Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 60K done last Saturday. Mechanic noticed my "tensioner, alternator drive belt, MD318474" making a lot of noise, so we replaced it.

Strikes me that this part is not much different from all the other idlers and pulleys that we replace at 60K, but I don't recall anybody saying they replaced this one too.

Anyway, it was $46.00 from the dealer, so you can probably get one for about $30 from one of the 1-800 places.

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
weird, now that you mention it.. I'm getting a lot of noise from some pulley, not related directly to the timing belt.. the Alt belt runs over this pulley, and it's close to the Alt.. I can spray some belt dressing on the general area, and the noise goes away, but then comes back like 2 minutes later.

I wonder if I need to replace that?

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
The pulley on this bracket?

Do you mean the pulley on this part?

Unfortuantley the only picture I have (thanks to gatechrasher) shows the back of the bracket which you normally don't see.
The hole in the middle is were the pulley is attached. The bolt on the right is the one you turn top tighten the alternator belt.

I didn't replace mine at 60K service because it was fine. The reason I repalced all of my other pulleys is because if they sieze the timing belt will jump and trash pistons and heads.

If this pulley siezes the alternator and A/C will stop working but the timing belt will be OK.

P.S. Silverbullet, if this is squeeking try tightening the adjustment nut on top a turn or so. If belt dressing makes the noise go away the belt is probably too loose.

·
Black Rail
194 Posts
It's really hard for the tensioner itself to go bad. Maybe the pulley on it? But that's a whole different piece. all the tensioner is is a slide-screw type deal that you bolt the tensioner pulley into... you tighten it with a nut on top. Only way i could see it going bad is if the screw that adjusts the tension got stripped or bent or something. Wierd.

·
Bostig.com
644 Posts
I need to replace that pulley because it is squeaking.
A little WD40 quiets it down until the next humid day.
The part number is MD318474 for just the pulley I believe.
Cost is $34.79 from mitsupartsdirect.com

Lorne

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My old one is in a box in my garage right now, which is a shame, because I'm here at work. Going by memory, though, I think this pulley is a sealed bearing type (just like one of the other pulleys that we *do* replace at 60K), which means that it will eventually need repacking. From simply holding it in my hand and spinning it, even I can tell that my old one sounded dry.

No, its failure will not cause engine damage via the timing belt, but for those of us who don't want to wait for it to go bad and then go through the hassle of replacing it, and who don't mind taking advantage of the free labour of having it replaced while the timing belt is already off and being replaced, it's cheap insurance to just slap a new one in there.

My mechanic does not make money on the parts, so I don't think he would lie to me about the need to replace it. Or, phrased more gently, I trust his opinion.

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
that's interesting because i have a very loud squeak from under my hood that is not a belt (so i am assuming it is a bearing). anyway, the squeaking abates when i turn my AC off. it rarely goes away - quite embarassing to have the car i do, and a squeaky bearing. :)
Matt

·
Now BOOSTED
926 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
Got my 60K done last Saturday. Mechanic noticed my "tensioner, alternator drive belt, MD318474" making a lot of noise, so we replaced it.

Strikes me that this part is not much different from all the other idlers and pulleys that we replace at 60K, but I don't recall anybody saying they replaced this one too.

Anyway, it was $46.00 from the dealer, so you can probably get one for about $30 from one of the 1-800 places.
Thanks for the heads up, I just added it to my list;)

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Dont replace that part yet!

I just went through the same thing I thought my pully went bad but since its winter the ribbed belt just started making a fucked up noise.

I replaced the ALTENATOR TENSIONER IDELER for $100, and it still made the noise.

Then my mechanic pointed out the fact that these belts do that in the winter!

$1.99 problem fixed (Spray carb/choke cleaner on the belt) Tust me it works.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Didn't have that part changed yet and my car is running fine (on the rebuild)

·
Registered
44 Posts
My car does this as well

My car is making a Chirping.squeaking noise ... it sounds like a loose bearing or soemthing i don tknow .. but maybe this is it .. where is this part ... and how do i take it off and check to see if it is good or not?

thanks for your help ... I have posted alot about this before but no one has really known much!!!

thanks
-Austen

·
Registered
553 Posts
it did make noise on my car before i rebuilt the engine.
so i replaced all those stuff which may make noise.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
><i>where is this part ... and how do i take it off and check to see if it is good or not?</i>

(Keep in mind that I was merely an observer while a professional mechanic did my timing belt for me...)

Take of the black plastic covers on the driver's side that cover your timing belt and overhead cam gears and water pump and all that other crap. Standing at the front of your car and looking at the engine, the pulley I'm talking about is the one highest and closest to you. It is perhaps five inches or so in diameter (i.e. considerably larger than the two timing belt pulleys that you're supposed to replace) and it has the accessory belt to the alternator wrapped around it.

It was when he was removing my alternator and taking the alternator belt off of this pulley that my mechanic spun this pulley and heard the grinding sound, indicating to him that the bearing was drying up.

As I say, guys, it is merely a preventative measure. As is replacing all that other crap at 60K too. So just pony up the 30 bucks and get the peace of mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts