Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going over a speed bump at lowish speed the dash AntiLock light came on and remains on whilst car is powered up. I also have a dry whirring sound coming from drivers front fender - sounds like behind headlight. Noise persists even when car switch off.

Anyone had experience of this

Thanks

Chris

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
As above most likely something to do with the pump. Other things to check would be all 4 abs sensors and make sure brake fluid is not low.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Chris if you need I have a abs motor that we went and spent a bit of time on. If yours fails let me know I'm no longer using it :)

It's a ubër clean module now hehe

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys Thanks for the more than useful feedback - I'll look at all the easier stuff tomorrow and hopefully something more obvious will emerge. Otherwise my friendly mechanic is going to get some more of my money!!!

GTOJOE - thanks for the heads up on the source of a replacement climate display unit - found one for $200 so hopefully that problem will get solved Chris

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It sounds like abs pump, mine did the same thing on my SL

Easy way to see if it is your abs pump is to pull the fusible link for it in the fusebox under the hood. Then if that's it, it just becomes a matter of finding out why its running.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also have the same exact issue with my SL.
I just disconnect the battery, but it still happens sometimes when I hit a bump.

Subscibed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled both ABS breaker and fuse (both fine) but whirring still continued - in theory this rules out the pump since it's without power

Left overnight with battery disconnected - reconnected in the morning and the sound had disappeared and so had dash warning light - NUTS!!!

Again thanks for all the responses and suggestions Chris

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
When I had the same problem the only thing that stopped it was disconnecting the battery. Pulling fuses didn't stop it either. Its definitely the abs pump and it will probably happen again.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chris if you need I have a abs motor that we went and spent a bit of time on. If yours fails let me know I'm no longer using it :)

Pete if this happens again I'll take up your offer

On a separate note are there any really accurate diagram of the entire engine bay available - the ones I've seen (and in the stuff I've downloaded) are very high level and too vague. I don't have any mechanical backround and need all the help I can get if something other than the oil needs topping up!!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Easy done :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Pete

It's gone again - I'll take up your offer for the replacement ABS pump - see PM

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Ill get onto it buddy!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bumping a very old post.
I have the same problem - dry whirring sound that persists when the car is off. I tried disconnecting the battery for a few days, and the sound returned when I hooked the battery back up. I pulled the fuse for ABS and the sound stopped.

Before I pulled the fuse, I checked the ECU with my datalogger and saw no fault codes, but I have since found out that the ABS controller is separate from the ECU and so that's to be expected. My question is whether I can be sure that the problem is the ABS pump, or if it might be the ABS controller instead? Just trying to narrow it down before I start buying replacement parts.

On a related note, anyone have the part numbers for the ABS pump (and/or controller) on a '95 Spyder VR4?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe the ABS pump is part number MB668392. I called up Cherry Hill Mitsubishi, and they said two discouraging things:

1) it's on back order
2) the price is $2318.00

So I'm currently looking for other options. Suggestions are welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts