Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Some shmo with N20...
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question...

K i just won ome dremel tools and kits on ebay. Im planning to polish my plenum and all kinds of stuff under the hood. I just wanted to know if there is anythig i gotta worry about when im taking off the plenum or tips for doing so or anything else. I havent taken a hard look at it yet but i just wanted to make sure. THanks guys.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here's what I did.......

I see some people unbolt it and take it off with the throttle body attached but I unbolted the throttle body from the plenum and left it on. This way you don't have to detach all the hoses. I also unbolted the egr (2 bolts) they look a little tough to get back in but they really weren't. I tell you what, taking off a vr4 plenum is 1,000,000 times easier than taking the plenum off my 300ZX!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
To remove the older stuff on the plenum...get some Aircraft Paint stripper.

Be carefule dont let this spray onto any paint or overspray on any paint. It will eat thru the paint within seconds. Use in a well ventilated place because it does cause cancer. I sprayed mine down (in the car lol) and the bare metal was really nice.

-Jeff

·
Some shmo with N20...
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
???

To remove the older stuff on the plenum...get some Aircraft Paint stripper.
:confused: !?!?!?!?!

Whats that do? Im guessing get all the nasty shit off the outside of it...?

How many hours of sanding should that take off the whole polishing process???

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
How shiney do you want it?

Yea the Stripper works really good. Right now near the back of your plenum it probably looks yellowish. When in fact it should look silver-y I polished a little bit but it doesnt seem as good as the natural car. But I had already sanded some......but the parts that I didnt sand and just used the aircraft spray stripper looked much better.

-Jeff

-Ill find a pic

·
Some shmo with N20...
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn...

Damn dude... that sounds like a sweet deal...

Why the hell would everyone go outa their way to polish it then?

And to think... i just spent about 60 bucks on dremel stuff... sheesh...

Oh and yea... get those pics :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hmmmmmmm

Where do you get this aircraft paint stripper stuff from?

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
any auto parts store will have it.. or a place that supplies auto paint..

Umm.. just a hint. Be prepared to A) spend A LOT of time if you're using a dremel tool. B) get really good at taking your plenum off and putting it back on.. that is unless you have a second car. I can tell you right now, you're not going to get anywhere with that Dremel tool.. I sat for hours upon hours with it. yeah, it works. but it takes damn near forever. not to mention, you have to continuously change out the bits that you use.. you'll wear them down faster than you think. The first time I tried it, I went through about $40 worth of Dremel bits in the first hour I was attempting this.

Good luck. I'd suggest you just buy one already polished.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
My friend has the rest on his PC but this one sorta shows it a little

Like I said this doesn't look like chrome but it looks really nice in my opinion. I even polished it quite a bit with Mothers Polish from autozone and it wasn't quite as good as the natural metal on the plenum.

If you need to get a new gasket they are only like 8 or 18 bucks at the dealer. I can't remember which one but it was one of those. I would recommend taking it off the car before spraying it down that way it will be a lot easier to spray it down and wipe it off or spray off.

-Jeff

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Hmm. First off you will need sandpaper rolls in 320, 240, and 80 grit. AND, you wont find a 3/8 ths shank bit anywhere for the dremel.

Second, i would never polish anything again without a compressor, or air tool. You will burn up your Dremel if thats all ya have. WEAR GOGGLES always, please.

Go to eastwoodcompany.com for all the rolls, grinders grease you will need. If i were you i would pay to have the plenum polished profesionally. I can have it done for about $300.00.

I have polished every nut, bolt, flange, pipe, hood brackets, alt bracket, all the AC lines, and even my motor mounts in my engine bay. If its metal, its polished. Sorry, no pics yet. But i do remember a post that read "eye candy". Although it was polished and everybody drooled, i thought the engine bay was filthy.

Btw. that aircraft stripper is NASTY SHIT. It will burn you like a flame if ya get it anywhere on your skin. It is VERY caustic stuff. I bet if you get it in your eye it will BLIND you.

Fyi. Once you start polishing, you will never stop. Gotta go... To my meeting of Polishers Anonymous.

OH YEA. Paint the plenum at the top where the lettering is first. That way you can polish around it and the lettering will stay red, or whatever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts