Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Money pit owner.
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know/understand very little about car audio so i'm looking for some advice.

My 1993 stealth r/t tt came with stock speakers and a pioneer avh-x2500bt stereo. i'm not looking for a loud system but i want it to sound better than a tinny transistor radio. can anyone recommend a decent sounding drop-in speaker replacement?

https://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-X2500BT#Audio

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you aren't planning on running an amp to the door/rear speakers, then you can't really go wrong with any name brand. You will probably only get about 15W RMS from the head unit. IIRC they are usually something like 200W peak, 4 speakers so 50W peak each, and usually 15 or 25W "average" power to each. Pretty much any speaker can handle that.

One other thing to note is that most aftermarker speakers will not have the separate tweater that is in the dash. Typically you will just not use this speaker anymore so you will have the front 2 speakers and 2 rear speakers. You can get aftermarket speakers with separate tweaters but up to you if its worth it to go through the hassle of wiring those in, especially because they are usually not the same diameter as stock.

·
Money pit owner.
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jrhorne!

I'm in a small town so there's 1 Walmart and 1 car stereo store, not many options lol
I'm thinking of pull the door panels and taking the car to the stereo store and asking if they would allow me to try a few different speakers out, I don't mind paying a bit more for that type of service. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm thinking of pull the door panels and taking the car to the stereo store and asking if they would allow me to try a few different speakers out, I don't mind paying a bit more for that type of service. :)
Usually those shops have boards setup inside to demo the different speakers they offer. I'd be blown away if they let you try them out in vehicle but crazier things have happened.

My only suggestion would be to avoid the high end stuff with high power ratings since you're running very little power. Typically higher power ratings goes hand in hand with reduced sensitivity which means reduced volume when paired with your existing gear.
Pick an entry level set from a respected brand that sounds good to your ear and you should be in good shape. Perhaps ask the staff for suggestions of speakers that perform well on deck power?

For the doors you'll want a round 6.5" and it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull off a door panel and have the shop (or yourself) do a test fit to check mounting depth clearance. I've found them to be a little on the shallow side. Odds are you'll have to drill new holes in the plastic the speakers mount to, the factory speakers have a large square-ish mounting flange that aftermarket speakers won't have.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was going to add similar comments to above but he beat me to it. A couple things:

1. As mentioned, for the front the speaker depth may be an issue. Presumably you want to keep the stock speaker covers. Some aftermarkets speakers have a tweeter in the center that protrudes out and wont fit behind the stock covers. This happened to me and i had to switch to a cheaper speaker in the fronts that had a more flush tweeter in the center. Also agree its very unlikely they will let you test fit speakers in the car. You can try the sound in the store with their test panel as mentioned. In reality, powering from a head unit only, all are going to sound very similar. Unless you are an audiophile and are playing from a HQ source (e.g., direct from USB into stereo with 320kbps MP3s, definitely not streaming on a phone into an audio jack) i doubt you will notice a difference in the car.

2. For the rears, i now remember having to modify the plastic housing that the speakers mounts into. Specifically, there is a "tube" or port that goes into where the speaker mounts and the aftermarket speakers had a much larger magnet. I just had to cut some of the tube so the speaker would go all the way in. its plastic so it was not a big deal at all, took only a few mins.

Another funny thing is when i took my stock speakers out, they were literally disintegrated - the center was no longer connected to the outer perimeter and i was shocked they were working at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts