Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of chrome Antera 143 18x8.5 wheels for my GT base. But now I'm thinking about going to the next level and changing the rear wheels to 10 inches wide. Will it fit? I'm going to call tomorrow and find out, but I was wondering if anybody here has this setup first.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, I previously had 18x9 wheels on my car all the way around with no problems on the rear.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yes, sure, make all your cars slower, add some weight on them and increase the rotaing mass that you want to stop with the tiny brakes.

Even for a VR4 the optimum weight/performance (i.e. lateral g possible) is 245-45/18. Anything else is just like enhancing your ego and throwing money out of the window ! Speaking about 19" and 20" ... please come back down to earth ! Or better said, why not lifting the car up and but some Big Foot wheels on it ?? I'm sure some would fit when you lift it about 5 foot. Come on guys, save the money for a total appeareance packet and paint the car chrome ;-)

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
More on wheels...

Anyone try to put 19 or 20's on our cars??
That would mean some super lowprofile tires..

Would that be more bad than good??

I think 18x10's all around would be cool if it worked... Or 18x10 in the rear and 18x9 up front.. then you couldn't rotate the tires, or could you.??

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Roger,
i hit the floor after i read your reply...my gut is still in pain.
thanks for the laughter. just what i needed.

(Mr. Grimm, please don't think i'm laughing at your question because i'm not. just laughing at Rogers response.)

[This message has been edited by kcalvano (edited December 11, 1999).]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason I ask is because the 8.5" look kinda weak when I already had 9". The only wider size is 10" in that style. The spokes in the Antera 143 in 10" wide sizes actually curve out at the end, making them look very attractive. Thought I'd ask, but I even think it would look kinda funky since our cars (base) are front wheel drive, but I want them to be a little wider. The 9 inchers were absolutely perfect! They were wide, yet not wimpy. And it will cost $175 each wheel to have them widened! NOT!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Hey, I say do it! Im pretty sure going wider in the rear won't harm your handling.. who said only RWD cars can go wide in the rear!?? hehe..

But if you're going for looks.. buy rims that have 'lips'.. so u get fatter lips in the rear..

As Roger mentioned, larger rims WILL slow you down.. need more horseys to trun them.. and I think going 19, 20in is too extreme.. might sound cool.. but it probably won't look good.. i seen tiny Hondas with 18s and they just look 'lifted'.. small guy with big heel shoes! hehe..

If i can have it my way.. 18x8.5 fronts and 19X10 rears!!! haha.. but guess our cars dont work that way~ Good luck!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mr. Grimm!!! I have 8,5x18 Antera #143 and Bridgestone S-02 245/40-18. Look at the pictures of my car on http://www.3000gt.nu
If you think they look thin then go and get you head examined
10" will stick out a few cm and that's soooooo ugly (even in Mexico) I will actually wider my fenders some during this winter to get the tires inside the fenders, get a ground control kit and lower the car to the ground instead! /Mikael

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I run a 18 X 8.5 front with 245-40-18, and rear a 18 X 10 with 275-35-18 (to keep rolling diameter correct). BUT these wheels were specially made for me by SSR in 3 piece to fit correctly . The rears do NOT stick out a bit, and I feel that with good HP, and a properly balanced suspension, the 10's work very well for me!! I have run this combo since 97', and I'm quite happy..

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's plain silly to do that because you've got a FWD car not RWD...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts