Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious of it's capabilties....i have the infinity hu, but an yinsite would be great.

thanks
KC

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Does the 97 have an in-dash CD? A lot of systems have been done successfully using the stock head unit. An outboard D/A converter is a good addition, but not necessary. If you rely on the deck for CD info and can assure yourself good preamp voltage, it can work.

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's an indash cd...

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
That's how I did mine on both my cars. My 1991 Stealth R/T had in dash CD player and cassette deck. I ran a power lead throught the firewall and behind the rear seats I installed a 180 watt amp and powered two JBL 3 way speakers in the rear and added an optimus powered sub-woofer...a HUGE improvenent over "bone stock" for less than $300. On my current Stealth, I have the high end Infinity system with the 6CD changer...which was plenty loud for me, but needed more bass to "feel" (those door subs just don't cut it). So, again using an RF converter, I tapped off of the door (low end) speaker leads from the factory power amp under the passenger seat and ran those leads to the same 180watt Kenwood amp with a bridged mono configuration. I am powering a 24"x12"x12" bandpass box (fits nicely in the hatch and is 100% easilly removable in less than 10 seconds if I need my hatch space or want to loose 40LB in a hurry...I mounted a "stop strip" to keep it from sliding around in the hatch and carpeted it so it looks factory). The speaker is a 10" JBL. I bought the bandpass box/speaker at a pawnshop for $60 and already had the amp from my other Stealth. It DOES THUMP. Won't win any audio contests, but I can drive 100MPH plus down the interstate with my sunroof off and still be able to EASILLY hear and feel my tunes...which is all I need. Basically, the headunit is only a receiver and a receiver is pretty much a receiver and the THD from the factory unit is comparable to many units costing hundreds more and I GUARANTEE YOU if i played them for you blindfolded you could not tell me the difference if both were run throught the same amp.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Why would you want to? If you want a audiophile quality system then you need a better headunit. If you keep it, it will sound the same, just louder.

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
It may be possible to get a replacement changer that has fiber optic outputs. I don't know if this is exists, but I know that there are aftermarket changers with adapter plugs for our cars.

If it is possible, then you could simply run the fiber to your processor(s) then out to your amps, etc. I know the clarion C-BUS changers have fiber out but I don't know if they can be integrated/controled by the stock head unit...

Ted

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ted,

that is like something i had in mind, i need to look into that and th e d/a converters....

"Why would i want to?"

- stealth install

- steering wheel controls

- doubtful an aftermarket CD player would make a noticable difference as long as i can keep in the input voltage high enough

thanks
KC

·
your mom
303 Posts
sqhopeful said:
"Why would i want to?"

- stealth install
Thats kinda funny :D

·
I suck @ Life
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OOPS!

please add...."No pun intended!"

thanks wild thing :D

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you really want a "Stealth" instal. Get an aftermarket stereo (trust me, it will be cheaper in the long run), recess it a little further back than its stock mounting points. Take off the face plate of the factory HU, and simply instal it over top of the aftermarket HU. Then just remove it when you want to play with the radio. You could even get fancier with it and leave enough room at the top of the HU to slide the face plate back and out of the way.

Just a suggestion.

·
your mom
303 Posts
Ick, I expect that unless you're going for an all out SQ install that you'd be satisfied doing the converter setup like Mobilebeatz suggested. The sound reproduction of the Infinity unit is not the best, but not horrific for a factory install, certainly with the in-dash cd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts