Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on the mustang forums. I don't know what pics he is talking about????

Basic rundown of the story:
A ~21 year old in my area had a warrant out for his arrest for two cases of rape.

He stole a 1991 3000GT this last weekend when it was really really foggy out (we're talking 10 foot visibility, max). I think it might have been a VR4 model judging from the pics.

The guy took the car over 100 MPH in the 5-10 ft visibility fog. Keep in mind it's scary to walk in this fog because your visibility is so limited.

Also inside the car were his 20 year old friend and three young women (14 years old).

He ran into a pole or something at over 100 MPH and flipped the car into another sort of pole (or something along those lines). After the car came to a stop, it started fire. The driver got out and ran home. He left the four other passengers inside the car and they were burned alive. They had to use dental records to identify the bodies.

Isn't that about the most screwed up story you've ever heard? I can't believe it happened a few miles from my house...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Four Bakersfield teens died early Sunday when they were trapped in a burning automobile that crashed into a power pole in a thick fog along 7th Standard Road, the California Highway Patrol reported. Only the driver survived, officials said, and he reportedly ran from the crash scene, leaving tracks in a freshly plowed dirt field. CHP officers arrested Michael Hugh Curtis Jr., 21, Sunday afternoon at his Olive Drive home on suspicion of felony manslaughter and fleeing an accident. Sheriff's coroner officials early Monday identified three of the victims as Tara Mitchell, Amy Simon and Shantele Batchelor, all 14 years old. Jeffrey Chaffin, 20, was later identified as a fourth victim. The crash occurred a few minutes before 2 a.m. near Zerker Road in a dense fog, CHP officers said. Curtis was driving a borrowed 1991 Mitsubishi at more than 100 mph, heading west on 7th Standard Road, the CHP said. Curtis came up behind another car that was driving very slowly, officials said. Curtis then passed on a dirt shoulder and lost control as the car returned to the road. The Mitsubishi spun out of control, onto the opposite shoulder and smacked its rear end into a metal utility tower, the CHP said. The tower collapsed onto the car, trapping the four passengers inside while the car burst into flames.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story:
http://www.iknowbakersfield.com/homearticle.asp?id=23390§ion=home&network=bakersfield

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
I hope capital punishment is issued in this case.

That idiot's behavior was beyond reckless and immature; it was just plain f*cked.

I feel so bad for those 3 girls, that probably thought they were just going to go for a short ride. :(

My condolensces and prayers for the parents of those poor girls.

*sigh*

Elton

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Actually that looks like a 91 3000GT Base or SL model. If you click the enlargement photo and look at the rim on the car, it appears to be the base/SL wheel for that year.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Sad. And here's an updated story:

http://www.iknowbakersfield.com/localnewsarticle.asp?id=23514&section=localnews&network=bakersfield

Bakersfield - The Highway Patrol believes 21-year-old Michael Curtis Jr. caused an accident that killed four young people Sunday, but the district attorney says there isn't enough evidence. Ed Jagels has told the CHP to do more investigation in the case.

"We just don't think we have enough evidence to make a solid charge yet," Jagels said.

In the meantime, Curtis is sitting in Lerdo Jail on unrelated charge of having sex with underage girls.

His bail in that case was raised to $122,000 after the accident, but he was free on bail Saturday night when he met the three 13- and 14-year-old girls who died in the car the CHP says Curtis was driving.

The CHP says Curtis, the girls and 20-year-old Jeff Chaffin -- who also died in the wreck -- left a party just before 2 a.m. to get more beer.

The parents of Shantelee Batchelor say their 13-year-old daughter met Curtis on the local chatline called "Biosphere." That's the same chatline 17 News told you about before … the one where adult men have met underage kids and lured them to meeting places.

In at least two cases the children lured away from their homes were sexually assaulted. But law enforcement continues to maintain that the Biosphere chatline is legal, even if it makes no attempts to ensure that children aren't using the service.

That's little consolation for the families of three young girls, killed in this crash.

·
Official 3SI Mouth
2,168 Posts
"I hope capital punishment is issued in this case."

I hate to point this out, but it IS California we're talking about here. The state, not the perpatrator, will be found at fault, this shitstain on society will be given a slap on the wrist, and the familes of the victims will be told to go fuck themselves.

Enlightened society my ass.

-K

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Kenneth Ellis said:
"I hope capital punishment is issued in this case."

I hate to point this out, but it IS California we're talking about here. The state, not the perpatrator, will be found at fault, this shitstain on society will be given a slap on the wrist, and the familes of the victims will be told to go fuck themselves.

Enlightened society my ass.

-K
....yeah. yet another reason I'd never go live in the 'REPUBLIK OF KALIFORNIA'

(No offense to those that live there; it's just not my kind of place)

Elton

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thats too bad...

I work for a law firm here in Atl and I see wrongful death cases like this alot....Too bad our cars handle like shit at 100mph +...example my wreck at the Charlotte gathering (120mph).....JC

video... http://web.qx.net/cm1994/jack.mpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ummm, so was the car borrowed or stolen ?

Stupid and criminally negligent, IMO, to run 100 mph in ANY fog.

Don't know if the passengers had the opportunity but I'd certainly get out of any car ASAP where the driver was nutty enough to do 100 in fog.

Why do the idiot drivers (often drunk) so often get out OK ? Not fair, but I guess the driver's side only airbag on 91's and the cramped rear seating ended up screwing everyone but the driver.

And now the chatline is somehow being blamed in part ? Or is that just to tie it to their other story/cause ?

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Re: Thats too bad...

hulk67 said:
I work for a law firm here in Atl and I see wrongful death cases like this alot....Too bad our cars handle like shit at 100mph +...example my wreck at the Charlotte gathering (120mph).....JC

video... http://web.qx.net/cm1994/jack.mpg

If it weren't for the damage I would say I LOVED that video. :)

But were you really going 120? I mean that looked like LESS and 1/4 mile plus you hit the brakes. I would have thought it to be more like 90 or so?

And no offense (at all!) but the handling of ANY car would be bad with THAT hard of braking at 120mph AND turning at the same time. Heck, at the auto-x I see Porches and Audi TTs getting sideways at 40mph when turning and on the brakes. Your mistake was braking at the same time as turning, that will almost always throw the back end out on our cars... especially with stock 32f/28r psi tire pressures.

Again no offense meant...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Come to think of it...

Your probably right..I remember seeing 110....judging from the skids I was probably going under 120....who knows?...JC

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Re: Thats too bad...

hulk67 said:
Too bad our cars handle like shit at 100mph
Dude, I wouldn't say our cars handle like shit at 100mph....but the way YOU have to handle them does. The main reason I own this car is because of it's incredible stability at high speed. Anytime you get over 70-80mph....well, you start putting Sir Issac Newton in the drivers seat....and unless you are VERY familiar with his theories....you ARE going to kill yourself and likely somebody else. Anyway, what kind of fucking parents did these girls have? The guy sounds like he obviously has a piss poor reputation as it was and I'd be DAMNED it I allowed my 14YO daughter to go riding around with some 21 YO man. And Kenneth is pretty much on the mark with his assessment of how this will be handled unfortunately. There is no justice.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ryououki said:
Actually that looks like a 91 3000GT Base or SL model. If you click the enlargement photo and look at the rim on the car, it appears to be the base/SL wheel for that year.
Lost control? I don't think he would have lost control going into dirt -> road with awd/aws. But who knows, i've seen some pretty shitty drivers.

.jon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts