into it...if people like the product they'll buy it...and you are an Independent Business Owner (IBO)...TAX right-off!!!!!! you can keep 75% rather than 50% of your hard earned cash!!

I am looking into it too...just get all the info you can

My friend who is 24 yrs old, has paid for his schooling for four years plus ALOT extra! BTW he makes 44000$ a year (Canadian funds....which is around 21000$ us)

Just letting you know
D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Call me crazy but none of my friends seem to mind people helping them make money. Again there are many different approaches to this business model. Elmo, sounds like you got a sour taste of one of those and that's too bad.

We are all entitled to our own opinion and good information is key to forming an accurate one.

Educate yourself from reliable sources and make up your own mind. If people are trying to sell you something then find someone else. Avoid the sales people! Quixtar itself is an awesome company. Some people just don't know how to run an ethical business. Motivated idiots would be a good term for them.

I'll stop posting here now. Hope I was some help.

Back to cars and turbos.

Party on Wayne.
Party on Garth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts