Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any aftermarket performance parts for a good deal for a 91 rt/tt, I want to fix up my car but I am 16 and work at a golf coarse and durring winter I only make enough to pay payments and gas :( if anyone has in what are they and how much. Thanks

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Have you done any mods at all yet? If not, I've got a good one for you. Manual boost controller. (ball and spring type, not a bleeder valve). I bought it from Matt at Dynamic Racing about 8 months ago for 99.00 and just recently removed it to install an electronic boost controller. Going from the stock boost setting to 14.5psi will give you a minimum of 40 extra horses and you will definitely feel the difference in power on your first run. I will sell it for $60.00 shipped and provide instructions for the 10 minute install. It is currently set for 14.5psi and is easily adjustable. Let me know if you're interested. A boost controller is a "must do" mod.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a good deal, but can you tell me the differance between a manual and an electronic boost controller? why is there a big differance in price? And yes my car is completely stock. Alos would I need a different boost gauge?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The main difference in the manual vs. the electronic is cockpit adjustability and the fact that the electronic versions have thier own solenoid to control the boost more efficiently. They also have built in boost gauges and other features that allow you to go right into high boost mode for a preset amount of time in case you get into a race and need more boost quickly. The more features and electronics equals more money. With a manual controller, you are basically bypassing the stock control solenoid. Yes, you should also get an aftermarket boost gauge. There are several to choose from ranging in price from +/-$45.00 to $300.00+.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you give me the model number or what type of boost controller this is. Also how hard are new boost gauges to hook up?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I can't find a model number on it. It is a "ball and spring" type controller. You can call Matt Monet at Dynamic Racing, (505-439-1125), to get the specs on it. Installing a boost gauge is very simple. You just tee into one of the vacuum tubes on the intake plenum for the signal line to the boost gauge, the hook power and ground to the gauge for it to light up at night.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IS this kinda what is looks like?

Attachments

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If, can you controll the boost from inside the car while it is running in a matter of seconds?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That's not what it looks like. That looks like the Greddy TVVC. This one looks like a couple of brass fittings with one inlet and one outlet and a bolt on the top of it.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found this info on another web page

"Our Extreme Technologies XBC is a high-quality manual boost controller that's beautifully made and dead-on repeatable and accurate. It's made of CNC machined and annodized billet aluminum, and can be had in a variety of colors. Unlike many other manual boost controllers (and especially cheap "fishtank valve"-type controllers) the XBC doesn't leak and opens the wastegate only when the boost level exceeds the dialed-in threshold, rather than limiting boost response across the band. With the XBC, boost will come on strong, and only be limited when you want it limited. The XBC comes with complete instructions, hose, a tee fitting and all of the hardware required to install it. The XBC is the best manual boost controller available, and at 1/5 the price of an electronic controller, an absolute steal"

Also What would happen if I unplugged the tubes from my wastegate? I had someone tell me to do that but I didnt b/c I was not shure.
Sorry for me asking you all these questions about stuff, I am Kinda new to the rt/tt cars and dont know alot of things about the mods. I know I want a boost controller though. As of now I dont have all the money, but in about 2-3 weeks I will, and if you still have it I will buy it most likely

Attachments

·
Super Hero
4,056 Posts
If you unplug your tube to the wastegate you'll notice the difference immediately.... You're car will run a lot slower.. I'm not an expert but I believe this is how it all works..

your wastegate is there to provide a certain amount of restriction before it is open. Once it's open your turbos begin to lessen the boost they produce. As soon as this happens your turbo isn't doing a whole hell of a lot. A boost controller basically "clogs" your line to the wastegate, forcing the turbo to produce more pressure to open the wastegete. I'm not too sure, but I think if you remove the line one of two very bad things will happen.. you will either get no boost at all, or you will produce the max amount of boost yoiur turbos can provide (i think around 20psi). If you produce that much boost on a stock fuel system.. Well, I believe you will run way too lean with a very high compression which in turn can lead to all kinds of bad explosions.. hehehe..
This is just what I think will happen. I'm no expert, just taking a S.W.A.G at it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am running a group buy on REAL K&N FIPK right now for only 99 dollars. intake is one of the first mods people do along with mbc.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It's the bottom line on the boost control solenoid but don't unplug it and leave it unplugged. Your wastegates will never open and you will build too much boost, which will eventually kill your engine. If you want to try it, do so. But plug it back in afterwards. You will be tempted to leave it unplugged, but don't. With it unplugged, make a good run in first and second gear. You'll be amazed.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
J92RT/TT said:
With it unplugged, make a good run in first and second gear. You'll be amazed.
Thats likely to lead him to an engine rebuild pretty soon...I wouldn't try that

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
JagdStealth

If you'll notice, I said to make a run in first and second gear with it unplugged and then plug it back in. Being that he is running stock turbo's, the boost will fall off to 10-11psi after 5000rpm anyways. The only way this will damage the engine is if he left it unplugged and continued to run the higher boost levels in all gears. 1st and 2nd gear go by so quickly that even when the car reaches unacceptable knock levels, it is only for 1-2 seconds.

·
Hunter...
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so how exactly do I controll the boost on a manual boost controller?

·
Super Hero
4,056 Posts
you would tighten the boost controller, and then take it for a drive. You will have to have an after market boost gague also (the stock one is garbage) after a run you will know what your boost is set to. if it needs to be lowered loosen the controller, if it needs to be higher tighten it. Just make sure you keep it under 15psi with the stock fuel system..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts