Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lovbyts
4,222 Posts
IMO you are doing it backwards. What good is the MAF Translator if you zero it out?

I had the same setup as you. I was running SAFC II and 550 injectors for SEVERAL years. Honestly I could never get it to run like I though it should but got it good enough to run for years without changing it with the starting point around -35, sort of. I had it dyno tuned and left it and it worked. 400 WHP but never felt right honestly.

I tried a few different routes like the ProM but never got it to work right due to the translator being bad from the get go and the company screwed me keeping it when I sent it in for repair.

I installed the MAFT about 6 months ago to the specs for the 550 injectors and set my SAFC II to all Zeros. My car has never ran so smooth as it does not with no hesitation or hick ups.

Honestly if I was you I would set your MAFT to the propper setting and the SAFC II to zero and see how you like it and then use the SAFC II to do the fine tuneing if you need to. Honestly I dont think you will.

Reactions: UnlikelyDoc

·
Lovbyts
4,222 Posts

·
Lovbyts
4,222 Posts
Paul - they do the same thing... just picking your poison. I have tuned many 3S on different fuels with JUST a translator and nothing else (not as versatile but doable)

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9
Yeah I know they do the same thing, Basically but the SAFC is a lot better for fine tuning where the MAFT is sort of set an go with few options for fine tuning so it just make more sense to me to use the MAFT for the base setting and the SAFC for any tweaking if I need to. So far I havent needed to and still have my SAFC set to all zeros because it runs so much better and smother than it did before.

I still plan on doing some fine tuning once I get my BlackStealth's monitor hooked up or if I decide to go with the EVO scan. Haven't decided what way I want to go yet.

·
Lovbyts
4,222 Posts
so, you didnt have to scale the injector size at all? just went with the 550 setting and used the maft only but you have the safc2 to fine tune per rpm, correct? i know if i choose just the 550 maft setting with the combo, the car runs very very lean. I have my injector setting to almost 400cc (ray uses some sort of method like that so the fuel values are in the negative and there is room to add more) of course, im not Ray and suck at tuning
#1 you have to remember every injector flows a little different. 550s that are balanced do not necessarily really flow 550 per say. They may be 560+ or 540-. They are just matched to all flow the same if you had them matched/balanced.

Im actually running "560s and I set it to 560 per the manual. I still have my SAFC set to all Zeros and from what I can see and feel it runs better than every.

I had my original 550s set to negative for the first 2 setting originally on my SAFC when it was tuned but honestly it never felt right and always ran rough. My car runs smother now with just the MAFT and the Delphi MAF than it every has.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts