Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been a member here for a while but cause my car hasn't been running I've never had anything to post.
I own an Australian 3000GT that needs a rebuild. It's sat for years as I haven't had the time or money to do anything with it until now.
I even thought of selling it recently and buying something else but every time I take the cover off I get that feeling I'm sure you all know.
Anyway as the title says, are there any engine builders in Perth Western Australia that could be trusted with the job?
I've made enquiries with a few places but haven't been made to feel that they are the ones to do it.
If it was an import I don't think I'd bother but being a rare Aussie car that's in reasonable condition generally I think it needs some love.
Any advice that can be given would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Ask GTO Assassin, he's just had his car worked on. Should have some helpful tips!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ausgt3. I'll send him a message.
If I need a rebuild I want to do a decent job of it and don't really want to hand it over to anyone without some level of confidence.
Spent a week reading your insane rebuild thread recently that inspired me to get off my ass and look at my car.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Ha! I suppose it would take that long to read.

What are you going for in the build? Just an engine refresh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that’s becoming a story itself…
Thought I’d done a bearing as I had a knock. Started really light and only at idle. I never had an engine do a bearing before so drove it once down the road and back. Started it a few times trying to work out where the noise was coming from and it got louder and constant. Then I read about rod knock with these cars. That was a few years ago now and it’s sat there ever since due to a lack of time / money.
Read your novel recently and got inspired. Drained the oil and cut the oil filter expecting a glitter show. Nothing. Cut the paper out of the filter and had to look really hard to find 1 or 2 tiny flecks of metal.
So I think I’ll pull the motor to get a real good look at everything. IF I can find someone, I might just go the rebuild anyway as I can now afford it. It also started blowing some smoke - oil / coolant - when the knock started. Thinking all new bottom – crank, rods, pistons. Heads replace everything damaged / worn / suspect. Overall level will need to be discussed with a builder to get a balance between need, want and budget.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
So how are you sure its rod knock?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now I’m not sure.
I just previously assumed cause it was so loud and I read it was a common issue I couldn’t think what else it would be. The rhythm of the knocking seemed right too.
When I didn’t find a bunch of metal shavings I was a bit surprised and confused.
So I had a bit of a think about what to do next. I want to pull the motor so I can have a good look at everything and determine what the problem is regardless. But then if I’m going to do that, I might as well get it rebuilt if I can find someone to do it. It's done 140,000km’s. It sat for about 6 years. Even if the bearings are good the smoke it started blowing can’t be good. It's going to need work just to get it running again. And I’ve saved the money to do it anyway.
That's my logic anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts